PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo! Messenger Now Available in App Store

MacRumors
Apr 7, 2009, 11:13 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/04/07/yahoo-messenger-now-available-in-app-store/)

Yahoo! Messenger for iPhone [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=309219097&mt=8), Free] is now available in the App Store.

Connect with all your friends:
Instant message with your Yahoo! Messenger contacts wherever you are.

Show off and Stay in control:
Show yourself as available or busy, go invisible, or show off your status and let your friends know what you’re up to.

Share away
Share photos, emoticons and links, right from your iPhone.

Yahoo! announced the upcoming availability of the application and posted a video preview (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/04/02/yahoo-releases-iphone-app-posts-video-preview-of-messenger/) of the instant messaging application last week to demonstrate several of its features. The announcement was made in conjunction with the release of a new Yahoo! Mobile site and iPhone application.

Article Link: Yahoo! Messenger Now Available in App Store (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/04/07/yahoo-messenger-now-available-in-app-store/)

michael.lauden
Apr 7, 2009, 11:21 AM
is it just me or is Yahoo dead... maybe its the lack of POP3 and the 200 chat clients that feature Yahoo messaging..

stevearm
Apr 7, 2009, 11:24 AM
Not in UK store!!

wtf

j_maddison
Apr 7, 2009, 11:26 AM
Not available in the UK store

I'm not sure it's relevant in the UK anymore though, at one time it was huge! Everyone seemed to be using it, but then msn took over and yahoo seemed to do nothing as an IM client

It's always good to have options though, but I just don't know anyone who uses it anymore in the UK..... actually I know one :) mind you she also signs into msn at the same time, so pointless really

Jay

SFStateStudent
Apr 7, 2009, 11:42 AM
I'll give it a shot; though still worried about all those bugs with the initial Yahoo app.....:eek::eek::eek:

trunkster
Apr 7, 2009, 11:46 AM
Contacts don't seem to load in firmware 3.0. Anyone else have this proble
?

panagiotisgr
Apr 7, 2009, 11:57 AM
not available in Greek store. hmmm. i wonder some times how hard is to let an app go world wide available? how an app is gonna succeed if it available only in US?

Scooterman1
Apr 7, 2009, 12:23 PM
WiFi connection, and it shows Connecting..... after loggin on and in the Contacts screen.

Forget this post... my bad.

I was logging into Yahoo Messenger under a mail alias. It seemed to log in and hung on Connecting...

Once I logged out of Messenger, then back in under my correct email login, it worked fine.

roberry82
Apr 7, 2009, 12:24 PM
is it just me or is Yahoo dead... maybe its the lack of POP3 and the 200 chat clients that feature Yahoo messaging..

I agree. The day I actually use a chat client for all the services I've signed up for individually is the day I need to have my computer/phone taken away from me. There are too many multi-service clients out there for me to run to the App Store to get this one.

What? A year too late, Y!, huh?

Saladinos
Apr 7, 2009, 12:47 PM
Yahoo! Messenger can connect to the MSN network (or at least, you can message people on MSN with Y! Messenger), making this indeed noteworthy.

SFStateStudent
Apr 7, 2009, 12:57 PM
Yahoo Messenger is working fine, just need to add other contacts....:cool::cool::cool:

zos
Apr 7, 2009, 01:34 PM
Still not available in Canada. Maybe these posts should indicate which store they are available. Seems like its only available in US right now.

drew0020
Apr 7, 2009, 01:38 PM
I cant login to any Yahoo iPhone application nor can I get Yahoo email using the mail application. Of course I can login through my web browser on the phone and my Macbook. Very weird!

Binarymix
Apr 7, 2009, 04:53 PM
Yahoo! Messenger can connect to the MSN network (or at least, you can message people on MSN with Y! Messenger), making this indeed noteworthy.

It's not working for me. I can IM anyone I want on Hotmail, but they do not receive my IM's nor do I receive theirs.

Maybe the iPhone version is using a different backend?

canadan
Apr 7, 2009, 06:18 PM
Uggh, figures, yet another US only app. This is so annoying :(

cmcconkey
Apr 7, 2009, 08:33 PM
I have downloaded it and now it won't connect. Just times out.

