PDA

View Full Version : Jaguar 6C70 and iApps

arn
Jun 19, 2002, 08:54 PM
Slaptech reports (http://www.slaptech.com/index.php#6C63) that Jaguar 6C70 was released last week... nothing that the install process has expanded to two cds. Few other details available.

Scanner support, however, seems to be coming along via Image Capture 2.0 according to ThinkSecret's (http://www.thinksecret.com/features/jaguarscannersupport.html) continuing Jaguar coverage.

Finally, RailheadDesign (http://www.railheaddesign.com) is indicating that upgrades to the various iApps (iTunes, iDVD, iMovie, and iPhoto) are on the horizon with Jaguar's final release in late summer.

firewire2001
Jun 19, 2002, 09:02 PM
i posted this eslewhere but no one responded.. and none of the other websites out thre seem to have noticed this...

there is an app in the utilities folder that seems to be for transferring files over bluetooth -- showing that apple may be adopting the blutooth standard in their imac, cause the icon of the program is an imac...

anyways, 10.2 is really coming along -- and has gone a real long way since their first build which really really sucked -- it included new quartz stuff and that was it -- as long with being as buggy as hell..

cheers to apple..

joed
Jun 19, 2002, 09:29 PM
So, does this mean that the iApps with get major upgrades - ie iTunes 2.0.4 becomes iTunes 3? Or will only be iTunes 2.1? for example.

I'm not using OSX yet (though I have used it) and am really looking forward to getting this new release and making the switch :)

CyberZorn
Jun 19, 2002, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by joed
So, does this mean that the iApps with get major upgrades - ie iTunes 2.0.4 becomes iTunes 3? Or will only be iTunes 2.1? for example.

Well one "feature" which has been talked about for a while is AAC (MPEG-4) audio in iTunes and the iPod .. with about 60% better compression of CD quality music (160 kps MP3 -> 96 kps AAC) I can get 1600 (5 gig) or 3200 (10 gig) songs in my pocket!

Kid Red
Jun 19, 2002, 09:46 PM
6C70 wasn't released, 6C63 was. The article says 6C70 nears release, though I'm not sure why they mention that when they only speak of 6C63.

joed
Jun 19, 2002, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by CyberZorn

Well one "feature" which has been talked about for a while is AAC (MPEG-4) audio in iTunes and the iPod .. with about 60% better compression of CD quality music (160 kps MP3 -> 96 kps AAC) I can get 1600 (5 gig) or 3200 (10 gig) songs in my pocket!

Yeah, I've been reading about this on Apple discussions a fair bit. But adding AAC support seems like a iTunes 2.1 type release. Maybe that's all it will be! Oh, and possibly only for OSX. This would seem logical extension of what Steve said at the WWDC.

eric_n_dfw
Jun 19, 2002, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by arn
Scanner support, however, seems to be coming along via Image Capture 2.0 according to ThinkSecret's (http://www.thinksecret.com/features/jaguarscannersupport.html) continuing Jaguar coverage.
Well, it's about time!!!!:eek:
Apple should have had this as soon as iPhoto came out.:mad:

I really hope Jaguar comes out soon!:rolleyes:

ryme4reson
Jun 19, 2002, 10:06 PM
Question for all:
If the iPod will now (QT6) support Mpeg 4 (ACC) will we be able to encode our current mp3 to compress even more, or will we just be able to use additional mp4 encoded music. Also, has any1 figured how to transfer songs from an iPod back to iTunes? I want to do this not because I am trying to pirate anything, but I reformatted my HD, and now all my songs are on the iPod, and I want a select few back on my PB.

Tue12
Jun 19, 2002, 10:11 PM
... Apple should not update the other iApps until iPhoto reaches the same version number as the others.

I find it severly disconcerting that the other iApps are at 2.x and iPhoto is only 1.1x. Apple's just begging for bad karma. :D

BTW, really digging IE 5.2s Quartz anti-aliasing. Shwweeet.

MM2270
Jun 19, 2002, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by ryme4reson
Question for all:
Also, has any1 figured how to transfer songs from an iPod back to iTunes? I want to do this not because I am trying to pirate anything, but I reformatted my HD, and now all my songs are on the iPod, and I want a select few back on my PB.

Yes, it can be done with a shareware app called XPod. You can find it easily on VersionTracker. The only downside to the app is that it copies ALL of your tunes from the 'Pod to your Mac. I don't believe it let's you select what songs you want to copy over (last time I checked). But it's a start at least. Just dump whatever songs you don't want permanently on your PowerBook.

Mike

Nipsy
Jun 19, 2002, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Tue12
... Apple should not update the other iApps until iPhoto reaches the same version number as the others.

I find it severly disconcerting that the other iApps are at 2.x and iPhoto is only 1.1x. Apple's just begging for bad karma. :D

That's like saying "I think Apple should not update OSX until all other programs reach version 10."

Dude, its a number at the end of a name...just be happy Apple never fell into the idiotic trap of naming versions after years!

