Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BicyclePunk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 26, 2002
Somewhere near Philadelphia
Hi there...well...I'm on a G4 Dual 500 machine and it won't shut down any way unless I hold down the main power button. This has been going on for some time now. I just upgraded to 10.3.3 and still nothing. I want to say it has something to do with FontBook, but not sure. I know this is a needle in a haystack, but any help would be great. Thanks!

BicyclePunk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 26, 2002
Nope...no errors. It just stalls out....kind of. It doesn't freeze, and I can still open and work within most apps. But trying to shutdown or restart again does nothing.

You know...I haven't zapped pram in a long time...since OSX. How do I do it? Thanks.

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2003
Providence, RI
BicyclePunk said:
Nope...no errors. It just stalls out....kind of. It doesn't freeze, and I can still open and work within most apps. But trying to shutdown or restart again does nothing.

You know...I haven't zapped pram in a long time...since OSX. How do I do it? Thanks.

Restart holding down these four keys, Apple-Option-P-R

Good luck.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
To reset PRAM - hold command, option, p, r while booting. Let it chime 3 times.

To reset NVRAM- Then hold command, option, o, f while booting and when you get to the prompt type reset-nvram and hit enter, then type reset-all and hit enter.

BicyclePunk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 26, 2002
Ok Ok Ok....got it. For some reason, Extensis Suitcase was in my list of start-up items for the admin user. I think I tried to install that way back when I had to re-install everything on this machine. But installation never took place...except for that start-up item. So I dumped that and all is well. Gee....and it only took me three months. Thanks for all the help.

dragonflymd

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2004
my g4 won't shut down

I'm runnin 9.0.4 and it won't shut down. I tried zapping the pram. I also removed a Dave Sharing file that was in the shutdown items. But it still won't shut down, no errors, can still open programs, and when I go to shut down again it says, "The command could not be completed because you have already chosen Shut Down or Restart." Can anyone help?
Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.