PDA

View Full Version : A GarageBand for PC!?

fille1000
Apr 12, 2004, 04:47 PM
Hi!
My friend has GarageBand on his MAC and I absolutely love it! It's exactly the software I need! The problem is that I have a PC and I cant seem to find any software like it. I've tried ACID, fruityloops, Cubase, but everyone of those lacks the simplicity that GarageBand has. So, does anyone have an idea of what I should get?

kanker
Apr 12, 2004, 04:49 PM
A Mac. :D

g30ffr3y
Apr 12, 2004, 04:52 PM
A Mac. :D

HA!!! so very true...

thats the thing... pc users miss out on the high quality of apple software... they snuff apple computers at every turn and then ask for pc equivelants of superior software...

just get the superior hardware and you wont have to worry about getting superior software...

fille1000
Apr 12, 2004, 05:09 PM
ok, but unfortunately I dont have the money to buy it...
So please give me a name of a software please.... a serious answer

jxyama
Apr 12, 2004, 05:25 PM

i really don't think there are any... what usually happens is that apple comes up with pretty cutting edge, one of a kind software and PC vendors emulate them... considering GB just came out, i think it could be a while before something like it would be "ported."

apple tries hard to sell iLife for this very reason - because software in it are unlike what's commonly available for Windows - and the only way to get them is to get a Mac...

OnceUGoMac
Apr 12, 2004, 06:06 PM
Let's see, Reaktor and Reason a far superior than Grageband, but the learning curve is a bit steaper. I'm surprised you like GB more than Fruity Loops, it is just as easy to use and is much better. What exactly are you looking for? Don't get me wrong guys, GB is nice, but it's not that good.

Horrortaxi
Apr 12, 2004, 06:18 PM
Acid is the closest thing I've found.

kanker
Apr 12, 2004, 10:13 PM
So please give me a name of a software please.... a serious answerSorry man, I just couldn't resist. On a more serious note, check out the demo for Ableton Live (http://www.ableton.com/index.php?main=live), might do the trick, but it ain't exactly free (or the $50 for iLife for that matter).

fille1000
Apr 12, 2004, 10:17 PM
Well FuityLoops isnt able to record from the mic or line-in, GB is.
The thing is I want to record my own guitar and voice and stuff, and then play it with various finished samples.. something like that.
Acid is pretty close, but I hate the way it looks and the way you "paint" on the loops, bluh!

Crikey
Apr 13, 2004, 12:52 AM
At the MacWorld Expo keynote speech when he introduced GarageBand, Steve Jobs said the closest thing to it on the PC is a program called Cakewalk Home Studio, which sells for $80-130.

I thought that was a charitable remark for him to make.

GarageBand is fun, but it's only the beginning of cool software that runs on the Mac.

Crikey

redAPPLE
Apr 13, 2004, 01:39 AM

try getting one (a Mac, of course) on eBay. sell your pc (if it is worth something *joke*) and save for a Mac.

if you are true to your desire to use GarageBand, then follow this advice.

tjwett
Apr 13, 2004, 01:59 PM
Ableton Live

cubist
Apr 13, 2004, 03:04 PM
There are several different versions of Cakewalk, with slightly differing names. Some of them are extremely limited, some of them are extremely expensive; but yes, that is the closest thing on the PC side. Note that the cheaper versions may not include ANY software synths. Be very careful.

Krizoitz
Apr 13, 2004, 06:39 PM
Hi!
My friend has GarageBand on his MAC and I absolutely love it! It's exactly the software I need! The problem is that I have a PC and I cant seem to find any software like it. I've tried ACID, fruityloops, Cubase, but everyone of those lacks the simplicity that GarageBand has. So, does anyone have an idea of what I should get?

GarageBand is the first of its kind, much like iMovie was. There are products that approximate it but not with the same ease of use. In time PC companies will inevitably try and copy it, as they always do, but you'll have to wait and most likely it won't be as good.

Since you are tight on funds gettting a Mac isn't an option for you right now, but if you really like what you see you should consider it as a future option. Good luck in the meantime.

lind0834
Apr 13, 2004, 08:59 PM
Steinberg sells Cubase SX 2 for $799.99
An entry level eMac costs $799.99 (no discount) with iLife 04 installed.

Why are you complaining you can't afford a Mac?

