PDA

View Full Version : Gmail and Google Calendar Update for iPhone

MacRumors
Apr 7, 2009, 01:10 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/04/07/gmail-and-google-calendar-update-for-iphone/)

According to the official Google Mac Blog (http://googlemac.blogspot.com/2009/04/updated-gmail-and-calendar-for-iphone.html), Gmail and Google Calendar have been updated for the iPhone.Today I'm happy to announce that we've updated Gmail and Calendar for the iPhone. We've completely re-architected the code so you get more consistent performance, refreshed the user interface so it's easier to perform batch actions, and most importantly, laid the foundation which will allow us to iterate quickly and provide you with performance improvements and new features in the future.Google has also posted a brief video intro to the improved Gmail and provided additional details on the changes to Gmail on the Google Mobile Blog (http://googlemobile.blogspot.com/2009/04/gmail-gets-new-engine-for-iphone-and.html).

Article Link: Gmail and Google Calendar Update for iPhone (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/04/07/gmail-and-google-calendar-update-for-iphone/)

Apr 7, 2009, 01:20 PM
I preferred the look of the old interface better, but it looks like they've added more functionality so that should balance it out.

SiuPak
Apr 7, 2009, 01:22 PM
At past, I didn't realise why I need a Gmail webapp for iPhone while iPhone already supports Gmail IMAP natively...

Now I know...the webapp is much more complete in functions. Gmail is different from traditional email boxes.:)

cRuNcHiE
Apr 7, 2009, 01:24 PM
I still seem to be getting the older version here in the UK

Luke1robb
Apr 7, 2009, 01:24 PM
It would be really nice if Google put all there web apps in an actual app (Google Mobile App) and set up the interface so it was free of the safari bars. This would free up space and allow for greater integration. Thoughts? They could also put google maps in the app...?

gwmac
Apr 7, 2009, 01:26 PM
Surely this can't be better than enabling imap and using the mail application and exchange on the iphone?

MikhailT
Apr 7, 2009, 01:37 PM
Surely this can't be better than enabling imap and using the mail application and exchange on the iphone?

Yes it is better. Mail.app for iPhone is very limited compared to Gmail site.

For example, can you see threaded conservation in Mail.app?

gwmac
Apr 7, 2009, 01:42 PM
If the app isn't open do you get a notification that there are new messages, and if you view a mail on the iphone is it labelled as viewed on the main gmail site?

pendo
Apr 7, 2009, 01:48 PM
I'm still getting the old version as well. I tried clearing cookies, history, and cache, but still old version.

WildCowboy
Apr 7, 2009, 01:55 PM
For those of you still seeing the old version, note this comment from the article:

We're rolling out this release over the next few days, so if you don't see the updated user interface, check back soon.

:)

tobefirst
Apr 7, 2009, 01:58 PM
The second Google comes out with a mail application that can display badges and check for mail automatically, I'm jailbreaking and hiding the built in Mail app.

ruinfx
Apr 7, 2009, 02:55 PM
If the app isn't open do you get a notification that there are new messages, and if you view a mail on the iphone is it labelled as viewed on the main gmail site?

first question: no. and its not an app, its a webapp in safari.

second question yes.

pendo
Apr 7, 2009, 02:58 PM
One reason I may not be seeing the updated version is I'm only on 2.2 since I'm a jailbreaker. In the blog it says it's for 2.2.1

B2k1977
Apr 7, 2009, 03:10 PM
At past, I didn't realise why I need a Gmail webapp for iPhone while iPhone already supports Gmail IMAP natively...

Now I know...the webapp is much more complete in functions. Gmail is different from traditional email boxes.:)

I noticed that too. I also noticed, I don't need all the functionality for the basics of sending and recieving mail. I've used the mobile web based version a total of maybe 3 times but I do see it's value.

NewGenAdam
Apr 7, 2009, 04:35 PM
This is great, really good news and it looks like a fantastic, flexible interface. It even html5 caches!!

But it has no push. Until I can have push too, it's not going to happen.
They also need to get gmail pushing, full stop.

finnns2000
Apr 7, 2009, 04:56 PM
Yes it is better. Mail.app for iPhone is very limited compared to Gmail site.

