Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Advance The Man

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2005
Old setup...
17" Powerbook, registered my iTunes on here, all media is on 2 TB external hard drive, all photos reside on Powerbook hard drive.

That's all I really care about transferring.

I got the iMac today and it walked me through a system where I hooked up a firewire between the two, but felt like I wasn't doing it right, so stopped. My fear is my iTunes will implode or something. I have two AppleTv's and two iPhones, so I can't afford to screw this up.

Want the iMac to control the iTunes, but still want all media on the external hard drive. I want the iMac hard drive to have all of the photos for iPhoto.

Can someone give me a 101, layman's way to do this?

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
When you do a fresh install, it installs all of the preloaded software as well unless you specifically tell it not to. I don't use most of that stuff anyway, so I deselect it to save hard drive space.

I don't use my computer in Russian either, so I can get rid of a few language localizations.

Benguitar

Jan 30, 2009
You should be able to just plug in the external HD and go to Migration Assistant and that should walk you through the transferring process. :);)

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    145.9 KB · Views: 73
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.