Not only would you get the software you love, you'd also get a great piece of hardware.

fille1000
Apr 14, 2004, 03:53 PM
Well Im not gonna buy a MAC, at least not until I move out....
Thanks for all the answers by the way, Ill check out the Home Sudio, havn't noticed that one before. Thanks!
/Filip

ispeakmango
May 6, 2004, 04:11 PM
Guitar Pro almost the same thing just not as pretty. It's not just guitar either a friend of mine has it and does everything on it.

http://www.guitar-pro.com/

virividox
May 6, 2004, 05:14 PM
Well Im not gonna buy a MAC, at least not until I move out....
Thanks for all the answers by the way, Ill check out the Home Sudio, havn't noticed that one before. Thanks!
/Filip

Mac not MAC. hehe

BrianKonarsMac
May 6, 2004, 05:19 PM

Not only would you get the software you love, you'd also get a great piece of hardware.
perhaps you'd like to buy it for him? Garage Band is a bit underpowered compared to Cubase.

Squire
May 6, 2004, 06:05 PM
I know it's something completely different, but have you tried the Line 6 Guitar Port? Now there's something I'd like to have that's offered to PC users but not available on the Mac.

Squire

MacAficionado
May 6, 2004, 06:50 PM
I thought Windows had millions upon millions of software titles available. Certainly there must be something available that is as good as GarageBand for free! :D

Flowbee
May 6, 2004, 07:04 PM
Ableton Live

...is nothing like Garageband.

I love Live, but come on, recommending it to someone who's looking for a Garageband type app is just wrong.

legion
May 6, 2004, 07:48 PM

That's the dumbest thing I've ever read.

CubaseSX2 does way, way, way more than GarageBand. It also comes with a steeper learning curve.

To put it in Apple-speak, this is like comparing FCP HD (== CubaseSX2) and iMovie (== GarageBand.) Do you see the flaw in your logic (pun intended) now??

BornAgainMac
May 6, 2004, 09:07 PM
I feel Windows is for playing content, not creating it. I don't know any PC users that do anything creative or create anything. Windows probably isn't for you if you are interested in creating music.

danlipsy
Jun 5, 2004, 08:46 PM
I feel Windows is for playing content, not creating it. I don't know any PC users that do anything creative or create anything. Windows probably isn't for you if you are interested in creating music.

It is quite humerous to watch some Mac users who are so religious about Macintosh. Some of us out there shouldn't need to get an Ilife or buy a Macintosh to enjoy a program like Garageband. It would be one thing if low-end Macs were in the $300 to $500 price range, but when you are saying that $800 (or thereabouts) is a deal I have to laugh.

If Apple doesn't appeal to PC users with Garageband, someone else will with something as useful. Given some time and study, I think I could maybe come up with something in the spirit of Garageband, with a few additional things that I as a keyboard player and programmer would like to add.

I wouldn't so quickly discount the millions of PC users and claim that they don't do anything creative. If you really believe that, I'll leave you worshipping at the shrine of Apple and I'll be laughing on my way to the bank.

Dan

wide
Jun 5, 2004, 09:38 PM
It is quite humerous to watch some Mac users who are so religious about Macintosh. Some of us out there shouldn't need to get an Ilife or buy a Macintosh to enjoy a program like Garageband. It would be one thing if low-end Macs were in the $300 to $500 price range, but when you are saying that $800 (or thereabouts) is a deal I have to laugh.

If Apple doesn't appeal to PC users with Garageband, someone else will with something as useful. Given some time and study, I think I could maybe come up with something in the spirit of Garageband, with a few additional things that I as a keyboard player and programmer would like to add.

I wouldn't so quickly discount the millions of PC users and claim that they don't do anything creative. If you really believe that, I'll leave you worshipping at the shrine of Apple and I'll be laughing on my way to the bank.

Dan

:)

Now I know that I am not alone

TitaniumX2
Jun 5, 2004, 09:45 PM
I think its funny (rabid) PC users and programmers frequent a Mac (rumors no less) site to ask their questions to find equivalent programs.

If we (as Mac users) are so naive and uninformed, why ask us to find you replacement software? Could it be the sheer bloat of applications and their lack of quality... just maybe?

Oh, wait, it must be because you can make fun of us... but then can't do so with proper spelling or grammar (yet M$ made the spell-checker, text processors, water, mouse-clicking [double-clicking by patent :P]) It must be that we have such sub-par software that you can lord it over... yet what is the past 3 years of Windows Movie Maker if not a massive game of catchup in which even Paul Thurott, the most zealous of Mac bashers behind John C. Dvorak [may he writhe in the ignorant flames he writes], gauges everything on Apple's iMovie (and all progeny of digital organizing, even in PC magazines, include a blurb detailing Apple's unique and near prescient entry into the field before it even took off)

But I'm just a sycophant, not a published Human Computer Interaction engineer and Mac software engineer... oh wait, I am, so obviously I can't be that ignorant, or they'd leave me in the editing room trash can (I mean recycling bin :D)

And for all the money whiners, I mean conscious, when you shop for a car do you walk and tell the dealer, "I want the cheapest car on the lot, it needs to haul a** and be the best and last 10 years" or do you go in, find what truly suits your needs, and pay for it? A computer is not only equipment, its an investment if you plan to use it. If not, quit grousing about the price and pony up for what you actually want instead of waiting for a coupon on another beige box that apparently doesn't measure up.

sonofsam
Jun 7, 2004, 05:00 PM
I have to agree with bornagain to an extent in my personal experience. All of my friends that are in creative fields such as music production, graphic design and video/DVD creation use a Mac. That is not to say that no one on PC is creative. It just tells me that most creative professionals I know prefer the Mac.

There are plenty of PC apps available to do what GB does and more. But none of them have the elegance and ease of use that GB does. That is what makes Apple great. They innovate and the others follow suit and never quite get it right.

:-)

aafuss1
Jun 12, 2004, 12:54 AM
Hi!

The eJay series is very popular (I've used a full version of Dance eJay 2+ from UK's PC Format magazine) and is loop based. Also Sony ACID and Codemaster's Music 2000 (I own the latter), MAGIX Music Maker.

CmdrLaForge
Jun 12, 2004, 06:21 AM
Hi,

even if I think the best thing would be to get a Mac. What I think would be best for you is Music Maker from :
Magix (http://www.magix.com)

Its not expensive and quite useful. You will not get the great Apple loops, but some not so bad loops. And you can buy more if you need them.

Have fun.

aafuss1
Jun 12, 2004, 10:29 PM
Hi,

even if I think the best thing would be to get a Mac. What I think would be best for you is Music Maker from :
Magix (http://www.magix.com)

Its not expensive and quite useful. You will not get the great Apple loops, but some not so bad loops. And you can buy more if you need them.

Have fun.
Yes, I'd recommend it too and also I saw a Magix midi Studio software for about AUD$23.

fingers
Jun 14, 2004, 04:29 AM
You could try Pro Tools Free from Digidesign - no software instruments though...

Propellerhead's Reason is a very cool app - but no recording audio capabilities are offered.

I know many people have compared GarageBand to Acid (I have never used it tho. ) - so you may get something similar there - but i can guarantee that none of the available pc music apps will have that Apple magic - the GUI is pretty special they have done a fantastic job.

GB is as simple as you want it to be - it makes it fun to make music. My brother works with many top song writers who are using it. So it really does appeal to musicians at all levels - similar to Reason in that respect - but Reason will not do the whole picture - (if you just wanna throw loops together and work with midi then it may be all you need).

If you are SERIOUS about doing audio I would suggest biting the bullet and get a Mac.

Good Luck

Rich

Marble
Jun 23, 2004, 08:47 PM
Check out Tracktion (http://www.mackie.com/products/tracktion/). And forget Cakewalk. Tracktion is an $80 software package that can do a huge amount that many of the big expensive sequencers can. But that's not really it's selling point. Tracktion has a really easy, fluid, single-screen interface that is actually enjoyable to use (enjoyable is something that hasn't particularly been associated with the UI of the major sequencing softwares these days). If you get Tracktion, it is conceivable that it may fit perfectly into your niche, but just in case, there's a good full-featured demo available from the link above.

Really, I don't know why more people don't use this wonderful tool. It is frequently updated and there is a wonderful community at KvR, where the developers actually talk to their users about the features they'd like implemented.

angelneo
Jun 23, 2004, 09:11 PM

Dan

I look forward for your software Dan. Millions of PC users are waiting for it.

