PDA

View Full Version : Skype for iPhone Coming as Early as Next Week?

MacRumors
Mar 26, 2009, 01:32 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/03/26/skype-for-iphone-coming-as-early-as-next-week/)

GigaOM reports (http://gigaom.com/2009/03/26/skype-for-iphone-to-be-released-next-week/) that an iPhone version of Skype may be released as soon as next week, possibly at the CTIA Wireless (http://www.ctiawireless.com/) trade show in Las Vegas.A few months ago, I asked Skype CEO Josh Silverman when was he going to launch the iPhone version of the P2P voice and IM service that has now been downloaded more than 405 million times. He smiled and said, "Stay tuned." And so we did.

A tipster — a very reliable one — tells me that Skype is almost ready to launch that iPhone version, perhaps as soon as next week. CTIA Wireless, a large mobile industry trade event, kicks off in Las Vegas next Wednesday, so perhaps the announcement will be made there. I am working on getting more details, as well as screenshots of the service.While a number of iPhone applications currently support Skype, a standalone Skype application will undoubtedly appeal to many of the service's users.

Article Link: Skype for iPhone Coming as Early as Next Week? (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/03/26/skype-for-iphone-coming-as-early-as-next-week/)

DHarrisDBS34
Mar 26, 2009, 01:34 PM
Would this work on a iPod Touch in Wifi with a mic connected? That would be very nice.

iSimx
Mar 26, 2009, 02:05 PM
about time! looking forward to this. :p

arkitect
Mar 26, 2009, 02:07 PM
Great news… if true.

scirica
Mar 26, 2009, 02:18 PM
Great news… if true.

Agreed!

iMacoo7
Mar 26, 2009, 02:23 PM
Seems like awfully great timing as a new iphone will arise this coming summer (WWDC June 8th-12th) , might indeed carry a front facing camera. If the new iPhone is capable of connecting to the internet faster than previous models , this would help with the skype video calling feature, thus leaving allot of people happy as well

Mad Mac Maniac
Mar 26, 2009, 02:24 PM
baller

armhol
Mar 26, 2009, 02:25 PM
Would this work on a iPod Touch in Wifi with a mic connected? That would be very nice.

I'm pretty sure it would. You can do this already with 'Fring' or 'Nimbuzz'

happydude
Mar 26, 2009, 02:35 PM
would this break the terms of agreement for developers, i.e. creating a competing product of the iphone's native apps. seems like giving people the ability to talk on the iphone without using a cell service provider would go against those terms.

don't get me wrong, would be an amazing app, especially for touch owners. i just can't see apple supporting it.

arkitect
Mar 26, 2009, 02:38 PM
would this break the terms of agreement for developers, i.e. creating a competing product of the iphone's native apps. seems like giving people the ability to talk on the iphone without using a cell service provider would go against those terms.

don't get me wrong, would be an amazing app, especially for touch owners. i just can't see apple supporting it.

How would this be different from what others are doing right now? They are also "breaking" the terms of agreement and Apple isn't stopping them.

macusernick
Mar 26, 2009, 02:40 PM
i just can't see apple supporting it.

Honestly, I don't think Apple is the one who would care... AT&T would be. Apple will make their sale either way, but the carriers are the ones who lose. Having said that though, I bet AT&T will do about anything to keep Apple from going to the competition with the iPhone (see... OS 3.0 tethering?!). I know they had that deal with Apple, but I think that is running out and the iPhone is a beast of a money-maker.

djdjek
Mar 26, 2009, 02:42 PM
That would be great. Can't wait to test it.:apple:

vista.john
Mar 26, 2009, 02:43 PM
How would this be different from what for example Fring is doing right now?

I can't get fring to work smoothly most of the time. Voice stutter etc. etc.

arkitect
Mar 26, 2009, 02:50 PM

Sorry to hear. Works fine for me…
But… I was asking happydude why he thought it would be against Apple's rules.

