PDA

View Full Version : Official 'American Idol' App Hits App Store

MacRumors
Mar 10, 2009, 10:54 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/03/10/official-american-idol-app-hits-app-store/)

American Idol Season 8 Exclusive [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=306532181&mt=8), $1.99], the first official iPhone application for the popular American Idol (http://www.americanidol.com/) television show, has arrived in the App Store.

Those who have not yet grown weary of the show can use the application to learn more about the show and contestants, as well as view weekly exclusive video clips.

Each week, you'll learn more about your favorite Idols with a new video from every remaining contestant. That's more than 77 original videos rihgt through the Finale! You can't find these videos anywhere else.

The app also allows users to predict the order in which contestants are voted off and track contestants' progress, and provides easy access to American Idol iTunes releases.

Article Link: Official 'American Idol' App Hits App Store (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/03/10/official-american-idol-app-hits-app-store/)

Drumjim85
Mar 10, 2009, 11:09 AM
how is this show still a huge hit?

marco114
Mar 10, 2009, 11:23 AM
I kinda like the show. I don't watch for the singing. The entertainment value alone is worth enough. Drama, overpimped bad singers, overtly gay guys, horrible group numbers, and guess what, this week they will butcher michael jackson songs.... it's got it all!

Tilpots
Mar 10, 2009, 11:45 AM
Randy Jackson is my DOG!:D

HyperZboy
Mar 10, 2009, 12:07 PM
You couldn't pay ME $30 to buy this App! LOL

the kid 05
Mar 10, 2009, 12:12 PM
this sounds exactly like the south park app that was denied...

ucfgrad93
Mar 10, 2009, 12:25 PM
While it looks nicely done, I won't be purchasing it.

guzhogi
Mar 10, 2009, 12:31 PM
I'll admit, I watch American Idol, but usually only the first episodes where they go to the different cities & audition. I love seeing the really awful/really weird people and see the judge's reactions.

While I'd never get the app, something I wish they did with this app is let people actually vote using it along with the way they do it now. Would be cool.

iSee
Mar 10, 2009, 12:58 PM
Macrumors:

Really?

American Idol?

Is this *really* the best app you could pick to promote? Really?

There wasn't anything else out there that has a litte more substance and a little less hype? Nothing? Really?

odedia
Mar 10, 2009, 01:07 PM
This is a promotional app, i don't understand why they are charging for this.

Drumjim85
Mar 10, 2009, 01:13 PM

cause it will make them money. they already have their audience hooked, they're just trying to profit off of them more.

Icestorm815
Mar 10, 2009, 01:13 PM

Anything to make more money off of overly enthusiastic fans. You know how they have "collector's editions" for movies with director's cuts, deleted scenes, and all of that stuff? Think of this app as something along those lines.

Mar 10, 2009, 01:49 PM
Hah! Love the
Those who have not yet grown weary of the show

part! American Idol and it's fans (I have some friends who love it) are just a bit pathetic. I've personally never been a fan and don't see why one would like it, but I guess it's their choice.

diemos
Mar 10, 2009, 01:55 PM
I hate these promo apps.

gr8gonzo
Mar 10, 2009, 03:43 PM
i like and watch idol but what happens to the app after the season is over? its senseless to pay $2 for it, there should be $0 charge for it

PoitNarf
Mar 10, 2009, 05:30 PM
I'd rather purchase iFart.

djdole
Mar 10, 2009, 05:50 PM
Unless users can actually make their votes from it, it's (utterly) worthless.

Drumjim85
Mar 10, 2009, 06:46 PM
i like and watch idol but what happens to the app after the season is over? its senseless to pay $2 for it, there should be $0 charge for it

i guess when the next season starts, they either update it or make you buy a new one. Isn't that how the baseball replay thing works? $5 / season

bobbleheadbob
Mar 10, 2009, 07:17 PM
I can't believe they're charging for this. Something like this should be free. It's promoting their show, for Pete's sake!

Mr. Giver '94
Mar 10, 2009, 08:54 PM
American Idol sucks you know what......

branjosef
Mar 10, 2009, 11:32 PM
I am so sick of American Idol....Please go away!!!! Please go away!!!

Shasterball
Mar 11, 2009, 05:25 AM
"Those who have not yet grown weary of the show"

Haha. Nice. :)

ert3
Mar 11, 2009, 07:16 AM
Great yet another overpriced and hugely useless application for the iPhone solely to exploit some of the less intelligent user market.

Rat-Boy
Mar 12, 2009, 07:38 AM
American Idol and it's fans (I have some friends who love it) are just a bit pathetic.
My wife simply likes to watch American Idol and see talented singers.

