PDA

View Full Version : Drink to this

wdlove
Apr 6, 2004, 01:31 PM
Evidence grows about benefits of moderate drinking

By Maggie Rosen, Globe Correspondent, 4/6/2004

A story on the Sunday night TV show, "60 Minutes," was the turning point.

Before that, for at least 2,000 years, people claimed alcohol had medicinal benefits, but no one knew for sure. In the dozen years since the show aired, scientists around the world have been looking at alcohol's upside, and their findings have been consistent: Drinking in moderation appears healthier than not drinking at all.

The show, which said this link might explain why French people have less heart disease than Americans, made it politically acceptable to talk about the pluses of alcohol and encouraged researchers to explore the health consequences of drinking, a number of scientists said.

http://www.boston.com/news/science/articles/2004/04/06/drink_to_this/

tpjunkie
Apr 6, 2004, 02:08 PM
If only the drunk thread was open...

Anyway, it does make sense in a way that drinking can be beneficial, especially in terms of heart disease because alcohol dissolves lipids, which is what the fatty deposits on arterial walls are made of.

stoid
Apr 6, 2004, 02:24 PM
If only the drunk thread was open...

Oh, but it is! (http://www.notanotherforum.com/showthread.php?t=98) ;)

rainman::|:|
Apr 6, 2004, 02:28 PM
a link to an article about a show about something we already knew. hmm.

paul

sethypoo
Apr 6, 2004, 03:23 PM
Oh, but it is! (http://www.notanotherforum.com/showthread.php?t=98) ;)

Can we restart the drunk thread here on MR? Or is that a big no-no I know nothing about?

Why exactly was it shut down?

stoid
Apr 6, 2004, 03:38 PM
Can we restart the drunk thread here on MR? Or is that a big no-no I know nothing about?

I think that the drunk thread started to mess with the overall karma balance in the universe. You can always try to restart it, worst case scenario it gets wastelanded right away.

wdlove
Apr 6, 2004, 08:48 PM

A lot of issues regarding Alcohol can be discussed in this thread. At least more of the beneficial.

PlaceofDis
Apr 6, 2004, 09:09 PM
ah the good days of talking about alcohol have returned LOL

this thread is a good reason for me to have a drink or two every night though, :D now only if all of you could see that smile on my face for real...not that im an alcoholic or anything, just a writer

macka
Apr 7, 2004, 12:29 AM
Yeah, the folks drink a glass of red wine a couple of times a week...funny red but never white. It's the red wine that "helps the heart" apparently.

Too bad beer doesn't seem to carry the same health benefits... :D

Sparky's
Apr 7, 2004, 08:43 AM
Yeah, the folks drink a glass of red wine a couple of times a week...funny red but never white. It's the red wine that "helps the heart" apparently.

Too bad beer doesn't seem to carry the same health benefits... :D

I agree, I to used to enjoy beer a great deal, Until a couple of years ago when my annual physical said otherwise. 40lbs overweight, 160/100 bp, 315 cholesterol count. Soooooo I went for a colonoscopy (I was 50 at the time) and they found 3 polyps 1 of which was cancer. After losing 6" of my colon and undergoing 4 months of intensive chemotherapy I am now clean. At that time I put it in my head I was going to clean up my act, seeing as God has given me another shot at life. I now (2 years later) enjoy a few glasses of wine (mostly red) and do have an occasional beer when I go out to dinner, but overall I feel good and alive.
I thought these articles would be interesting

stoid
Apr 7, 2004, 09:24 AM
http://www.macdesktops.com/images/640x480/DaniMac10Beer640x480.jpg

Sparky's
Apr 7, 2004, 09:26 AM
I do hope that wasn't a specimen left behind, I notice all the empties in the background.

cool shot stoid

stoid
Apr 7, 2004, 10:21 AM
I stumbled across it at www.macdesktops.com

A larger version adorns my desktop right now. :D