Not because I am implying Fring (and others) are irreplacable. ;)

vista.john
Mar 26, 2009, 02:56 PM
Sorry to hear. Works fine for me…
But… I was asking happydude why he thought it would be against Apple's rules.

Not because I am implying Fring (and others) are irreplacable. ;)

I see...

nilo
Mar 26, 2009, 03:12 PM
I think skype calls will only work on wifi. I hope not.

nagromme
Mar 26, 2009, 03:24 PM
I think skype calls will only work on wifi. I hope not.

That's what Apple said way back: the carrier will not allow you to bypass their voice plan and get unlimited free minutes over their data network. BUT when you're on WiFi, you're free to use VOIP.

spaceballl
Mar 26, 2009, 03:32 PM
Very excited! I hope it supports skypeout and bluetooth headsets!
How would this be different from what for example Fring is doing right now?
Because Fring's implementation is utter trash.

dante@sisna.com
Mar 26, 2009, 03:34 PM

Boy do I second this.

Fring is a nice concept but it simply does not work reliably. Love Skype however.

arkitect
Mar 26, 2009, 03:34 PM
Because Fring's implementation is utter trash.

Read the comment I was replying to. :rolleyes:
I was asking happydude why he thought it would be against Apple's rules.

Not because I am implying Fring (and others) is irreplacable.
Reading comprehension, people.

Simples.

happydude
Mar 26, 2009, 03:53 PM
How would this be different from what others are doing right now? They are also "breaking" the terms of agreement and Apple isn't stopping them.

there's not a lot of others that are copying apple's native apps. they didn't allow podcatcher, for example. firefox app either. i'm sure there are some, but apple has made a big deal about a couple. all i'm saying is i'd be surprised if apple allows this through. as another poster pointed out, at&t would have the biggest interest in not allowing it.

navigates
Mar 26, 2009, 03:55 PM
Fring is a Joke. Voice Stutter is very bad

DHarrisDBS34
Mar 26, 2009, 04:01 PM
That's what Apple said way back: the carrier will not allow you to bypass their voice plan and get unlimited free minutes over their data network. BUT when you're on WiFi, you're free to use VOIP.

I'd love Skype on the iPhone/iPod Touch, even if it's just on Wifi (because that wouldn't effect me :))

I hope this is true.

Cherry Bomb
Mar 26, 2009, 06:17 PM
Oh how good would this be if true.

We can only hope that the carriers don't kick up a fuss and try to block it due to it potentially reducing their profits quite significantly.

JavaWizKid
Mar 26, 2009, 06:55 PM
Oh nice, better VOIP iPod Touch!

Cheap iPhone!

:D:D:D

Saladinos
Mar 26, 2009, 07:58 PM
This would be awesome. Fring's interface is horrible and the call quality sucks. It's not bad for a free app, but an official Skype app would be so much better.

Besides, skype could do things like video calling (not transmitting, but certainly receiving shouldn't be a problem).

Cleverboy
Mar 26, 2009, 08:51 PM
Besides, skype could do things like video calling (not transmitting, but certainly receiving shouldn't be a problem). Indeed. This, if nothing else, is something that I think would truly rewrite the rules of what someone should expect when seeing someone talk on their phone. I would like to see a user-selectable static image transmitted for people that can't transmit video (especially when their talking to someone who IS transmitting video). Such, that the iPhone user sees a video-stream and the Desktop computer user sees a static image chosen by that user (updateable at any time during the phone call).

