PDA

View Full Version : DIRECTV iPhone Application Now Available

MacRumors
Mar 30, 2009, 01:24 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/03/30/directv-iphone-application-now-available/)

DIRECTV's iPhone application (http://www.directv.com:80/DTVAPP/global/article.jsp?assetId=P5590048) [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=307386350&mt=8), Free] is now available in the App Store. The application allows DIRECTV subscribers to program their DVRs while on the go via Wi-Fi, 3G or EDGE.

- Search for any television show up to 14 days in advance
- Browse programs by channel or date & time
- Get program information instantly, including description, length and rating
- Record a single episode or an entire series
- Program Pay Per View movies to be recorded and ready to watch anytime
- Record to any DIRECTV DVR in your home

DIRECTV also notes that one of the following DVR models is required for remote recording functionality: DIRECTV PLUS DVR (models R15, R16, R22), DIRECTV PLUS HD DVR (models HR20, HR21, HR23) or TiVo Series 2 receivers with 6.4a software.

Article Link: DIRECTV iPhone Application Now Available (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/03/30/directv-iphone-application-now-available/)

azdude
Mar 30, 2009, 01:42 PM
I'm on Dish Network and loving the SlingGuide beta (http://dish.sling.com/) which offers nearly identical functionality in a web app (desktop and mobile versions).

However, having it in a native app would indeed be great.

EDIT: Wicked! They're working on it -- http://dish.sling.com/faq.php

Lara F
Mar 30, 2009, 01:58 PM
I have an old (single tuner) Series 2 Tivo - is there any chance this would actually work on that without a DirecTV subscription? I can't believe it would but might as well ask.

Nice stuff in any case! Now hurry up Apple and approve Sling. :)

hypermark
Mar 30, 2009, 02:04 PM
I have downloaded this app and it's simple, and makes a great feature by DirecTV even better (see my post - DirecTV’s DVR Scheduler Rocks! (http://thenetworkgarden.com/weblog/2008/10/directtvs-dvr-s.html)).

Definitely an AHA moment for DVR users.

Cheers,

Mark

scirica
Mar 30, 2009, 02:09 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I've been using (playing with) this all morning. One of the best executed native apps to date. I saw the tease on a commercial a few weeks back and was praying it was a real app.

Prayers answered!

ilfn143
Mar 30, 2009, 02:10 PM
it required 2.2.1, i have 2.2 and it won't let me download. i hate to re-jailbreak just to install this app

pdjudd
Mar 30, 2009, 02:41 PM
it required 2.2.1, i have 2.2 and it won't let me download. i hate to re-jailbreak just to install this app
So download 2.2.1. Whats stopping you?

ilfn143
Mar 30, 2009, 02:43 PM
So download 2.2.1. Whats stopping you?

jailbreak/unlock

moonzilla
Mar 30, 2009, 02:56 PM
jailbreak/unlock

i would just keep using m.directv.com

2.2.1 doesnt offer enough improved functionality to warrant a clean install and re-jailbreak/re-unlock. i dont believe the native app gives you that much more than the web app anyways. id hold out till iphone software 3.0

ironfrost
Mar 30, 2009, 03:00 PM
Is this only available in the USA? I'm from Australia and i couldn't see this app in the iTunes store?

kupua
Mar 30, 2009, 03:01 PM
If this is NEW... and release as of today.... why does it not show up in the New and Noteworthy section of iTunes?:confused:

pitt1717
Mar 30, 2009, 03:12 PM
lol, man i started a thread back in september for this app and got bashed a bit. glad to see it came out and can't wait to see how popular it gets

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=556691

Drumjim85
Mar 30, 2009, 03:14 PM
If this is NEW... and release as of today.... why does it not show up in the New and Noteworthy section of iTunes?:confused:

maybe cause apple doesn't think it's "noteworthy"?

kupua
Mar 30, 2009, 03:45 PM
maybe cause apple doesn't think it's "noteworthy"?

That's what really sucks about these forums, you ask for help, but all you get these days are stupid sarcasm.

Your opinion is one thing, but being constructive or positive I guess is not in your world.

ilfn143
Mar 30, 2009, 03:47 PM
from DirecTV:
Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately Apple requires us to only work on the current version of software that is available when the application is first available in the iTunes store.

We cannot make the app compatible with software previous to 2.2.1 due to Apple’s standards.

Zoboomafoo
Mar 30, 2009, 03:57 PM

Just goes to show, jailbreaking has its price.

PoitNarf
Is this only available in the USA? I'm from Australia and i couldn't see this app in the iTunes store?

I'm pretty sure that this is only available in the US, since that the only people that are able to get DirecTV service live in the US.

Drumjim85
That's what really sucks about these forums, you ask for help, but all you get these days are stupid sarcasm.

Your opinion is one thing, but being constructive or positive I guess is not in your world.

you mean sarcasm like this (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=6373640#post6373640)?

you asked a question, and i answered... how is that sarcastic?

drew0020
Mar 30, 2009, 04:01 PM
I still get a cannot connect to server error on Edge, 3G, and Wifi. The application connects, but this notice always pops up. Any ideas?

samwells
Mar 30, 2009, 04:02 PM

The same reason a car dealership doesn't feature every single new model in their commercials... all about these $$$.

pdjudd
Mar 30, 2009, 04:09 PM
jailbreak/unlock
Ahh.. Well thats your own fault I suppose.