MacG5ver
Jul 6, 2004, 02:36 PM
I know it's something completely different, but have you tried the Line 6 Guitar Port? Now there's something I'd like to have that's offered to PC users but not available on the Mac.

Squire

There is (now). Check Native Instruments Guitar Rig. It's available for PC and Mac... by the way ... if you know something about the Mac OS X architecture (hint: Audio Core) you'll know the Mac will blast the PC away.

Tulse
Jul 6, 2004, 03:19 PM
Some of us out there shouldn't need to get an Ilife or buy a Macintosh to enjoy a program like Garageband.
Why should Apple produce an essentially free application that doesn't need a Macintosh? What would Apple get out of it? Sure, Apple does produce iTunes for Windows, but that is to sell iPods and the iTMS.

The negligible cost of GarageBand is only really possible because it is a way to promote Macs. It would be silly to expect Apple to produce the same software for the same price to use on Windows machines -- there just isn't a business case for it.

Squire
Jul 6, 2004, 04:56 PM
There is (now). Check Native Instruments Guitar Rig. It's available for PC and Mac... by the way ... if you know something about the Mac OS X architecture (hint: Audio Core) you'll know the Mac will blast the PC away.

Thanks. I noticed in the Keynote. It looks a lot better than Guitar Port in a lot of ways (i.e. the foot pedal) but I don't think it's as much of a practice tool; it seems aimed a bit more at pros. Very cool, though.

Squire

danlipsy
Jul 6, 2004, 07:42 PM
Why should Apple produce an essentially free application that doesn't need a Macintosh? What would Apple get out of it? Sure, Apple does produce iTunes for Windows, but that is to sell iPods and the iTMS.

The negligible cost of GarageBand is only really possible because it is a way to promote Macs. It would be silly to expect Apple to produce the same software for the same price to use on Windows machines -- there just isn't a business case for it.

Maybe I don't completely understand the Mac Mentality. Yes, GarageBand should of course be cheaper for Mac users - no doubt! I'm not expecting Apple to shoot themselves in the foot (or apple core as the case might be).

However, if the program is as good as Mac users say it is, then why not sell it for PC for maybe 1.5-2x the price to PC users? I'm sure there would be quite a few interested. For those who say that Garageband requires a Mac's technology, I find that to be pretty bogus. My relatively old crappy PC could handle all the system requirements for a reasonable GarageBand-type program, and I've heard a number of GarageBand users only use cheap microphones and MIDI loops anyway.

Angelneo, I'm sorry, I can't figure out if you are sarcastic or serious. I'm really not sure about the hype Garageband has caused in the PC world, but I'm sure it would have some appeal. :cool:

Even the free Windows Sound Recorder is amazing! :-) Check out this link - (requires Flash, I think) (http://pya.cc/pyaimg/pimg.php?imgid=3622)

Dan

P.S. It's kinda nice to know that when I search for GarageBand in Google, that this post came up near the top and people actually were reading my post. ;)

Tulse
Jul 7, 2004, 03:27 PM
Maybe I don't completely understand the Mac Mentality. [...] if the program is as good as Mac users say it is, then why not sell it for PC for maybe 1.5-2x the price to PC users?

Because it serves to make people buy Macs, which have a far greater margin than does the software. It's been said innumerable times, but I'll say it again -- from a financial perspective, Apple is primarily a hardware company, and the software that it produces is designed largely to sell the hardware. You may call that the "Mac Mentality", but it's actually good business.

MacJunky
Aug 9, 2004, 02:23 PM
duh!!! look on ebay. u can get a pretty good mac for a really good price and once u get one u will never go back! the best one to get is either an ibook or an eMac thats my opinoin. i have an ibook but it falls apart. i had like 5 parts replaced. but no matter how much i falls apart i will still stay wit the OS.
GET A MAC!

dizastor
Aug 9, 2004, 03:54 PM
...look on ebay. u can get a pretty good mac for a really good price... ...i have an ibook but it falls apart. i had like 5 parts replaced...

Maybe that's not the best advertisement for buying a mac on eBay. I assume your intentions were great, but the delivery was amusingly bad.

Perhaps you should change your name to JunkyMac?