Just seeing someone talking in a coffee-shop, ear buds in, with a video call... would be very cool. Doesn't seem like Skype mobile is "there" yet though. They're just putting "file transfer" and "sms" in place. For the iPhone, Skype would need to develop its own "repository" for downloaded files, and its own "Quick View" implementation to view documents sent to you. Then do a WebDav implementation to let people copy the files off easily through a Bonjour device name. Oy. Already sounds confusing. Apple needs a universal document repository. It's a GLARING problem more and more.

http://share.skype.com/sites/en/2009/03/skype_30_beta_for_windows_mobi.html

~ CB

SFStateStudent
Mar 26, 2009, 10:57 PM
I'm looking forward to SKYPE on the iPhone; that's all I have to say about this............:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

chstr
Mar 27, 2009, 12:22 AM

no because you're still paying at&t for 3G

macfan881
Mar 27, 2009, 01:08 AM
the second gen ipod touch is looking more convincing every day i think i may upgrade after the hollidays. especailly with full bluetooth coming from 3.0 and skype

soundsgoodtome
Mar 27, 2009, 01:27 AM

Try Truphone.

nmwando
Mar 27, 2009, 03:00 AM
I use skype all the time to call my girlfriend in austria from raleigh Nc.

and occasionally catch oprahs show. The amazing thing is just how good the quality is of video on her show. Its F#$cking amazing and clear.

Just not sure if ATT is going to cozy up that well to skpe that well... but well will see... all around i think ebay got a huge discount buying skype for 2 billion dollars. :)

I think skpe needs about 2 years to really, really really take off..

cheers Nic.

danb77
Mar 27, 2009, 03:05 AM
and occasionally catch oprahs show. The amazing thing is just how good the quality is of video on her show. Its F#$cking amazing and clear.

How do you watch TV via skype?

mattspeed3
Mar 27, 2009, 07:45 AM
With the current apps that are available is there any discernable quality (or other) difference between using Skype (with the help of fring or truphone etc) on an iPhone or an iPod Touch with a mic?

jmmo20
Mar 27, 2009, 08:32 AM
If this is true then the only thing left from Skype to offer me is a SkypeIN local number in SPAIN. Then it'd be PERFECT.

preservative
Mar 27, 2009, 11:06 AM
If this is true then it will surely be wifi only since the term and conditions state that munching on VOIP calls breaches a usage policy..!?

Benguitar
Mar 27, 2009, 11:10 AM
Nice! I really hope that is true, I would love to see a Skype app/icon on my iPhone.

Mintin8
Mar 27, 2009, 02:36 PM
Yeah seeing the skype icon would be awesome! Can't wait for this.

ethical
Mar 28, 2009, 07:10 AM
would definitely be very cool! and with 3.0 supporting Push it will only get better.

mbossert
Mar 30, 2009, 01:28 AM
Skype will be sweet. Like others, I have doubts about how the telco carriers will respond to this.

Oops; CNET is reporting tonight that it's official and they have screencaps! Excellent.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-12261_7-10206786-51.html

Apple is slowly revealing (and masterfully) that this "phone" is actually a computer; computers use skype.

Malcster
Mar 30, 2009, 06:27 AM
Whilst its great that its coming to iPhone and i have no doubts ill use it, the fact it wont be allowed to work in the background is surely going to impact greatly on its appeal.

I for one am certainly not interested in firing it up every x mins/hours or so to see if ive missed a call/message. Atleast with 3.0 and notifications it will tell you what you already know, that your missing most of your calls!

I am looking forward to it, it will be useful for the odd call here and there but not as a primary communications point due to iPhone restrictions. YMMV i guess depending on how you want to use it.

badoian
Mar 30, 2009, 07:29 AM
guessing that a program like this might just allow the 3G VOIP calls for use stuck with ATT in US.

http://www.iphonefaq.org/archives/97488

Poncho
Mar 30, 2009, 07:50 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7971673.stm

Next Tuesday

MistaBungle
Mar 30, 2009, 08:12 AM
Would be neat, especially with the jailbreak app that tricks the iPhone into thinking E/3G is WiFi. Is it safe to assume that this app will be free?

Nobylspoon
Mar 30, 2009, 08:13 AM
Hopefully bluetooth tethering will work on the touch with OS 3.0. I am using AT&T prepaid service that offers data plans. I was pretty impressed with the small amount of data used by Skype...

