Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matt1974

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Durham, NC
A few weeks ago I posted a thread on the Macbook section where I speculated about Apple revealing hidden hardware through software updates. Many so-called savvy guys replied as if they'd be Apple staff engineers, saying Apple would NEVER do such a thing...

Now, according to today's news, this is what Apple could be doing with the 2nd Generation iPod Touch:

"...Apple also revealed that Bluetooth support can be activated in the 2nd generation iPod Touches."

So... what do you guys have to say???

Some of you remembered they did activate 802.11n via software update. Well, this is another example.

Enjoy!

Lkhn562

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2009
Dundee; Scotlandd(:
nah I dont think they would hide that, maybe they could take it from the wifi card and split it through software but i doubt it , there in it for the money so they would probably leave until later when the next touch comes out

sharp65

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2007
nah I dont think they would hide that, maybe they could take it from the wifi card and split it through software but i doubt it , there in it for the money so they would probably leave until later when the next touch comes out

What? The iPod touch 2nd gen does have bluetooth capabilities. It looks like this new firmware unlocks it to be used for more purposes.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Well, even if it was 'enabled' in the current OS, you couldn't do anything with it anyway. The functionality was also pretty limited with the iPhone, I think about the only thing it was good for was for wireless headsets.

It's only in 3.0 that the actual Touch-significant features using BT are added.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
Would be nice for a file transfer program. Maybe a disk mode enabled thingy would be way useful. Like Air Sharing only have a folder that you can transfer & view files to via bluetooth. Or better yet, have the touch enable disk mode. Yeah, that's the ticket.

thomahawk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2008
Osaka, Japan
looking at all this it makes me want to get a ipod 2g touch as well! but then, the only thing i want out of the ipod touch 2G is the volume control on the side! i might get one later in the future

pismodude2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
MacWorld
And now that it's paired, what can you do with it? Music, file transfer? Tether the touch via Bluetooth modem and phone? Huhh, can ya? Will be interesting to see what's locked out of normal connectivity options. Knowing Apple, quite a bit is my guess.

The beta is really buggy, and I haven't actually tried to explore those options yet (except for the music bit, my bluetooth headphones and this iPod rock!), but I doubt that file transfers will work.

kwk1

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2008
Canada
The beta is really buggy, and I haven't actually tried to explore those options yet (except for the music bit, my bluetooth headphones and this iPod rock!), but I doubt that file transfers will work.

What type/model of BT headphones do you use if you don't mind me asking?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.