PDA

View Full Version : Something for Powerbook Owners!

Unclej78
Apr 19, 2004, 02:06 AM
I didn't want to spend $40 bucks for a laptop holder for my desk. I picked this up at Walmart for $9. Works great, brings the screen up to a more usable position. It now gets better airport reception. I was getting one-two bars and would fade out and I would have to move the powerbook back to get the signal again. I can feel the heat being dissipated, It can breath easier now.

billwest9999
Apr 19, 2004, 02:23 AM
My solution costs 50 cents. I put 2 erasers on the bottom of the pb (top left and right hand corner). If you want more stability, buy a few more erasers and line them up at the top.

titaniumducky
Apr 21, 2004, 08:02 PM
I didn't want to spend $40 bucks for a laptop holder for my desk. I picked this up at Walmart for $9. Works great, brings the screen up to a more usable position. It now gets better airport reception. I was getting one-two bars and would fade out and I would have to move the powerbook back to get the signal again. I can feel the heat being dissipated, It can breath easier now.

Sweet!

thecow
Apr 21, 2004, 08:19 PM
Just use an old book. It's cheaper.

baby duck monge
Apr 21, 2004, 09:27 PM
Just use an old book. It's cheaper.

that's actually what i'm doing. i have a copy of ovid's metamorphoses propping up my ibook (more for angle than heat, though. hacked for spanning, and the other monitor takes up most of my desk. hard to keep things arranged properly).

good solution you found there, though. it's all about the innovation.

mikeyredk
Apr 21, 2004, 10:13 PM
mine is even cheaper then all of you i am using those red cups the 16 oz. party cups

first i used 4 but 3 is good enough 2 up front on the sides one in the back central keeps it nice and kool plus i have a fan on it 24/7 now since its summer and its freak-en hot without A/C

tdhurst
Apr 21, 2004, 10:22 PM
My solution is better, cheaper...blahblahblah. Great idea with the walmart phone holder. It's still better, more stable and slightly more elegant than an old book, erasers or 16 oz cups....
Thanks for sharing!

Unclej78
Apr 21, 2004, 10:30 PM
Thanks, been using it for about a week now. Major improvement. I don't think I would trust me investment with erasers and party cups.

Counterfit
Apr 21, 2004, 11:23 PM
I wouldn't trust my $2400 PowerBook to a $9 POS from Wal-Mart either.

PlaceofDis
Apr 22, 2004, 12:11 AM
thats a great idea, i almost regret getting the podium stand for $40, but i cant say that i do because it has the swivel function which is very useful for me, but thanks for sharing!! its a kick ass solution

Counterfit
Apr 22, 2004, 12:19 AM
thats a great idea, i almost regret getting the podium stand for $40, but i cant say that i do because it has the swivel function which is very useful for me, but thanks for sharing!! its a kick ass solution I have that stand, and the swivel is nifty, but it's a much better cooling solution for me, rather than the alternative, which would be flat on a desk.

0s and 1s
Apr 22, 2004, 01:28 AM
My solution was the cheapest. I went to the store, picked up the stand, and walked right ouf of the store. Beat that!!!

j/k

iKwak
Apr 24, 2004, 04:53 PM
Been using books and folders also.

stoid
Apr 24, 2004, 05:19 PM
That Wal-Mart stand doesn't look too easy on the wrists. :eek:

I'm going to get an iBreeze from www.macmice.com this summer.

aswitcher
Apr 24, 2004, 05:37 PM

I'm going to get an iBreeze from www.macmice.com this summer.

Its kinds cool ( ;) ) but I thought that this one was pretty fine as well and portable.

Tornado Chill Pad from Targus

http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.asp?sku=PA248U

Unclej78
Apr 24, 2004, 11:48 PM

Dual monitors and sep. keyboard., lol

stoid
Apr 24, 2004, 11:58 PM
Its kinds cool ( ;) ) but I thought that this one was pretty fine as well and portable.

Tornado Chill Pad from Targus

http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.asp?sku=PA248U

Well, the iBreeze has the pass through USB port so you aren't burning off a USB port, but if you don't need that port, this one does seem more portable.

I love the description:
has non-skid rubber domes to prevent any slippage of the notebook

"slippage of the notebook"

Great stuff! :D

Grokgod
Apr 25, 2004, 02:04 AM
Old book used here.

I prefer Huxley or on those good days the KAMA SUTRA. :P

phampton81
Apr 25, 2004, 11:54 AM
I can't seem to find it on their website, is that where you got it? I am thinking this would work nicely for me. Thanks

jackc
Apr 26, 2004, 08:56 AM
I'm thinking of getting an iLap (http://raindesigninc.com/ilap.html). A bit expensive, but you can use it as a desktop holder and a lap holder. Might be worth it.

Crikey
Apr 26, 2004, 10:40 AM
I like the Wal*Mart phone holder idea; it does have sort of an elegant look to it.

My concern: it appears to be metal. Posters here have talked about the finish of the PowerBook as being a touch fragile (I don't have one myself, yet). Could one use the phone holder without worry of PowerBook finish scratches?

I guess one could put some stick-on rubber feet on the phone holder easily enough if this were an issue.

Crikey

Unclej78
Apr 26, 2004, 03:40 PM
It is metal but its also painted. I've moved it several times and never felt that scratching would be an issue. It is raised on each side, so theoretically you could add a strip of rubber to the phone rack itself to protect it even more.

IJ Reilly
Apr 27, 2004, 03:29 PM
How do you type with the PB elevated so high up? I don't know about you guys, but my hands are attached to ends of my arms, not my shoulders. A better solution is the RoadTools Pivot 360. Cost: $20. Small, thin and fits easily into a bag.

mikeyredk
Apr 27, 2004, 04:51 PM
How do you type with the PB elevated so high up? I don't know about you guys, but my hands are attached to ends of my arms, not my shoulders. A better solution is the RoadTools Pivot 360. Cost: $20. Small, thin and fits easily into a bag.

we use external keyboards. At-least I do

rt_brained
Apr 27, 2004, 07:34 PM
I wouldn't trust my $2400 PowerBook to a $9 POS from Wal-Mart either.Sounds more like an aversion to shopping at WalMart.

Unclej78
Apr 27, 2004, 07:59 PM
How do you type with the PB elevated so high up? I don't know about you guys, but my hands are attached to ends of my arms, not my shoulders.

Dual monitor setup w/a 18" monitor, and I have a separate keyboard, mouse, speakers, etc. Powerbook sits to the left side on me, and use it to display iTunes & the Dock when I'm working.

Counterfit
Apr 28, 2004, 06:55 PM
Sounds more like an aversion to shopping at WalMart. A bit of both really.

parrothead
Apr 28, 2004, 07:26 PM

My wife has been using this exact stand for her ibook for over a year now and she loves it. It looks great and works perfectly. I highly recommend this for someone that is looking for a stand!

legion
Apr 28, 2004, 07:37 PM
Sounds more like an aversion to shopping at WalMart.

No. Haven't you heard.. you're supposed to spend at least 20% of the cost of your laptop on any accessory. So for a $2400 laptop, you need a stand that costs at least $480. Otherwise you're just cheap and we don't want you... If you can't afford the accessories, then go buy a windoze peecee. We don't want you to bring down our club.

[/sarcasm]

anyway... IIRC, Counterfit is a 16 year old kid (who probably hasn't bought a PB with his own money... not that there aren't kids who get jobs and are able to)

Counterfit
Apr 28, 2004, 07:55 PM
anyway... IIRC, Counterfit is a 16 year old kid (who probably hasn't bought a PB with his own money... not that there aren't kids who get jobs and are able to) I beg your pardon?!

legion
Apr 28, 2004, 09:06 PM
I beg your pardon?!

I apologize..
19, unemployed and penniless (your stat listing)

wait until you get into the real world.

Counterfit
Apr 29, 2004, 01:09 AM
I apologize..Accepted, I guess...
19, unemployed and penniless (your stat listing)
Yeap. But only for a few more weeks, then I get a job, again. This time maybe at CompUSA...
wait until you get into the real world. Nah, I plan on staying in school, transferring to a new one and switching majors every few years :D

justin216
May 9, 2004, 05:06 PM
I love my iCurve, but thats not exacly a bad idea, especially for sub-$10

pimentoLoaf
May 9, 2004, 08:53 PM
I just use a wire dishrack, as it dissipates heat rather nicely through normal airflow around my aluminum beast.

aswitcher
May 10, 2004, 01:39 AM
I just use a wire dishrack, as it dissipates heat rather nicely through normal airflow around my aluminum beast.

Yeah, I am baulking at the prices on simple form factor stands...

ExoticFish
May 10, 2004, 08:45 AM
awesome if you're on a budget but i'm really happy with my iCurve!

joshuajestelle
May 10, 2004, 09:13 AM
I love my iCurve, but thats not exacly a bad idea, especially for sub-$10

I have to give another vote of confidence for the iCurve, I just got mine and its terrific.

Josh

mikeyredk
May 10, 2004, 06:02 PM
hey who ever said party cups were tasteless didn't see the pics of them in action.

link (https://cms.psu.edu/AngelUploads/Files/msa173/Archive.zip) hope it works

joshuajestelle
May 10, 2004, 06:06 PM
hey who ever said party cups were tasteless didn't see the pics of them in action.

link (https://cms.psu.edu/AngelUploads/Files/msa173/Archive.zip) hope it works

who links to a 9 MB download on a forum?!?! :eek:

heh. thank god for broadband connections to the internet. :cool:

joshuajestelle
May 10, 2004, 06:10 PM
wow.
that looks like the most unstable accident waiting to happen i've ever seen.
hope your powerbook never falls and crashes to its death.
josh

mikeyredk
May 10, 2004, 06:30 PM
wow.
that looks like the most unstable accident waiting to happen i've ever seen.
hope your powerbook never falls and crashes to its death.
josh

perfectly stable if one of the cups fall the other three pick up slack right now only 2 of them are being compressed on

sorry about the large file size :cool:

Gabriel
May 13, 2004, 10:09 AM
Do you need an external keyboard with an iCurve? I'm considering getting one (an iCurve), but I'm not sure if I want to spring for an external keyboard as well.

joshuajestelle
May 13, 2004, 10:12 AM
Do you need an external keyboard with an iCurve? I'm considering getting one (an iCurve), but I'm not sure if I want to spring for an external keyboard as well.

I suppose you don't need one, but with your laptop elevated they keyboard probably isn't at the best position for you to type on.

I would look into an inexpensive USB keyboard instead of the Apple ones, it'll be a lot cheaper and should still work fine.

Josh

ExoticFish
May 13, 2004, 10:38 AM
i got an external keyboard, but it was a tough decision as to which one to get. i ended up spending a little more and getting the Apple Pro keyboard and i have no regrets. it's great and it has a small footprint which i love. my final choice came down to me going to MicroCenter and trying them all out first, after that the Apple was just the obvious choice for me.

jknight8907
Jun 17, 2004, 01:06 PM
You don't exactly 'spring' for a $9 keyboard from walmart. Might not look the best but if it works it works.