Cyclone Chris
Mar 30, 2009, 04:18 PM
If only the Cable Companies (ie. Cox) would follow through.

hendot
Mar 30, 2009, 05:13 PM

Try ICEtv in Australia. It has had the same functionality as this app for months.

vvebsta
Mar 30, 2009, 05:33 PM
yay! this is very cool :)

FreeState
Mar 30, 2009, 05:39 PM
I have an old (single tuner) Series 2 Tivo - is there any chance this would actually work on that without a DirecTV subscription?

No it wont work. THe app signs you into your Directv account - and does all the services offered on Directv's website (it sends a signal via the satellite to your DTV box).

wrxsilverbullet
Mar 30, 2009, 06:07 PM
Good to see that DirectTV is more on the ball than ATT. Where is my U-verse app that interfaces everything together?

Lara F
Mar 30, 2009, 06:14 PM
No it wont work. THe app signs you into your Directv account - and does all the services offered on Directv's website (it sends a signal via the satellite to your DTV box).

As I expected. Well, hope Time Warner gets on the ball and offers something similar - lots of people live in apartment buildings that don't allow dishes as an option to digital cable. :(

caliguy
Mar 30, 2009, 07:41 PM
Nice, I like this app a lot. I actually searched for it last night hoping to record Jim Gaffigan.

bobbleheadbob
Mar 30, 2009, 07:44 PM
Nice! Glad to be able to program my DVR remotely now. :D

mikeinternet
Mar 30, 2009, 07:54 PM
Good to see that DirectTV is more on the ball than ATT. Where is my U-verse app that interfaces everything together?

My girlfriend was told about the u-verse app as a selling point to get her to switch from comcast, which she did. in fact they made it sound to her that it was already out.
lame.

Airforcekid
Mar 30, 2009, 08:05 PM
Dish network better make one too!

Airforcekid
Mar 30, 2009, 08:08 PM

Theres any app in cydia that changes the firmware for a paticular app I cant remember the name but its in either system or utilities?

SFStateStudent
Mar 30, 2009, 09:05 PM
I'm glad I canceled my Directv, b/c it just doubled in price once I switched to HD and the satellite dish that resembles those 15' across dishes that make day look like night are all of a sudden back from the dead. App looks pretty nice, but I don't know anyone that has Directv anymore. Maybe this app can save Directv...:eek::eek::eek::eek:

jsimpson
Mar 30, 2009, 09:10 PM
Is there a trick to get it to work correctly? It won't allow me to log in and it took several tries to just in use Guest access. (it even crashed twice while browsing channels) If I am missing something please let me know what it is. Thanks!

jsimpson
Mar 30, 2009, 09:14 PM
I emailed Directv about the sign issue and got a response within 20 mins or so.....

Thank you for your email.

We have been experiencing a very large number of simultaneous sign in
requests due to the overwhelming exposure we are seeing from the news
sites.

This seems to happen for short durations, if you cannot log in wait 5 or
10 minutes and then try again.

jmccullough108
Mar 30, 2009, 09:25 PM
Not a bad app.

jasko
Mar 30, 2009, 09:52 PM
It keeps saying that my username and/or pw is invalid. wtf. :mad:

edit: and it keeps crashing on guest. grr

caliguy
Mar 31, 2009, 01:16 AM
The email support does seem to be very helpful. I wrote suggesting there be an option added to turn off SD duplicates, to which they promptly replied it was at the top of their list for future updates.

motoracer1486
Mar 31, 2009, 12:12 PM
Great program. Tried scheduling a show, and boom, it was there recording. Good job Directv!

BrunoMac
Mar 31, 2009, 12:50 PM
Directv rocks!! It aint cheap but for the last two years I've had it and the product has been great!
Thank you for this app. It's one I was waiting for and am so happy it's here!

ilfn143
Apr 1, 2009, 10:35 AM
Theres any app in cydia that changes the firmware for a paticular app I cant remember the name but its in either system or utilities?

found it, it's FWChanger

Rootman
Apr 1, 2009, 01:22 PM
Does this mean I don't need a dish or TV anymore?

ironfrost
Apr 1, 2009, 04:01 PM
Try ICEtv in Australia. It has had the same functionality as this app for months.

Excellent.. i will try that out...

RussOniPhone
Apr 1, 2009, 05:24 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Keep getting having technical problems. I 99% sure I have the correct DVR and a phone line hooked to it?

jhsfosho
Apr 2, 2009, 10:21 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/7A259g Safari/525.20)

This makes me want an eyeTV app even more so I can watch tv and schedule recordings on the go.

truz
Apr 19, 2009, 03:08 PM
How do you select your DVR? As I have 3 DVR's in the house (living room, master bedroom, guestroom) then I have 2 standard boxes in the kids rooms.

StuddedLeather
Apr 20, 2009, 05:21 PM
How do you select your DVR? As I have 3 DVR's in the house (living room, master bedroom, guestroom) then I have 2 standard boxes in the kids rooms.

Just select which DVR Receiver you want it to record on, I don't believe you can select multiple but maybe you could.

ZDDP1273
May 18, 2009, 11:20 PM
I downloaded this app in preparation for the switch to DirecTV that I'm making this summer. I'm looking forward to trying it out and seeing how well it works.

scirica
May 21, 2009, 12:23 AM
I'm glad I canceled my Directv, b/c it just doubled in price once I switched to HD and the satellite dish that resembles those 15' across dishes that make day look like night are all of a sudden back from the dead. App looks pretty nice, but I don't know anyone that has Directv anymore. Maybe this app can save Directv...:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Seriously? I must be the only one that has DirecTV!

ozziegn
May 27, 2009, 11:57 PM
this is one of my favorite iPhone apps. I use it all the time to set my DVR recordings from work.