You choose to insult someone you have never met.

Yea, someone is pathetic alright.

Redgiemental
Mar 12, 2009, 05:06 PM
Anyone that can't find anything better to do with thier time than watch overrated karaoke IS pathetic.

Marco114 I hate people like you that willingly watch something knowing its trash.

Jeffrosproto
Mar 12, 2009, 05:20 PM
Seriously, all of the info in this app can be found on the American Idol website or wikipedia. And if not, it's still not worth the money.

Rat-Boy
Mar 13, 2009, 08:14 AM
Anyone that can't find anything better to do with thier time than watch overrated karaoke IS pathetic.

Marco114 I hate people like you that willingly watch something knowing its trash.And I hate people like you that insult people you have never met.

Over-rated karaoke?

Then how is it that most of them go on to be Platinum recording artists?

Again. You can rag on the show all you want, but insulting people you have never met is childish and immature.

marco114
Mar 13, 2009, 08:31 AM
And I hate people like you that insult people you have never met.

Thanks man. Really, there's so little on TV these days that's very good. I'd love to see them make the Idol "House" into a reality show as well. Might as well just go all in, right?

See the drama of them picking songs, personality conflicts, then we can see the "real" idols in all their glory.

Drumjim85
Mar 13, 2009, 10:01 AM

Most of them don't. And selling 1,000,000 units (in USA) doesn't have as much to do with the "artist's" talent as you may hope/think.

dclements21
Mar 13, 2009, 01:20 PM
And I hate people like you that insult people you have never met.

Over-rated karaoke?

Again. You can rag on the show all you want, but insulting people you have never met is childish and immature.

I agree with Rat-Boy re: insulting people you've never met - what the heck is all of this hate for? A "show"??? What ever happened to not saying anything at all if it wasn't nice?

Not trying to be Pollyanna here, just don't understand how reviewing an American Idol app came to making insults against people that watch a freakin television show.

Why don't we give opinions on the app and keep nastiness and "personal" attacks out of the conversation? :(

rburly
Mar 13, 2009, 01:46 PM

I don't think that's true. :rolleyes:

Rat-Boy
Mar 13, 2009, 05:26 PM
I don't think that's true. :rolleyes:Okay, fine, very successful at least. A lot of Idols have had very successful music careers, and not just the winners.

But whatever.

Arguing over how well they do after the show defeats the purpose of the real reason I posted in this thread to begin with so I apologize for allowing my self to get off track.

Even if the artists on the show all stunk, which they don't, it doesn't change the fact that insulting someone you have never met and calling them pathetic just because they like a TV show is about as lame and immature as it gets.

My wife is far from pathetic.

twoodcc
Mar 14, 2009, 10:49 PM
too bad this app isn't free

branjosef
Mar 15, 2009, 11:06 AM
too bad this app isn't free

to bad this app won't go away

branjosef
Mar 16, 2009, 11:03 AM
I wonder when they will do a Hannah Montana / American Idol crossover. She could go on American Idol in disguise (because no one knows who she is- she's in disguise :eek:) and then they can chronicle her journey to becoming the next american idol with a reality show on Disney, a Disney 3-D movie, MTV behind the scenes look at Miley Cyrus as Hannah Montana as the next American Idol, and they could also do a primetime Barbara Walter's special where Miley talks about how difficult it was to pretend that whole time because "thats just wrong" but she wants her fans to know she still loves them and is grateful for all the support. Inbetween the interview they could feature songs she sang but never wrote on her upcoming album that debuted at #1 but still has yet to be released as well as her autobiography that she wrote but didn't write because there is alot that can happen to a 15 year old and I want to read about it.

It could blanket the airwaves and monopolize TV for the entire year with Miley and the American Idol judges on every show (Martha Stewart, Entertainment Tonight, Superbowl, Cops, The World Series, Lost, Kat and Kim) and it would be "sooo awesome" according to producers and their focus groups. The country could be captivated at the fact that no one on the set realizes it's her despite Billy Ray Cyrus being on the set, her talentless hack of a voice, and occasional winking at the camera. It could be the American Idol answer to "Howie do it" because nobody can spot him under his disguise. :rolleyes: Then at the end, they reveal to the other contestants that they've been dupped as everyone acts suprised and says things like "Shuky Darn :rolleyes:....Oh golly, I had no idea :eek:.....Oooh that Miley, she's a prankster :p"

Then American Idol could release an App for that and the world can finally Blow up, but not before they export the show idea to other countries and we have a World Idol Showdown. :eek: Someone please kill me:confused: