PDA

View Full Version : iMac G5 VS iMac Intel

Macintosh»Lover
Mar 29, 2009, 10:34 PM
wich would would you by? I am going giveing my sister my eMac but i can not decide wich one to get i need it for ilife 09 CS2. I am thinking G5 caus if i get it i will have money to max it out/upgrade it.
Thanks so much.

flopticalcube
Mar 29, 2009, 10:36 PM
I wouldn't invest money in a PPC. It probably won't even run Snow Leopard. Even the lowest current iMac is WAY faster than a G5. You could also get the last model refurb for much less.

smurfjammer
Mar 29, 2009, 10:37 PM
Get the intel iMac...

Sun Baked
Mar 29, 2009, 10:39 PM
Mac Mini if you have a spare LCD or CRT monitor laying around, too bad the $425 refurbs are gone -- though keep checking Apple and resales for deals on those.

Scottyk9
Mar 29, 2009, 10:41 PM
another vote for intel

i had a g5 imac, and found it very slow, often maxing out the cpu. Having a dualcore processor (intel) makes a considerable difference.

Omni Geno
Mar 30, 2009, 12:09 AM
An "upgraded" G5 will not be half as good as a current (or last generation) Intel iMac. By the time you spend the time and effort and pain of upgrading an iMac G5 it still would not be as powerful as a new Intel one and will most definitely not last as long. An Intel iMac will blow the doors off the G5 in CS2 and iLife performance, and as flopticalcube pointed out, the G5 will probably not run Snow Leopard. In general, the G5 is not futureproof whatsoever.

Macintosh»Lover
Mar 30, 2009, 01:52 AM
i am now leaning towards a 2.16Ghz 24 Inch intel imac white.

jnc
Mar 30, 2009, 07:26 AM
Try to get a white Core 2 Duo - best iMac Apple has ever made. :)

flopticalcube
Mar 30, 2009, 09:23 AM
i am now leaning towards a 2.16Ghz 24 Inch intel imac white.

Good choice. Much easier to upgrade than the Alu iMac and you can get matte screens.
The performance difference isn't great between the white and the alu except in graphics.

Try to get a white Core 2 Duo - best iMac Apple has ever made. :)

+1. The Core 2 Duos can take up to 4GB (3 visible to the OS) and are up to 25% faster at the same clock speed.