For example, can you see threaded conservation in Mail.app?

Yeah that's annoying. Threaded convos are displayed one by one. Gets very sloppy if you have a thread with 3 or more people.

Rat-Boy
Apr 7, 2009, 05:27 PM
One of the best advantages of the mail.app is that you can move emails to "Folders", which are your labels in GMail.

Their mobile email, even the new version, doesn't let you do that yet.

Once it does, I will probably use the GMail web app permanently.

rockosmodurnlif
Apr 7, 2009, 07:54 PM
I can't believe how late Google came in with email and how far they have leaped ahead of Yahoo! and Hot/Live/Whatever MS calls their mail.

Xibalba
Apr 7, 2009, 09:22 PM

my thoughts exactly - maybe with the new updates i will try the webapp version again...

MHerstand
Apr 7, 2009, 10:50 PM
But you still can't add new events to the calendar while offline or see future events. They need a real app for iPod users (and iPhone users w/o consistent fast internet)! Unless anyone knows how to sync the iPod calendar to gCal without plugging into the computer?

MikhailT
Apr 8, 2009, 12:47 AM
But you still can't add new events to the calendar while offline or see future events. They need a real app for iPod users (and iPhone users w/o consistent fast internet)! Unless anyone knows how to sync the iPod calendar to gCal without plugging into the computer?

If I am correct in my thinking, if you wait for OS 3.0, there'll be support for caldav, and i think you can use that in native ical on both iphone and mac os x with gcal.

Bitslong
Apr 8, 2009, 01:20 AM
Have you tried Googles own (new) sync? It works great for me:
http://googlemobile.blogspot.com/2009/02/google-sync-beta-for-iphone-winmo-and.html

Works offline and over wifi (for iPod users)

dj420118
Apr 8, 2009, 06:35 AM
Did anybody notice the "Google Talk" application/icon on the screen at the end of the video. This might just be a shortcut to their google talk web version but i thought it was interesting...

OlgaJ
Apr 8, 2009, 08:57 AM
Only one problem that I have come across so far with the new webapp is that JPG files cannot be viewed. I get a question mark instead of a clickable file name.

cmendill
Apr 8, 2009, 09:09 AM
The second Google comes out with a mail application that can display badges and check for mail automatically, I'm jailbreaking and hiding the built in Mail app.

Exactly. I can't see how any email interface is useful if it can't alert you when you have new mail.

Is this maybe why gmail is holding off on iphone push - they want us to use their interface?

twoodcc
Apr 8, 2009, 09:25 AM
interesting. i'll have to check this out

TwiceNightly
Apr 10, 2009, 05:22 AM
Still haven't got this! It was supposed to roll out "over the course of a day" so where is mine?

I have 2.2.1, I have reset, cleared my cache, deleted the databases, tried everything and I still get the old one :(

Anyone know why?

OlgaJ
Apr 10, 2009, 08:18 AM
=TwiceNightly;7439453
I have 2.2.1, I have reset, cleared my cache, deleted the databases, tried everything and I still get the old one :(

Anyone know why?

What do you mean still get the old one? The existing google mail app does not change. Here are directions:

http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2009/04/new-mobile-gmail-experience-for-iphone.html

diemos
Apr 10, 2009, 10:38 AM
very cool, Google always out does it self.

paulshephard
Apr 10, 2009, 05:46 PM
In addition to another poster noticing the 'Google talk' icon on their home screen... I also happened to notice the 'Google Sync' application. Unless again this is a case of just being a web shortcut rather than an app, but I did try adding a few of their Sync instruction pages to my home screen and none seemed to generate that icon!

TwiceNightly
Apr 10, 2009, 06:04 PM
What do you mean still get the old one? The existing google mail app does not change. Here are directions:

http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2009/04/new-mobile-gmail-experience-for-iphone.html

The mail app does change. It looks different, labels are clearer and in a different position, there's the floaty bar, and also the offline mail. I don't have any of this and still can't get it!!

OlgaJ
Apr 10, 2009, 10:25 PM
The mail app does change. It looks different, labels are clearer and in a different position, there's the floaty bar, and also the offline mail. I don't have any of this and still can't get it!!

The existing mail app does NOT change. It remains as it was. You have to create your own shortcut to the new web app by going thru Safari at first and then you can add it to your iPhone per instructions here:

http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=31238

I have both the old and the new on my iPhone.

TwiceNightly
Apr 11, 2009, 03:31 AM
Ok, wires crossed! I have meant the web app all along!

If I go to gmail.com on my iPhone I still get the old version - know how to fix that? I have tried all I stated above and still get the old version

novacoder
Apr 14, 2009, 05:43 AM
This NOTE on official googlemobile (http://googlemobile.blogspot.com/2009/04/gmail-gets-new-engine-for-iphone-and.html) blog might help you:

*Please note: The new Gmail for mobile only supports iPhone/iPod Touch OS 2.2.1 or above. If you have an older firmware version, you'll be directed to the previous Gmail for mobile.

TwiceNightly
Apr 14, 2009, 02:55 PM
I have 2.2.1 on a non-jailbroken iPhone :(

jphealy
Apr 15, 2009, 03:27 AM
I have 2.2.1 on a non-jailbroken iPhone :(

Me too - and I'm not getting the new version either!!! Could it be our location? I'm in Ireland. Where are you?

emotion
Apr 15, 2009, 03:39 AM

Google have licensed MS Exchange for Google Sync. I sync my calendars and contacts with Google over the air. It works very well indeed.

TwiceNightly
Apr 15, 2009, 04:53 AM
Me too - and I'm not getting the new version either!!! Could it be our location? I'm in Ireland. Where are you?

Sorted it!! Here's how.....

Go to gmail.com on your iPhone

Scroll to the bottom and tap "desktop"

Scroll to the top and choose "settings"

Change your language to "English US"

Reload and it'll be the new Gmail!!!

jphealy
Apr 15, 2009, 04:59 AM
Sorted it!! Here's how.....

Go to gmail.com on your iPhone

Scroll to the bottom and tap "desktop"

Scroll to the top and choose "settings"

Change your language to "English US"

Reload and it'll be the new Gmail!!!

Awesome!! Well done, sir.

hob
Apr 20, 2009, 11:03 AM
That's SO lame you have to be English (US).... gah...!

Rat-Boy
May 5, 2009, 01:26 PM
Just noticed a few days ago that on the Google Web Mail app, you can now use your labels!!

I can also see images that are in emails it looks like.

The ONLY limitation I see currently is when someone emails you their phone number.

In Apple's Mail.app, it turns that number into a link that you can click and call the number.

Google has not implemented that yet. But as rare as that is, I am probably just going to switch to the Gmail Web Mail app for every day use.

At least, until Push comes on the Mail.app for GMail.

GFSarah
May 5, 2009, 02:02 PM
Just noticed a few days ago that on the Google Web Mail app, you can now use your labels!!

I can also see images that are in emails it looks like.

The ONLY limitation I see currently is when someone emails you their phone number.

In Apple's Mail.app, it turns that number into a link that you can click and call the number.

Google has not implemented that yet. But as rare as that is, I am probably just going to switch to the Gmail Web Mail app for every day use.

At least, until Push comes on the Mail.app for GMail.

FANTASTIC!!! Great find!

This is the thing I've been waiting for! I've actually been going back and forth between turning this account on and off in the mail.app as needed so I could use the labels.

((I have my gmail account forward to mobileme so I get it pushed and while I use both accounts regularly, I hate having them both turned on at the same time because I see twice as many new mails in the badge as I really have or it shows stuff that I've read in one account but not the other (and I can't handle that). As a result, I've been using mobileme with the mail.app and the web app for gmail -- but having to turn gmail back on in the mail.app in order to use my labels.))

Thanks so much for posting your find! I'm so in-the-habit of doing what I mentioned above that I probably would have never noticed the new capability on my own. Thanks again, Rat Boy (awesome name, by the way) !!!

Marvin1379
May 5, 2009, 05:13 PM
My question is where is Latitude? When I saw the update available for Google Mobile, i thought it would be included, but no go......