PDA

View Full Version : NEED AIRPORT HELP! (please?)

switchedanhappy
Apr 14, 2004, 02:34 PM
I am setting up my airport extreme and have run into some major snags, I want to wire the airport to my G5 with the LAN port and wire my motorola surfborad cable modem to my airport through the WAN port and I want my mom's ibook G3 12" 800 mhz with a regular airport card to be able to log onto the signal and get internet. right now i have the new ibook wired because after I unplugged the G5 from the surfboard and back in again, it won't get internet. this has happened once before and i had to wait three days while playing with settings to get it online again. i used the airport setup assistant on the ibook while the modem was plugged into the base station, and after it was finished, it said it was connected to the internet via ethernet, but it wouldn't go onto the web. so now i have my moms ibook wired to the modem, an inactive base station, and an access-less powermac G5 dual 2 ghz. what a mess. any ideas? :confused:

Darwin
Apr 14, 2004, 03:34 PM
I am setting up my airport extreme and have run into some major snags, I want to wire the airport to my G5 with the LAN port and wire my motorola surfborad cable modem to my airport through the WAN port and I want my mom's ibook G3 12" 800 mhz with a regular airport card to be able to log onto the signal and get internet. right now i have the new ibook wired because after I unplugged the G5 from the surfboard and back in again, it won't get internet. this has happened once before and i had to wait three days while playing with settings to get it online again. i used the airport setup assistant on the ibook while the modem was plugged into the base station, and after it was finished, it said it was connected to the internet via ethernet, but it wouldn't go onto the web. so now i have my moms ibook wired to the modem, an inactive base station, and an access-less powermac G5 dual 2 ghz. what a mess. any ideas?

Ok so the Airport Base Station has the WAN and LAN ports

Modem is in WAN

The G5 is in LAN

And you say the iBook is on Wireless

The setup assistant should be able to help you here, since you have the setting already put on the iBook using the assistant you can transfer the settings to the Base Station

switchedanhappy
Apr 14, 2004, 04:24 PM
problem is, I have already done all that. it didn't work. that's why
I posted.

KershMan
Apr 14, 2004, 04:40 PM
Did you reset the cable modem and base station in between your different connections? The cable modem will register the MAC (hardware) address of the computer and/or base station you plug into the WAN port. So, to switch what is plugged into what you should:

1. Power off the cable modem and base station
2. Connect base station's WAN port to cable modem
3. Turn modem on and what until you have a solid link light
4. Turn on base station
5. Now, wire the G5 into the LAN port of the base station and start the Airport Wizard

After that you should be good.

switchedanhappy
Apr 14, 2004, 07:45 PM
I'll try and reply! (my rhymes are like a crime)

switchedanhappy
Apr 14, 2004, 07:50 PM
you guys are THE GREATEST! thank you thank you sooooooo much!this is truly the best forum I've ever used! Thank you kershman! thank you Darwin! you're both macrumors gods to me!

KershMan
Apr 14, 2004, 08:27 PM
I'm happy it worked. That is one thing about cable modems you find in the tech support area. Sometimes it is in the user docs, but not always. It just needs to clear its connection table which a power reset does.

ingenious
Apr 14, 2004, 09:43 PM
this is lookin like an IP address problem. prolly whats the matter with the G5 is that its IP has not been changed to DHCP after you unplugged it from the modem and into the Airport. Be sure to write down ALL settings in case you need to redo something. So this is how it should be:

Modem to base station (ethernet, WAN port- airport should probably have G5's old IP)
iBook(s) to base station (wireless, DHCP)
G5 to base station(wired, DHCP, LAN port)

that should take care of everything. Ive found the the set up assistant doesnt help in "specialty" situations like this.... LOL
:rolleyes:

edit: whoops didnt notice that the problem had been resolved..... :D /subject