CyberZorn
Jun 19, 2002, 10:23 PM
If the iPod will now (QT6) support Mpeg 4 (ACC) will we be able to encode our current mp3 to compress even more, or will we just be able to use additional mp4 encoded music.

My guess is Apple won't push this or make it easy to do since encoding a MP3-extracted AIFF file into ACC would loose a good amount of quality(maybe not for the casual listeners, but I can tell). I'd recommending popping your CDs back in for a re-encoding session for the purest music you can get.

If you did want to do it... its very AppleScriptable via QT Pro.

eunuchs
Jun 19, 2002, 10:42 PM
Question for all:
If the iPod will now (QT6) support Mpeg 4 (ACC) will we be able to encode our current mp3 to compress even more, or will we just be able to use additional mp4 encoded music.Recompressing an MP3 to AAC could probably be done, but getting anything worthwhile out of the conversion (smaller size, better fidelity) is doubtful. Both algorithms are designed to work with raw audio. When an MP3 is encoded, information is discarded that AAC would use for its own encoding. Without that data, AAC is severely handicapped. In truth, re-encoding your files would probably result in poorer sound quality.

billiam0878
Jun 19, 2002, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Kid Red
6C70 wasn't released, 6C63 was. The article says 6C70 nears release, though I'm not sure why they mention that when they only speak of 6C63.

I've been tinkering with build 6C35- I take it 6C35 ("35" compared to "70") must be an earlier build. Nevertheless, I find 6C35 to be quite responsive; a definite improvement from 10.1.5.

Bill

McFreggle
Jun 20, 2002, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by Nipsy

That's like saying "I think Apple should not update OSX until all other programs reach version 10."

Dude, it a number at the end of a name...just be happy apple never fell into the idiotic trap of naming versions after years!

Besides, if it really would matter that iPhoto had the same number as the other apps, they could jump from iPhoto 1 to iPhoto 3, like Netscape did with its 4 --> 6 transition. Although I think Apple would never do such a thing.

k.

blogo
Jun 20, 2002, 03:16 AM
iMovie also needs an update, mpeg4 export and such.

And it is still buggy on osx.

ryme4reson
Jun 20, 2002, 03:33 AM
Hey thanks MM2270 I d/l Xpod and it seems that it will do exactly what I need. Thanks again!

mywar2000
Jun 20, 2002, 03:50 AM
As stoked as I am on mpeg-4.... I will have 20+ gigs of mp3's to re-rip.... arrrrgh.

McFreggle
Jun 20, 2002, 04:53 AM
Originally posted by mywar2000
As stoked as I am on mpeg-4.... I will have 20+ gigs of mp3's to re-rip.... arrrrgh.

... unless Apple provides us with a MP3 --> MPEG 4 conversion programme within iTunes 3...

k.

nerickson
Jun 20, 2002, 07:00 AM
I won't worry about the mp3, mp4 thing until I get an iPod... perhaps an update at MWNY?? There are refurbished ones at a few places right now but I just can't order knowing that the big show is in a few weeks.

iMovie 2 needs a major update! I love the program and use it constantly but there are some annoying bugs that just shouldn't be there after nearly two years!

Hopefully iPhoto will take advantage of Jaguar and speed up a bit.

rugby
Jun 20, 2002, 07:27 AM
I can't wait for AAC, I'm out of space on my 5gb iPod since I use it to transfer files around also. Putting more songs on would be a big plus, or having the same amount of songs on in a smaller space would be cool too.

I will definitely re-encode all my songs into mp4 format, but it should be quicker once I get my dual 1.5ghz G5.;)

BwanaZulia
Jun 20, 2002, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by McFreggle

... unless Apple provides us with a MP3 --> MPEG 4 conversion programme within iTunes 3...

k.

Going from MP3 --> AAC is a waste of time. It is like taking a photograph of a photo copy.

In order to get the better quality and size you will have to go back to the source (CDS) and re-rip them. Personally, I am ready to re-rip about 400 CDS. :)

BZ

Tagada
Jun 20, 2002, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by McFreggle

Besides, if it really would matter that iPhoto had the same number as the other apps, they could jump from iPhoto 1 to iPhoto 3, like Netscape did with its 4 --> 6 transition. Although I think Apple would never do such a thing.

k.

Apple DID this with it's OS version until 6 arrived !
Beside, at the time, the game was about adding a word to the product name like Macwrite, Macwrite Plus, Macwrite Pro, Macwrite XP ( :p )

Moxiemike
Jun 20, 2002, 08:31 AM

I hear that. I've got almost three times that. :eek: :eek: :eek:

MasterX (OSiX)
Jun 20, 2002, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by eric_n_dfw

Well, it's about time!!!!:eek:
Apple should have had this as soon as iPhoto came out.:mad:

I really hope Jaguar comes out soon!:rolleyes:

I asked for scanner support in iPhoto, it will come. Actually everything I asked for in OSX has come or will be here with 10.2. Heck might as well just ask me what else I requested...it's like a backstage pass to the future.

MasterX (OSiX)
Jun 20, 2002, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Eple
iMovie also needs an update, mpeg4 export and such.