Callaginn
Aug 31, 2004, 10:01 PM
[QUOTE=danlipsy]It is quite humerous to watch some Mac users who are so religious about Macintosh. Some of us out there shouldn't need to get an Ilife or buy a Macintosh to enjoy a program like Garageband. It would be one thing if low-end Macs were in the $300 to $500 price range, but when you are saying that $800 (or thereabouts) is a deal I have to laugh.

Dan[/QOUTE]

I am not an avid Mac user, but I respect Apple. I have heard many good things about the company. Apples are much more secure than Windows computers. How much do you pay for virus protection, spyware protection, and repair bills each year?

But to help your cause I have searched the Internet far and wide for programs that I and other Windows users such as you can use in our quest for music creation software. Personally, I have tried only a few of them, such as "Acid" by Soundforge and am sure that at least a few of them are perfect for our use. Here is the list that I have compiled.

"Acid" by Soundforge
"Audacity"
"Adobe Audition" formally called "Cool Edit Pro"
"Cakewalk Kinetic"
"Cakewalk Home Studio 2004"
"Quartet X2 Music Studio"
"Traktion"
"Band-in-a-Box 12"
"Tabit"
"Fruityloops Studio"
"Ableton Live"
"Cubase SX2"
"Dance eJay"
"Codemaster's Music 2000"
"MAGIX Music Maker"

:) I recommend that you try to download free trials of these programs before you buy it.

If you need free or low cost musical loops you can try one of these:
Bitshift Audio
Access Music
Google search for free loops

:cool: I hope you have luck in your search for a program such as GarageBand. I am interested to know if any of these programs work for you.

jtgotsjets
Aug 31, 2004, 11:43 PM

Dan

well, ignoring the fact that the creative world runs on macs...

you can get a low end mac for 300-500 dollars. things like crt imacs go for that (often cheaper) on ebay and still run OSX fine. a lot of creative professionals are still on blue and white g3s or worse. with enough ram, garageband would still be viable.

CmdrLaForge
Sep 1, 2004, 02:43 AM
well, ignoring the fact that the creative world runs on macs...

you can get a low end mac for 300-500 dollars. things like crt imacs go for that (often cheaper) on ebay and still run OSX fine. a lot of creative professionals are still on blue and white g3s or worse. with enough ram, garageband would still be viable.

No - it wouldn't ! GarageBand runs like crap on a G3 system. I bought it and tried it on my iBook G3 900MHz. Its just tooo slow. Forget it.

Running the OS is a different story, but forget GarageBand

Mav451
Sep 1, 2004, 03:11 AM
That's odd, my PC-using friend has created a ton of flyers and projects for clients without even getting close to a Mac. She actually did alot of her work freshmen year on a WinME computer. Yes, you heard me WinME.

Her creativity wasn't automatically lower just b/c she was on a PC. Things didn't change when she moved to XP--i mean, the random kernel errors of ME all but disappeared, but her skill in designing Photoshop content was hardly impacted by the OS.

The two Mac users I know on campus are hardly what I call creative. One is a frat boy, the other is...smelly and from what I remember from my conversation with him, he didn't bring up Photoshop or iLife even once. He stuck to the usual anti-XP/MS diction of course (the smelly one)... The frat boy just showed me iTunes...which is hilarious cuz i already have it.

CmdrLaForge
Sep 1, 2004, 05:35 AM
That's odd, my PC-using friend has created a ton of flyers and projects for clients without even getting close to a Mac. She actually did alot of her work ....

Of course you can do creative work on a PC. This discussion is like all the discussions about cameras. But what in the end counts is what comes out of your work. Like some people always prefer Nikons where others prefer Canons. But in reality some of the greatest shots are done on old unknown ones.

Same here, if you are creative, it doesn't matter wether you use a PC or Mac.

Cheers

purplehaze
Sep 1, 2004, 05:51 AM
"I have a mac and a bigger penis than you..."

- no, wait

"I have a pc and a bigger penis than you..."

/guys with small penises. And brains.

jdechko
Sep 2, 2004, 01:07 PM
I've used Adobe Audition a bit. It's expensive, and not nearly (IMO) as good as GarageBand, but it'll do.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=92&platform=Windows

oliverandus
Nov 21, 2004, 02:19 PM
1. Steinberg Cubase makes an entry level with VST instruments Cubase SE for 199.00 you can get the SE without VST Instruments for 99.00. I own this program and love it. I have never had to upgrade anything.