CM

pawcio
Apr 7, 2009, 09:06 PM
Its not available in Canadian App Store, but I used that "setting up american account to download it" (the one that was used to get the Skype app) trick and it syncs up perfectly with all my other apps. :D I dunno why all these apps are starting to become US app store only!?

nibbet
Apr 7, 2009, 09:28 PM
It's about a year too late. I said that if Yahoo wanted to stay a float it needed to release this App when the app store originally opened.

GenNovE
Apr 7, 2009, 10:08 PM
It is working fine on iphone 3.0.

not bad at all.

michael.lauden
Apr 7, 2009, 11:06 PM
yep. not to mention clients for windows and os x.

i have (sadly) been running adium in the background. for Facebook Chat (can't keep up with it on the page) and signed into Yahoo just for the heck of it on there.

nothing beats iChat for me, personally!

iMAVERICKam
Apr 8, 2009, 12:29 AM
This is a complete non-story... the Yahoo! oneConnect app has been offered with Messenger integration for quite a while now.

It's not working for me. I can IM anyone I want on Hotmail, but they do not receive my IM's nor do I receive theirs.

Maybe the iPhone version is using a different backend?

It's probably using the same crummy network as the desktop client, which has the same problems from time to time when used with Windows Live Messenger Super Spiffy Express Plus! Edition SP3.

dborja
Apr 8, 2009, 01:10 AM
This is a complete non-story... the Yahoo! oneConnect app has been offered with Messenger integration for quite a while now.

I was wondering what the difference is between OneConnect and this app...

kicko
Apr 8, 2009, 11:02 AM
One connect is pretty buggy and not very useful. The new yahoo app seems like a "do over" version of one connect without messanger. So then came this Y! messanger app. to fill in the blanks.

I dont find this one of much use. Anything like Nimbuzz, Fring, Or IM+ (lite) can handle all of your IM needs.

dborja
Apr 8, 2009, 11:18 AM
One connect is pretty buggy and not very useful. The new yahoo app seems like a "do over" version of one connect without messanger. So then came this Y! messanger app. to fill in the blanks.

I dont find this one of much use. Anything like Nimbuzz, Fring, Or IM+ (lite) can handle all of your IM needs.

Ok, I'll try those apps.

Thanks!

The Phazer
Apr 9, 2009, 01:55 AM
It's now appeared in the UK store.

Phazer

iMacoo7
Apr 9, 2009, 11:40 AM
Working nicely. For those in other countries that this application is not showing up in. You can set up another itunes account , not put any cc information on the form and then you should be good to go, meaning that your country will not show up, thus giving you the ability to download the application.
This trick was adopted by the ones that couldnt download skype living in Canada...
Hope that helps

Rat-Boy
Apr 9, 2009, 04:16 PM
I have been playing with this app quite a bit today.

Here is what I have found:

1) Unlike Beejive, there is no way of receiving IMs once you close the application.

2) Like Beejive, after you close the application, your friends will still see you as "online" when in reality, you aren't, because you aren't getting your IMs unless you re-open the application.

They need to incorporate the IM to Email feature like Beejive has. This feature is awesome because you can then put in your phone-number@txt.att.net and Beejive will SMS you when you get an IM even when the application is closed.

dborja
Apr 9, 2009, 04:29 PM
I have been playing with this app quite a bit today.

Here is what I have found:

1) Unlike Beejive, there is no way of receiving IMs once you close the application.

2) Like Beejive, after you close the application, your friends will still see you as "online" when in reality, you aren't, because you aren't getting your IMs unless you re-open the application.

They need to incorporate the IM to Email feature like Beejive has. This feature is awesome because you can then put in your phone-number@txt.att.net and Beejive will SMS you when you get an IM even when the application is closed.

I noticed this too on OneConnect. That's why I stopped using it.

They certainly have the technology to fix this. On my desktop Yahoo Messenger, there is an option to switch to mobile mode (communicate via SMS) when you sign off or quit the application. All they have to do for the iPhone is switch to your registered SMS device as the app is closing down...

mikeinternet
Apr 9, 2009, 07:36 PM

That's what I was thinking. But choice is always good.

Kaushal
Apr 9, 2009, 08:10 PM
wow.......it works perfect :D