"Let's look at an example user (approximate usage only):

Tom has 20 Skype contacts and signs in twice a day for a total of 90 minutes. He instant messages for about 25 minutes each day and makes 20 minutes of Skype calls. Tom would use just under 1 MB of data in one month. "

1MB is only $5 prepaid, 100MB is $20. So about $5 a month for full phone service a month is a pretty good deal. I don't even make 20min worth of calls a day.

iPhoneNYC
Mar 30, 2009, 08:15 AM
In the meantime, I would check out TruPhone. It's also VOIP. I had great use of it in Europe back to US and also in Israel. Only really works wifi but offers huge saving over carrier calls. I understand it works with the touch as well if the iPhone headset mic is used. I'll check out Skype when it becomes available as one can pay as much as 3 bucks a minute when you're outside of US. Alot of bars have free wifi in Europe and this summer I would just walk down the street and when I found a good wifi signal I called back to the States (via TruPhone)...

appStore
Mar 30, 2009, 10:02 AM
is it already releashed because there is an app called skype fwd?

theGAPkid
Mar 30, 2009, 10:03 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7971673.stm

It's being released on Tuesday in the UK, not sure about elsewhere

:D

optophobia
Mar 30, 2009, 10:33 AM

no this is NOT the Skype app.

vista.john
Mar 30, 2009, 10:38 AM

nope, that's a crap application... you pay 0.99 and will get a crap!

skype application is free!

njl
Mar 30, 2009, 11:09 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/03/30/skype.iphone/index.html

TXCraig
Mar 30, 2009, 11:40 AM
Why has it taken soooooo long for this?

The two apps I would like to see on the iPhone are Skype and Slingbox.. both of these apps have been talked, and talked, and talked, about... and demoed at every trade show...

I don't undstrand what the big hold up is. If it's true, I will be happy to see it on Tuesday and I hope it is worth the wait!

lozion
Mar 30, 2009, 12:36 PM
No skype-in I believe but at least they offer skype-out. No support for voice-mail? Strange...
Still, looking forward to test it.

Demon
Mar 30, 2009, 12:46 PM
go to any iTunes in Asia and they already have Skype. I got mine through Japanese iTunes (it's already tuesday there)

Skype is... well... Skype. you'll see when you download it. worth every penny. yeah, it's free :D

Bye Bye Baby
Mar 30, 2009, 01:00 PM
Bring it on.

lozion
Mar 30, 2009, 01:01 PM
Cant log-in to the Jap store. Any tips?
txs,

Bye Bye Baby
Mar 30, 2009, 01:12 PM
Now using skype.

Very good start. Will say more later.

lozion
Mar 30, 2009, 01:16 PM
Now using skype.

Very good start. Will say more later.

how is call quality?

vista.john
Mar 30, 2009, 03:33 PM
how is call quality?

Just got it from Japan app store. call quality is pretty good. Way better than fring. Sign in immediate! Also, it seems that fring doesn't work with the secured wi-fi at my workplace. Now skype does work, though it has already crashed five times now. Maybe just me. Will wait and see if others have similar problem.

LiveCrunch
Mar 30, 2009, 03:52 PM
Would be awesome to get the app before it's released tomorrow....

pixline
Mar 30, 2009, 04:59 PM
Also the italian newspaper La Repubblica says tomorrow. And have a screenshot.

article (in italian): http://canali.kataweb.it/kataweb-itech/2009/03/30/skype-su-iphone/
screenshots: http://skypejournal.com/2009/03/skype-for-iphone-screenshots.html
app on NZ store: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=304878510&mt=8

http://canali.kataweb.it/UserFiles/kataweb-itech/Image/skypho.jpg

dante@sisna.com
Mar 30, 2009, 05:28 PM
Has anyone ever tried Skype over one of common (ie Netgear, Belkin, etc) WiFi phones that are marketing as compatible with the Skype service?

