Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TXCraig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Why has it taken soooooo long for this?

The two apps I would like to see on the iPhone are Skype and Slingbox.. both of these apps have been talked, and talked, and talked, about... and demoed at every trade show...

I don't undstrand what the big hold up is. If it's true, I will be happy to see it on Tuesday and I hope it is worth the wait!

Demon

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2004
on earth
already using skype on the iPhone...

go to any iTunes in Asia and they already have Skype. I got mine through Japanese iTunes (it's already tuesday there)

Skype is... well... Skype. you'll see when you download it. worth every penny. yeah, it's free :D

vista.john

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2008
how is call quality?

Just got it from Japan app store. call quality is pretty good. Way better than fring. Sign in immediate! Also, it seems that fring doesn't work with the secured wi-fi at my workplace. Now skype does work, though it has already crashed five times now. Maybe just me. Will wait and see if others have similar problem.

pixline

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2009
Also the italian newspaper La Repubblica says tomorrow. And have a screenshot.

article (in italian): http://canali.kataweb.it/kataweb-itech/2009/03/30/skype-su-iphone/
screenshots: http://skypejournal.com/2009/03/skype-for-iphone-screenshots.html
app on NZ store: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=304878510&mt=8

skypho.jpg

dante@sisna.com

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
Skype over WiFi Phone

Has anyone ever tried Skype over one of common (ie Netgear, Belkin, etc) WiFi phones that are marketing as compatible with the Skype service?

We are looking to cancel our landline but want the convenience of a wireless phone. Cell service is poor at our office so we need some lines out besides cellular.

Any comments based in actual experience welcomed please!!

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Live in Australia, just downloaded but haven't tested it out - none of my 3 Skype buddies are online.

pixline

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2009
Anyone able to test it out and yet, and report whether or not Skype calls work over Bluetooth?

actually iPhone 3g support quite nothing via bluetooth, I would be really surprised of this.

got the app from italian store, and it's really nice, works well, test call on wifi have really good audio, and chat on 3g is quite instant, a bit more laggy but still working on edge.

vincebio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
Glasgow
Just got it from Japan app store. call quality is pretty good. Way better than fring. Sign in immediate! Also, it seems that fring doesn't work with the secured wi-fi at my workplace. Now skype does work, though it has already crashed five times now. Maybe just me. Will wait and see if others have similar problem.

yep, mines isnt even booting up, tried installing it twice, keeps crashing...

turned my phone off twice and no joy....

bronksy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2006
London
All good here.

Downloaded it from the UK app store about an hour ago and all is wellnntest call completed. Bit broken up for about 1 second then ok.
Just slingplayer now and I'll be a happy bunny.

duffer

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2007
Mine still crashing... wait till I can download from US app store, see if that makes difference... :mad:

Clippy was causing the app to crash for me. Uninstalled Clippy and Skype worked without fail (at least for the test call....no contacts online).

credit to user bed for the suggestion.

iPhoneVic

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2008
Fix

There are a couple of updates via cydia that that seems to have fixed the login problem..

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Pfft, those guys are so wrong. There's never going to be an iPhone Skype app! I work at Skype and I know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.