Alternatively, there is Audacity. Which is Freeware. Works on Mac, Linux, Windows and Unix. Can play all formats and also read and write across all formats.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/images/screen/macosx/main.png

heres a link....

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

only1lestat
Aug 27, 2007, 07:09 PM
I've recently had the exact same experience myself. My GF bought a Mac book with OS X this summer and it came with GB and I really liked it fast. I came here looking for a PC version too. I think I found what I was looking for.

Personally I think comparing Mac to PC is kind of like comparing a male to a female. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. The Mac has lots of really cool programs that really are much better than programs I've found on a PC, like GB. However, I really like downloading torrents and on the Mac, it's not something that is not as available as far as torrent clients The only torrent client I could find for a Mac was not free. I also noticed MSN messenger was not available for Mac but that's not much of a loss. Perhaps it's my lack of knowledge with Mac and there's other ways. For now, I feel that PC and Mac are equal, except for maybe the price.

I am still new to Mac and honestly used to think they were not for me. I've heard about how are great Macs are for people who were doing creative design. I've also had many friends with Macs fill me in with the details about how some features with their messengers are not available.

I can really relate with you on the price. My GF paid $2000 for hers and getting one of my own is just a bit out of my price range. So I'll continue to play with the GF's Mac and check out some of these other programs posted for the PC.

BTW, if any of you reading this and is an avid Mac user and think they could direct me to a site for a novice Mac user like myself just trying to figure out how to navigate, please feel free to e-mail me a link, thanks.

CanadaRAM
Aug 27, 2007, 07:22 PM
Steinberg has recently shipped Sequel (http://www.steinberg.net/1301+M52087573ab0.html) which is a head-to-head competitor to GarageBand. Loops, included instruments, etc.

Others have mentioned Mackie Traktion 3 (http://www.mackie.com/products/tracktion3/index.html)
Cakewalk Music Creator (http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/MusicCreator/default.asp)($39)
FLStudio FruityLoops edition ($99) or Express ($49) (http://www.flstudio.com/documents/features.html)

Acid BTW is made by Sony, no longer Soundforge

Cromulent
Aug 27, 2007, 07:38 PM
Personally I think comparing Mac to PC is kind of like comparing a male to a female. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. The Mac has lots of really cool programs that really are much better than programs I've found on a PC, like GB. However, I really like downloading torrents and on the Mac, it's not something that is not as available as far as torrent clients The only torrent client I could find for a Mac was not free. I also noticed MSN messenger was not available for Mac but that's not much of a loss. Perhaps it's my lack of knowledge with Mac and there's other ways. For now, I feel that PC and Mac are equal, except for maybe the price.

MSN Messenger is available on the Mac but hardly anyone uses it. Use Adium (http://www.adiumx.com/) instead.

Transmission and Azureus are both free and respected bit torrent clients available for the Mac.

erikistired
Aug 27, 2007, 08:10 PM
Maybe I don't completely understand the Mac Mentality. Yes, GarageBand should of course be cheaper for Mac users - no doubt! I'm not expecting Apple to shoot themselves in the foot (or apple core as the case might be).

However, if the program is as good as Mac users say it is, then why not sell it for PC for maybe 1.5-2x the price to PC users? I'm sure there would be quite a few interested. For those who say that Garageband requires a Mac's technology, I find that to be pretty bogus. My relatively old crappy PC could handle all the system requirements for a reasonable GarageBand-type program, and I've heard a number of GarageBand users only use cheap microphones and MIDI loops anyway.

Angelneo, I'm sorry, I can't figure out if you are sarcastic or serious. I'm really not sure about the hype Garageband has caused in the PC world, but I'm sure it would have some appeal. :cool:

Even the free Windows Sound Recorder is amazing! :-) Check out this link - (requires Flash, I think) (http://pya.cc/pyaimg/pimg.php?imgid=3622)

Dan

P.S. It's kinda nice to know that when I search for GarageBand in Google, that this post came up near the top and people actually were reading my post. ;)

apple makes software for their OS, why would they want to make software for windows, their direct competitor. i'm still not even sure why they ported safari to windows. itunes of course speaks for itself. garage band is definitely a cool program, even if you're just playing around.

sananda
Aug 28, 2007, 08:25 AM
1. i use bittottent on my mac. this is the one i use: www.bittorrent.com. i don't know how it compares to others as it's the only one i've used.