We are looking to cancel our landline but want the convenience of a wireless phone. Cell service is poor at our office so we need some lines out besides cellular.

Any comments based in actual experience welcomed please!!

Chundles
Mar 30, 2009, 05:33 PM
Live in Australia, just downloaded but haven't tested it out - none of my 3 Skype buddies are online.

Totalshock
Mar 30, 2009, 06:10 PM
Anyone able to test it out and yet, and report whether or not Skype calls work over Bluetooth?

Thanks!

NightFox
Mar 30, 2009, 06:23 PM
Just downloaded it from App Store UK:

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=304878510&mt=8

pixline
Mar 30, 2009, 06:37 PM
Anyone able to test it out and yet, and report whether or not Skype calls work over Bluetooth?

actually iPhone 3g support quite nothing via bluetooth, I would be really surprised of this.

got the app from italian store, and it's really nice, works well, test call on wifi have really good audio, and chat on 3g is quite instant, a bit more laggy but still working on edge.

vincebio
Mar 30, 2009, 06:40 PM
Just got it from Japan app store. call quality is pretty good. Way better than fring. Sign in immediate! Also, it seems that fring doesn't work with the secured wi-fi at my workplace. Now skype does work, though it has already crashed five times now. Maybe just me. Will wait and see if others have similar problem.

yep, mines isnt even booting up, tried installing it twice, keeps crashing...

turned my phone off twice and no joy....

bronksy
Mar 30, 2009, 07:44 PM
Downloaded it from the UK app store about an hour ago and all is wellnntest call completed. Bit broken up for about 1 second then ok.
Just slingplayer now and I'll be a happy bunny.

vista.john
Mar 30, 2009, 09:12 PM
yep, mines isnt even booting up, tried installing it twice, keeps crashing...

turned my phone off twice and no joy....

Mine still crashing... wait till I can download from US app store, see if that makes difference... :mad:

vista.john
Mar 30, 2009, 09:47 PM

Thanks!

Don't think it works with bluetooth. :(

duffer
Mar 31, 2009, 12:15 AM
Mine still crashing... wait till I can download from US app store, see if that makes difference... :mad:

Clippy was causing the app to crash for me. Uninstalled Clippy and Skype worked without fail (at least for the test call....no contacts online).

credit to user bed for the suggestion.

vista.john
Mar 31, 2009, 06:10 AM
Here is the link for how to fix the crashing problem...

http://thebigboss.org/2009/03/30/new-skype-app-having-problems-on-jailbroken-phones/

works great for me!!!

iPhoneVic
Mar 31, 2009, 08:36 AM
There are a couple of updates via cydia that that seems to have fixed the login problem..

michael.lauden
Mar 31, 2009, 08:48 AM
yyyeah clippy used to cause a looot of apps to crash for me

Saladinos
Mar 31, 2009, 09:18 AM
Pfft, those guys are so wrong. There's never going to be an iPhone Skype app! I work at Skype and I know.

SFStateStudent
Mar 31, 2009, 09:32 AM
I guess the 50th time is a charm? lol Gawd, I went to sleep w/o Skype on my 3G JB iPhone and woke up to sweet sound of making a Skype call..... :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

pbateman
Mar 31, 2009, 09:57 AM
Anyone tried the chat? I just had one fo my contacts message me while i had left the app open (but the phone had already locked). I'm guessing chat only works while the app is open, but its neat regardless.
Haven't tried the calls yet since my work has no wifi... have to wait till i'm home.

diemos
Mar 31, 2009, 12:12 PM
Its out. Can't wait to try it out at home.

TQ305
Mar 31, 2009, 05:34 PM
sounds great, gonna check it out soon

JavaWizKid
Mar 31, 2009, 05:38 PM
It's awful. It crashes every minute for me!

DopeyFish
Mar 31, 2009, 07:17 PM
is it possible that phones with tethering enabled (in 3.0) will allow anything goes type of policy over the cell network?