Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
Since I'm about to buy a car stereo that can directly control an iPod, I've read that many of these car stereos cannot control the 4G iPod nano.

Does anyone here know how to find a list of car stereo head units that are 4G iPod nano compatible? :confused: Or offer an adapter cable so the head unit will work with the 4G iPod nano?

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
An update: I may just forget the idea of getting a head unit that can directly control the 4G iPod nano.

I may just get myself a lower cost car stereo head unit that has the 3.5 mm stereo phone jack auxiliary input and get myself a Griffin Technology AutoPilot adapter instead. Since AutoPilot is certified by Griffin to work with the 4G iPod nano or the 120 GB iPod classic, at least I can get line-level audio output from the iPod to the car stereo, which should have reasonable sound quality. :)

KJChevy3

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2008
Since I'm about to buy a car stereo that can directly control an iPod, I've read that many of these car stereos cannot control the 4G iPod nano.

Does anyone here know how to find a list of car stereo head units that are 4G iPod nano compatible? :confused: Or offer an adapter cable so the head unit will work with the 4G iPod nano?

I have a Kenwood, Excelon series (don't remember the exact number) and it controls my 4G Nano fine.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I just ordered a Sony CDX-GT730UI to be installed in my car. I found out that this car stereo head unit works with the 4G nano, provided I use the USB 2.0 cable provided by Apple with the player. :)

The only bummer: every car stereo store in my area is so busy I won't get it installed until this weekend. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.