PDA

View Full Version : 4x DVD-R not working on ALbook

parrothead
Apr 19, 2004, 04:33 PM
If anyone can help that would be great. I bought a 15" 1.25 Albook three weeks ago and I finally had some reason to burn a DVD last night. Only problem is that the computer would spit out the disc after about 15-20 seconds of trying to read it. The dis is a TDK DVD-R, on the lable it says 4x. I looked up info on this and everything I have seen says that 2x drives (like the one in my computer) should be able to use 4x discs. Has anyone else had this problem? Am I doomed to have to search around for the old 2x discs that are becoming hard to find? :confused:

tpjunkie
Apr 19, 2004, 04:58 PM
unfortunately, there's been a break in the format, so the 4x discs can only be burnt at 1x in a 2x drive.

parrothead
Apr 19, 2004, 05:20 PM
unfortunately, there's been a break in the format, so the 4x discs can only be burnt at 1x in a 2x drive.

I wouldnt mind if my discs would burn at ANY speed. The problem is that my computer wont take the 4x discs at all. I havent tried any 2x discs yet because I have been unable to find any to try!

crazzyeddie
Apr 19, 2004, 05:37 PM
I wouldnt mind if my discs would burn at ANY speed. The problem is that my computer wont take the 4x discs at all. I havent tried any 2x discs yet because I have been unable to find any to try!

Are you sure its DVD-R media and not DVD+R? That sounds like the problem here. If the drive reads it for a few seconds, then spits it back out, that means the Firmware on the optical drive doesn't recognize any format from the media.

parrothead
Apr 19, 2004, 05:42 PM
Are you sure its DVD-R media and not DVD+R? That sounds like the problem here. If the drive reads it for a few seconds, then spits it back out, that means the Firmware on the optical drive doesn't recognize any format from the media.

I made sure that the discs are DVD-R not +R . I was thinking it could be the firmware, but my computer is only 3 weeks old and the Apple support site claims that all newer macs should be able to use 4x discs.

live4ever
Apr 19, 2004, 06:48 PM
No probs with 4x in mine, though I use mainly Pine and Sony DVD-Rs.

Probably just a bad disk. Does it do it with every single brand of DVD-R? What about CD-Rs? DVD-RWs etc.

parrothead
Apr 20, 2004, 02:20 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies and advice. Unfortunately I am a complete dufus. I got home from work yesterday and I saw that much to my embarassment that the discs are DVD+R not DVD-R. So I guess the problem is solved. Wrong kind of discs. :confused: :rolleyes: