Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Wow. I still read macosrumors.com, especially recently as the rumor mill has been very slow. But check this out;

iPods will soon be turning up everywhere as web servers, pushing out a surprising amount of data through those little Firewire 400 controllers....

:D
Sometimes somethings so great you think of so many things to say but they won't come out.

AppleMatt

stoid

macrumors 601
Interesting idea. I know that the iPod HD is slow, but I would think that it'd be plenty fast enough to handle any reasonable web connection speed. I wonder how the smaller drives will hold up to the continuous use.

dukemeiser

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2002
Iowa
Probably not very well. I don't think those drives were designed for continual useage. They probably won't last long.

TDT

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2004
University of Iowa - Iowa
It takes far more than just a small hard drive to be an effective web server. At the bare minimum, you need to develop the base HTTP server stuff on an ipod...and even then it's most likely going to have some security flaws. IMHO, using an apple ipod as any sort of network file storage is kinda a waste of a good drive. I believe it's far better just to grab a cheapish computer, installing linux and Apache, and use it if you want a web server. The newer kernels even have gone so far as to allow HTML connections managed through the kernel, which is pretty amazing. The HTTP protocol isn't really difficult to implement, you can do it in 3 lines or so in Python, but it won't be really good, nor will it handle many clients at the same time...and on top of that, server side processing wouldn't be available.

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
stoid said:
Interesting idea. I know that the iPod HD is slow, but I would think that it'd be plenty fast enough to handle any reasonable web connection speed. I wonder how the smaller drives will hold up to the continuous use.

My iPod's holding up fine with my almost continuous use ;)

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
iPod clusters. . . 400 iPods clustered together to have the combined musical genious of . . a lot of music :-/

iPod RAID

unixPod. . . just plug your iPod into a firewire minitor/keyboard and you have the coolest most protable computer!

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
TDT said:
IMHO, using an apple ipod as any sort of network file storage is kinda a waste of a good drive.
Actually, it's more that using an iPod solely as a drive is an expensive waste of a perfectly good digital audio player. For what iPods cost, you can buy bigger or more drives. Plus you'd still have to hook it to a computer; it's not like it's got an Ethernet connection.

What might be fun is to remove the drive entirely (assuming you really don't care about the iPod's other capabilities), and put it in an enclosure, or use it to create the World's Tiniest Linux Box. :)

TRiPod

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2004
actually a program called DOT-POD already lets you use your ipod as a music server. it lets you go to an IP address, and it displays artists and everything on your ipod. the program is 30 bucks though, so i' just tried the demo. its probably on versiontracker if you wanna try it (i forget where i found it).

TDT

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2004
University of Iowa - Iowa
rueyeet said:
Actually, it's more that using an iPod solely as a drive is an expensive waste of a perfectly good digital audio player. For what iPods cost, you can buy bigger or more drives. Plus you'd still have to hook it to a computer; it's not like it's got an Ethernet connection.

What might be fun is to remove the drive entirely (assuming you really don't care about the iPod's other capabilities), and put it in an enclosure, or use it to create the World's Tiniest Linux Box. :)

For redundancy reasons, I have to disagree just buying another hardrive to fix some backup issues. I do not use the IPOD for any sort of backup, but by far backing up information to an external hard drive, and moving it out of the home is a good idea. This way, if one source is destroyed, you can easily recover. Everything in one location, or even in one computer, and problems develop fast if there are any errors/problems/fires/etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.