PDA

View Full Version : What are these slots in my PowerMac G5?

simplymuzik3
Apr 2, 2009, 07:33 AM
okay, please help me! I dont know what kind of slots these are. I dont think they're pci, becasue i tried putting in a PCI USB 2.0 card, and it wouldnt fit. The same USB card fits in my powermac g4. I dont know much about pci-x so im not sure if its that. btw, my powermac g5 is the june 2004 1.8ghz, 4 RAM slots. Can someone please help me figure out which kinds of slots these are! thanks :D

EDIT: If the slots are PCI-X is it backwards compatible with any other type of pci cards?

Nautigar
Apr 2, 2009, 08:05 AM
These are (parallel) PCI-X slots, and they are not compatible with the new PCI Express slots (serial, aka PCIe) that Apple has been using since the PowerMac G5 Quad. Old parallel PCI cards however should work with these slots.

Hope this helps.

kornyboy
Apr 2, 2009, 08:14 AM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

The June 2004 1.8 is suppose to have standard PCI slots. The 2.0 and 2.5 had PCI-X slots. If you do have X slots, it should work. They are suppose to be "fully backwards compatible."

simplymuzik3
Apr 2, 2009, 08:39 AM
Im 100% sure that i have june 2004, and I also thought they were supposed to have PCI slots. But you are saying that I can only use pci-x and parallel PCI cards? right? so no standard pci cards will work?(unless they are parallel PCI?) Sorry for all the questions, I just didnt know where else to get good information like this site :D

xraydoc
Apr 2, 2009, 09:06 PM
Im 100% sure that i have june 2004, and I also thought they were supposed to have PCI slots. But you are saying that I can only use pci-x and parallel PCI cards? right? so no standard pci cards will work?(unless they are parallel PCI?) Sorry for all the questions, I just didnt know where else to get good information like this site :D

While there are some compatibility issues with much older PCI cards, virtually any PCI card that works in a G4 works in the PCI-X slots of a G5.

PCI-X slots are backwards compatible with regular PCI cards.

If your card didn't fit, you weren't putting it in correctly.

I've got a FireWire 800 PCI card and USB 2.0 PCI card that I've moved between a Gigabit Ethernet G4 and a 2.5GHz PCI-X G5 without any problems.

Designer Dale
Apr 2, 2009, 09:24 PM
Try this link and see if it is your machine. EveryMac has great tech details on, well, every Mac.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g5/stats/powermac_g5_1.8_dp_2.html

simplymuzik3
Apr 3, 2009, 05:31 AM
I tried puttin in an old USB 2.0 card, but its too short to reach the slot, so it keeps hitting the logic board. If I buy a new one, I think I should be fine. Thanks for all the help!