PDA

View Full Version : Typical cover up "M$ Posts Critical Patches"

Sparky's
Apr 13, 2004, 08:22 PM
Microsoft has released a flood of information on new and previously disclosed holes in a wide range of software products, many of them rated "critical" and, according to a security expert, well-suited to use by malicious hackers or virus writers.

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,115664,00.asp

And they expect to get longhorn out??? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Jovian9
Apr 14, 2004, 09:14 AM
Maybe m$ should start making headlines when there is NOT a security flaw in their software.

Dippo
Apr 14, 2004, 10:30 AM
Great, well I guess I better update my computers AGAIN!!

Jovian9
Apr 14, 2004, 11:40 AM
....or maybe making headlines due to security flaws is the m$ way of staying in the headlines while they are doing nothing relevant other than announcing delays of longhorn........

wdlove
Apr 14, 2004, 11:42 AM
It never ceases to amaze me, that such a large corporation would have these issues. They have decades to perfect the program. :confused:

flyfish29
Apr 14, 2004, 11:51 AM
It never ceases to amaze me, that such a large corporation would have these issues. They have decades to perfect the program. :confused:

Bear with me, but I really wonder if this is M$'s way of creating a sort of security fear with windows so when Longhorn does come out everyone will be so scared about the safety of windows they will all upgrade. M$ knows there are relatively few people who will leave based on the number of security updates...who knows...this very well could be their marketing ploy...and effective from their standpoint I would think.

yamabushi
Apr 14, 2004, 01:31 PM
Windows Super XL 2027 - It sucks less than Windows Advanced PS 2025. Buy it now or you'll have to worry about crashes and malicious code. We got it right this time. No, really. Honest. Would we lie? :rolleyes:

Dippo
Apr 14, 2004, 02:06 PM
Bear with me, but I really wonder if this is M$'s way of creating a sort of security fear with windows so when Longhorn does come out everyone will be so scared about the safety of windows they will all upgrade. M$ knows there are relatively few people who will leave based on the number of security updates...who knows...this very well could be their marketing ploy...and effective from their standpoint I would think.

Yea, there are A LOT of people, businesses, and instituions that still use Win95 and Win98. When Blaster came around, they didn't have to worry about it because it didn't affect their systems, only Win2K and above.

Remember how Win Server 2003 was supposed to be this new great super secure OS? Well it still has all the same problems as Win2K and XP, and I can assure you that Longhorn won't fix it!

Jookbox
Apr 14, 2004, 05:52 PM
grow up children.

ms said last year that they were ramping up their efforts on security, so of course you're going to see a bunch of patches. if macos was on as many desktops as windows, you would be seeing the same sorts of exploits.

jxyama
Apr 14, 2004, 06:19 PM
grow up children.

ms said last year that they were ramping up their efforts on security, so of course you're going to see a bunch of patches. if macos was on as many desktops as windows, you would be seeing the same sorts of exploits.

a common fallacy...

the common counterpoint is how apache is more popular than iis but sees significantly less exploits.

the number of inherent holes does not depend on the popularity of the product. actual exploits do, to a degree, but i don't think it's to the level how M$ is always exploited. i really think windows have more inherent holes and design flaws than OS X or linux.

besides, M$ wanted the dominance. they got it, so if exploits are one of the consequences (i don't think so, as i said above, but...) then deal. saying "OS X wouldn't be much better" does nothing to refute the fact windows is full of holes that are exploited.

Macmaniac
Apr 14, 2004, 06:27 PM
CNN had it all over their tech page, I really wonder how this is effecting M$ accountability and if people are looking towards an alternative because of this news. M$ seems to be shooting itself in the foot, now if this translated into Apple adoption this would be great!