And it is still buggy on osx.

I agree iMovie needs either a version 3, or my idea iMovie Pro. Either way feel free to export to MP4 now, using the advanced button. QuickTime is just supported, so once it's supported apps instantly get the new advantages. The OS X finder can play MP4 movies for example, or how with OpenGL it's the same deal. When OpenGL came out with altivec support everythign ran 30% faster. Ahh, the good old days of 30% speed boosts. Now we all clamur after 10%....

Oh yeah, so if you have QuickTime6 you can export to MP4 from any app (QuickTime player, iMovie, FinalCut, After Effects, whatever) and apps that use QT as their basis (FCP for example) will also run faster due to QT6 speed boosts.

TechLarry
Jun 20, 2002, 02:48 PM
Two CD's ?

LOL! So much for a downloadable update :)

Everyone, get yer $20 "S&H Fee" ready!

TL

MasterX (OSiX)
Jun 20, 2002, 03:33 PM
Windows is bloated, MacOS X is just big. There's a difference darn it! Cocoa is great: easy to develop with, easy to deliver (drag and rop install), and fast run time. Only downside is the huge file size. I knew OSX was right on the limit of the CD before (maximum compression should yeild arund 1.3GB of data). Now that OSX is on 2 CDs perhaps apple will consider making DVD drivers standard and shipping new macs with 1 DVD disk, instead of being silly with 8 CDs.

Again I will state that I doubt OSX will be "free" again. You had to pay to get OS 8, 8.5, 9, and X. Apple gives away (assuming you have fast internet or beloved coupons) OS updates that fix things they think you can expect from apple. OS 9.04 unified 9.0, 9.0.1, 9.0.2, 9.0.3 users and fixed some issues. 9.1 was also free, assuming you went to apple.com and got the 80MB installer, or bought OSX 10.0. 9.2 was free because it helped smooth the transition to MacOS X. But with 10.2 Apple is really expanding the feature set for the first time since Mac OS 9. I mean besides the great stuff from MacOS X's system architecture (Quartz, Cocoa, multi-tasking). Don't get me wrong, those are the best features mac users could ask for, but things like LUXURY features: iTunes w/AAC, Sherlock 3, Instant Search, etc. Those are the things Apple charges for (see OS 8.5). Time will tell, but don't be shocked to see a $40 tag on a Upgrade CD (set). I want a fresh installer so I'll be paying wither way.

DavPeanut
Jun 20, 2002, 05:07 PM

Originally posted by Moxiemike
I hear that. I've got almost three times that. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Why do you have so many frikin' mp3's???? Where did you get them all? WHy do you need so many? Are you people DJ's or something?

funkybass
Jun 20, 2002, 05:29 PM
Well I've got a few gigs which doesn't amount to much since they're all encoded at 320 kb/s.
I don't know about everyone else but the difference between 128k and CD is huge. 320k and CDs are pretty close but they take up so much space. I'd consider getting an Ipod if it supported mp4.
Right now I'm using a minidisc since the encoding is far supoerior to mp3. I'd be able to put only a few songs on most of the mp3 players and most of them probably wouldn't know how to handle a 320 k/s mp3.

I have the feeling that there will be an mp3 - mp4 conversion algorithm that if not inbeded in itunes will most likely be available somewhere else.

L8

Nipsy
Jun 20, 2002, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by DavPeanut

Why do you have so many frikin' mp3's???? Where did you get them all? WHy do you need so many? Are you people DJ's or something?

The Beatles (whom I like) put out about 1000 songs.

I also like to hear covers by punk bands of Beatles songs (add another 1000).

Some of those punk bands I really like (add another 5000).

I also have my entire cd collection on my computer (add 15000, subtract 3000 for duplication of the above).

I also like to broaden my horizons by listening to classical music (+1000), '30s blugrass (+500), comedy (+1000), plus misc (+2500).

All this without having more than 1000 songs you can get a Whorehouse Music. mp3 and P2P have allowed me to discover music I would never have thought about buying, support artists previously unknown to me (through album purchase, and show attendance), and 'steal' those one track hits I may like, without buying the 13 I don't.

Some people have 20 cds, some have 2000...same with mp3.

j763
Jun 20, 2002, 05:49 PM
Jaguar is going to be big.... I can't wait :D

Ballresin
Jun 21, 2002, 02:22 AM
Oh! I can't wait for Jaguar. My mom's scanner has a driver through Classic, and it drives me nuts. It's amazing how absolutely $h**ty OS 9 looks compared to OS X. I want nativeness!

T'hain Esh Kelch
Jun 21, 2002, 05:03 AM
Originally posted by MasterX (OSiX)
But with 10.2 Apple is really expanding the feature set for the first time since Mac OS 9. I mean besides the great stuff from MacOS X's system architecture (Quartz, Cocoa, multi-tasking).
Uh yeah.. Expanding the feature set for the first time besides everything else they expanded with.. THAT makes sence.. :rolleyes:

voyagerd
Jul 7, 2002, 03:22 AM
6c87 works fine