2. there is msn for mac. but it doesn't do webcams. so i use amsn.

clevin
Aug 28, 2007, 09:38 AM
i'm still not even sure why they ported safari to windows.

to encourage developers working under windows to produce web-based stuff for iphone. sorry most developers don't work on osx.

CanadaRAM
Aug 28, 2007, 12:16 PM
FFS, people, there was a point to this thread, originally. GarageBand equivalents? Remember?

Please take the religious wars to another thread, or get a motel room, or something ;)

phungy
Aug 28, 2007, 12:22 PM
snip

Wow, bringing a thread back after ~2.7 years...that's a new record :p:apple:

crocodile-7
Nov 10, 2007, 04:47 PM
Hi!

:) Well, there is a software for PC users that looks like garageband. It's called MAGIX MUSIC MAKER 12 DELUXE. It looks about the same as the Garageband but for PC. You could even do the same thing as you would do in garageband and more like play piano on your computers keyboard. It's not free. I bought it for like 50 bucks. Either go to WWW.MAGIX.COM and buy the software online or go to a retail store like COMPUSA and buy it there. I recommend it for people who want a software like garageband but for PC users.

There is also Magix Music Studio 12 Deluxe for 80 bucks but I haven't tried it. I'm too cheat to buy a software for that much. Plus, Magix Music Maker is fine for people who are beginners like me.

QuantumFireball
Jan 3, 2008, 04:06 PM
I don't know if you know about this but there is a crack for Mac OSX Leopard that lets you install it on a PC. I would get a 40-80 Gig hard drive (seperat from the one you already have for your PC). Then disconect your <Current_OS> drive so you don't accidentally over wright it, then use the OSX Leopard and iLife Torrents to set up your Hackintosh ;)

Callaginn
Jan 20, 2008, 03:54 PM
I don't know if you know about this but there is a crack for Mac OSX Leopard that lets you install it on a PC. I would get a 40-80 Gig hard drive (seperat from the one you already have for your PC). Then disconect your <Current_OS> drive so you don't accidentally over wright it, then use the OSX Leopard and iLife Torrents to set up your Hackintosh ;)

It's called the OSX86 Project.

I installed osX on a partition alongside Windows XP about six months ago. Although I was able to boot into it, I was unable to install any software. But, I was impressed that I could surf the web on it. You can also install it on a virtual machine.

See ya,
Callaginn

P.S. By the way, I eventually was able to determine that FLStudio is the closest & easiest to use alternative to GarageBand. Once you understand the basics of it, it actually does very well.

BaRaKa-Sound
Mar 21, 2008, 06:15 PM
Well FuityLoops isnt able to record from the mic or line-in, GB is.

Obviously he hasn't used FL much. Can do WAY more than GB. You can record ASIO direct into any of FL's mixer channels, or use the integrated sample editor if you lack an asio sound card. (in any channel box, hit cntl-E to open editor)

Anyways, there is a a few 'garageband clones' for pc ...there's 'M-Audio Session' And they make good software so it's probobly alright. Also there is 'Steinberg's Sequel' ... and a few others..

Honestly you'd be better off with Acid. The time-stretching and beatmapping is still unrivaled (except for ableton, which is at par) The editing in acid is fast. you can beatslice and sequence with ease and everything stays in sync.

Most apple software requires your loops to be apple'ized first. having to use a seperate utility. (Acid does all this automatically within the software) This technology was first made by sonic foundry. Apple copied them. So why do you want a clone of a clone? (holds arms in front of face) I'm not a pc fanboy. i only run a mac now it's all i need. (Ableton is my choice)

supergrandma
Mar 21, 2008, 09:08 PM
Mixcraft is a basic, GarageBand-esque application for Windows that I have used and would recommend as an alternative. Of course, nothing beats GarageBand...

keehun
Mar 21, 2008, 09:43 PM
Sorry man, I just couldn't resist. On a more serious note, check out the demo for Ableton Live (http://www.ableton.com/index.php?main=live), might do the trick, but it ain't exactly free (or the $50 for iLife for that matter).

Well, iLife comes with an :apple: ;)