PDA

View Full Version : D40 vs. D80

Krafty
Apr 9, 2009, 09:25 PM
I was thinking about selling my D40 and some other stuff to get a D80 body. However, my friend who does photoshooting already and has a D300, says the D40 body is better, but when I used my friends D80 I was in love with it more than my D40, so is it worth it?

Krafty
Apr 10, 2009, 03:04 PM
*cough*

leighonigar
Apr 10, 2009, 03:24 PM
What do you want the D80 for? If you're happy with the D40 personally I would wait at least until the D90 is at D80 prices and get one of those, at least the D90 is significantly better, image wise.

Krafty
Apr 10, 2009, 03:28 PM
I like to do large portraits and landscape, and comparing the image sizes of the D80 and D40, I noticed the D80 was better, and the AF is faster. I couldn't really understand what my friend meant when he said the D40 was better. I also found the display at the top better than having to press a button on the D40 everytime to view the info.

For some reason, I handle bigger SLRs better than smaller ones.

cube
Apr 10, 2009, 04:06 PM
The only thing I could imagine is that the D40 is better for high ISO, like a slightly improved D50 in this respect.

leighonigar
Apr 10, 2009, 04:18 PM
Cube is right. I might hold off and see what this new Nikon is http://nikonrumors.com/2009/04/06/this-is-the-real-deal-nikon-d5000.aspx this new low-end camera will probably have better image quality than the D80.

cosmokanga2
Apr 10, 2009, 04:53 PM
The D80 is a little aged and has been replaced by the D90. I shoot with a D80 which I got last summer and have been very happy with the results. Feature, body and usability wise it is much better than the D40. One of the deciding factors when I purchased mine was the separate aperture and shutter controls and the small screen up top. Not having to go to the menus to change settings is much faster and easier.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you also have a larger selection of lens with the D80 due to it having a AF motor in the body or something like that.

Great camera overall.

Paddrino
Apr 10, 2009, 06:05 PM
I have owned both a D40 and a D80. The major differences I have found are:

1) I personally found that the higher ISOs on the D40 to come out a little better than the same ISOs on the D80. I am mostly talking about the 400-600 range. The D90 (the newer replacement to the D80) does a much better job at these ISOs and higher.

2) The metering (and to a lesser extent the white balance) on the D40 in my opinion is better than the D80. This is ESPECIALLY true with matrix metering. If you do batch processes of photos (dump your pictures into Adobe Lightroom or Bridge and apply the same exposure / white balance to multiple pictures) you will find out what I'm talking about in about 5 seconds. :) You can solve most of the problems by setting a specific white balance (and then fix them during post processing) and spot metering, but it can be frustrating when you are not used to these modes.

Here are the definate advantages of the d80 vs the d40 and why I purchased the d80:

1) At the time the d90 had just come out, but the darn thing was 1,000 bucks body only. The advantages (better / higher ISOs, etc.) just wasn't worth it in my opinion, although since the "newness" has gone away the d90 is a very good camera for the $.

2) If you have older lenses you can use the auto focus motor on the d80, but not the d40. The d40 doesn't have an autofocus motor so the older (and cheaper I might add) lenses such as the 1.8f 50mm (perfect for head shots / portraits with the crop factor) will work much better and you will get more / better shots instead of missing some of those low DOF moments when your sharp focus is only like 1 or 2 inches. You can find some great deals on used, older, fast lenses that will work great with your d80.

3) The d80 has a built in commander for wireless external off camera flash control. The d40 would require either purchasing an after market controller and be another piece of equipment you would need to keep track of. I have an sb600 that works great as an external flash by putting my camera's flash into commander mode.

4) The d80 has a few more megapixels than the d40, although by the time you get to the level of a dslr quality camera, this doesn't matter much unless you are doing some significant cropping of your images. In this case a few extra megapixels help somewhat.

5) The d80 has all your camera settings on the top display. It also has an extra dial and the ability to quickly change your various camera modes / settings. This you will find as a SIGNIFICANT advantage from your d40. Hunting those menus is a total pain, and drove me insane with my d40 because I would miss a great shot because my camera was set to iso 200 and the light was dim. With the d80 you just hit one button and dial the click wheel to change ISO / various settings.

My personal recommendation is this:

If you have the extra $$ to spend, get the d90, you will probably be happier with the choice, but if you are wanting to save some money and get a few more features than you have with your d40, you could do much worse than getting a d80. You will however need to play around with the camera a bit especially if you are still using the "auto" mode on your d40 most of the time. This could be an excellent opportunity to upgrade your camera and start using the other modes on that dial. :)

Krafty
Apr 10, 2009, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the great insights, I rarely use the Auto mode on my D40, but a portion of that comes from the fact that the AF engine in my stock lens is dead somehow.

I chose the D80 cause if I sold the D40, I could probably just rack up a few more bucks and get one off Craigslist, as the D90's are still going for $1000. But if the D90 is worth it, I can hold off, see how much my summer job can pay (cause I'm still saving for a MacBook Pro). If not, I'll get the MBP and hold off. Gotta get what I need first before the wants (especially since I'm in college).

jaseone
Apr 10, 2009, 08:22 PM
I wouldn't count on the D80 fixing your lens issue, I don't even know if it would try to use the AF motor in the body with a lens that has a focus motor broken or not.

To me it just doesn't sound like a D80 is going to give you enough bang for your buck for it to be worthwhile, why not forget about a new body all together and get a lens instead? That seems to be your real issue (the broken lens) and not really any restriction in the camera body anyway.

Paddrino
Apr 10, 2009, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the great insights, I rarely use the Auto mode on my D40, but a portion of that comes from the fact that the AF engine in my stock lens is dead somehow.

Well the Auto mode does more than just auto focus. It also sets aperture and shutter speed based mostly upon the built in light meeter. To get your d40 up and running again, you might need to bring it in to your local pro camera shop to see if they can make sure it is your lens (it could be the motor in the AF-S kit lens you probably have) or the camera itself. It could be the communication between the body and the lens. It could be as simple as some loose connection between the lens and the camera body. If it's still under warranty you could get it fixed for free. :)

I chose the D80 cause if I sold the D40, I could probably just rack up a few more bucks and get one off Craigslist, as the D90's are still going for $1000. But if the D90 is worth it, I can hold off, see how much my summer job can pay (cause I'm still saving for a MacBook Pro). If not, I'll get the MBP and hold off. Gotta get what I need first before the wants (especially since I'm in college).

Well the good thing about the macbook pro is that you can work on post processing your images which will also help you take better photographs. Post processing really helps you develop what is "wrong" with your images and helps you to identify key parts of your photography techniques that you identify as needing work.

I would definitely say that the d90 is worth it if you can wait. If you can't or can't justify the cost between the 80 and the 90 then the d80 is a good choice.

p.s. If the lens is bad, then you will still not be able to auto focus if the lens that isn't working is an AF-S lens. The AF-S lenses have a built in auto focus motor that is dependent on the camera body to auto focus. It doesn't have a screw that an auto focus motor will connect to on the d80 auto focus motor.

ChrisA
Apr 10, 2009, 08:52 PM
I was thinking about selling my D40 and some other stuff to get a D80 body. However, my friend who does photoshooting already and has a D300, says the D40 body is better, but when I used my friends D80 I was in love with it more than my D40, so is it worth it?

Some people don't like the way the D80's light meter, when set to "matrix" handles exposure. BUt the d80 has an in-body focus motor which opens up a lot more lenses. I've thought that a D80 upgrade could pay for itself quickly by allowing us of soe great used lenses that would not fit the D40. For example with a D40 you could get a $600 80-200 f/2.8 zoom but the the d40 you'd need the much more expensice version of the f/2.8 zoom. Pretty much instant payback.

Krafty
Apr 10, 2009, 08:55 PM
Alright. I don't think it's under warranty. Nikon told me to send it in, but I can't cause I need it for class, and my friends wont let me use theirs (cause most of them have other sets of lens, so I can understand the feeling of everyday hoping your friend hasnt broken $200+ worth of merchandise). I still don't know how the AF died, havent dropped it.

I knew the D80 wouldn't fix the lens, but I wasn't sure whether to get another pair of lens, and work with the D40 for sometime until I come near the ability to get a D80 (which will be a hell of a long time), but since the lens was alright, its just the motor, I figured I would suck it up and manual focus until I got a new pair. My friend had a 17-50mm (Tamco? I'm not sure, she got it in Korea), so I thought working with a 18-55mm would be alright since I'm mostly used to it.

vicious1
Apr 12, 2009, 04:28 PM
but, the D40 and the D0 are both aged where the D80 still has more benefits since it's a "pro-sumer" targeted camera and the D40 is clear entry level.

If you can I would hold off for a d90 (you can get them for under 1k if you spend time shopping around) but make sure you get the stock VR lens as well.

Personally I love my D90 (coming from a Olympus E series) but I don't undersntand you friends not borrowing you a lens for a while. At 200 bucks I would say, well if you break it you buy it. now borrowing a 500+ lens that's a different story but a normal zoom lens (18-55 for example) should not be a problem.

Nikon will charge you btw even if they dont fix it because you tell them not to if they tell you the problem.

Now you are saying you want to shoot large landscapes and portraits. Instead of buying a new body (for a few megapixels), I would get a 50mm lens and a ultra wide angle. They both will cost you , especially with built in AF, but I don't see why your current camera wouldn't be able to capture images that could be printed big.

But thena gain, that's just me.

sangosimo
Apr 12, 2009, 07:29 PM
d80 is better in every way. get a proper camera with dedicated buttons and you can use more lenses.

Mr.Noisy
Apr 12, 2009, 07:52 PM
If you can I would hold off for a d90

^thats the best advice^,
and get a nice wide lens, I use the Sigma 10-20mm, a lot of fun in a small package, or just look around for a used 18-70mm lens, there are loads floating around, and cheap too, and it's still a good lens, i blow the dust off mine now and then, but mainly leave the 10-20mm on it these days.

FF_productions
Apr 13, 2009, 12:02 AM
I'll also give a nod for D90, it's about $900 for the body now, really good camera for the price.

Krafty
Apr 13, 2009, 10:50 AM
ut I don't undersntand you friends not borrowing you a lens for a while. At 200 bucks I would say, well if you break it you buy it. now borrowing a 500+ lens that's a different story but a normal zoom lens (18-55 for example) should not be a problem.The 18-55mm only goes for about $100 on Amazon if I remember correctly, and I have the stock 18-55mm lens. She had a 55-200mm that I feel in love with (see, I fall in love with all my friends better gadgets).

I would get a 50mm lens and a ultra wide angle.Is that a fixed? My friend let me borrow her fixed 50mm and I could not master it for the life of me. The viewfinder would look crystal clear but on-screen there's still a little blur.

^thats the best advice^,
and get a nice wide lens, I use the Sigma 10-20mm, a lot of fun in a small package, or just look around for a used 18-70mm lens, there are loads floating around, and cheap too, and it's still a good lens, i blow the dust off mine now and then, but mainly leave the 10-20mm on it these days.Alright, I was actually looking at some Sigmas for my D40. I think I made a topic here and no one responded (happens quite often).

vicious1
Apr 13, 2009, 12:53 PM
Personally I think Sigmas are great lenses but some are also way below par. The 70-300mm DC is dirt cheap and it might be a great entry level lens but as soon as you want to get sharpness etc. it will not perform.

for walk around lenses I prefer Nikon (Nikkor) though.

Krafty
Apr 13, 2009, 01:47 PM
A guy is offering $525 for a D80 body, but perhaps I should keep re-loading my budget on lens first? (Or at least something to replace the broken ones?)

Or will $1000 be the entire kit?

cube
Apr 13, 2009, 02:14 PM
You can get it with 1 year Cameta warranty for that kind of money.

Check out their ebay store.

Krafty
Apr 13, 2009, 02:27 PM
You can get it with 1 year Cameta warranty for that kind of money.

Check out their ebay store.

After past experiences, I don't mess with fee-bay anymore.

cube
Apr 13, 2009, 02:44 PM
I didn't mean just any random seller.

Go to www.cameta.com

vicious1
Apr 13, 2009, 04:14 PM
here is the D90 with the nice VR lens : from ADORAMA (http://www.adorama.com/INKD90KR.html?searchinfo=nikon+d90)

999USD with NIKON Warranty.

uMac
Apr 13, 2009, 05:49 PM
I have the D80, and I love it (I also have a D70s-IR, also good, but D40 would be better if not for IR needs).

There are some limitations on the D80 (mainly the ISO is poor after 400, after 800 don't bother unless you actually are trying to get the high noise in your photo for artistic sake).

The D80 is also 10MP versus 6MP in a D40 (D40x = 10MP). Thats a good size jump. After 10MP the next jump would have to be quite high to justify a move only on MP alone.

The D80 has an internal focus motor so some of the older lenses will focus (the ones without the internal focusing motors) so you don't have to spend as much for the newest AFS lenses.

Beyond those three issues, unless you NEED a better camera I'd say hold on to your money and enjoy the D40. Its still a great camera and in 6-12 months the prices will be lower and the cameras will be better.

Thats what I'm doing now, saving up for a D700 (or equivalent), as I have almost reached the limit of what I can do with the D80 in my style of shooting (handheld).

Paddrino
Apr 13, 2009, 08:06 PM
My friend let me borrow her fixed 50mm and I could not master it for the life of me. The viewfinder would look crystal clear but on-screen there's still a little blur.

More than likely it was the low aperture that may have caused the blur. Since the D40 doesn't auto focus (unless you have the af-s model) then the 100 dollar 50mm is manual focus. If you are shooting in low light with a very low f-number then your depth of field is very small. If you are off just a little with the focus (especially when your subject is close) you will get blurred subjects. Sometimes it's hard to nail the right focus point by hand without a ton of practice. I guarantee you that if you go with the d80, the 50mm f1.8 (or if you can afford the 1.4) is probably the best lens in this price range (typically around 100 bucks or less).

Krafty
Apr 13, 2009, 09:02 PM
If the D90 is THAT much worth it, I can wait. I would like to take portrait, landscape, and wide-angel photo's, and hopefully put them up for a portfolio. I also wanted to get the hang of the features on it, so hopefully when I get out of college in 2 years (if everything goes right), I will already be on my way to start making money on the side.

The thing is, I can sell the D40 body, along with some other stuff to hit $500 (which is what the guy is offering for his D80 body), but as I mentioned, $1000 is going to take a hell longer, cause for my summer job I'm using that hopefully for a Pro (saying I get it), and I don't know how much leftover I will have. I've been through having to scrap up money to buy expensive things I need, but more-so, doing it for this may not be worth draining the rest of my savings.

When I do take photos, there are time's where I wish I made more room, cause I like making giant photography. Hopefully, ones that can be printed out and hung up on the wall. I figure though, the same thing can be achieved by the D40.

As the NEED vs. WANT. I know when I want and I know when I need, I stay as far away from asking my parents, unless I need it, which the D80/90 I really do not at the moment to be honest. As I said, if the D90 is worth it, I can wait however long (let it even be out of school), to achieve that. I like to get things that are worth it and will last awhile.

Thanks for the input.

If you are shooting in low light with a very low f-number then your depth of field is very small. If you are off just a little with the focus (especially when your subject is close) you will get blurred subjects.Thats probably it. My friend went to a shop that lets you rent lens, maybe I should try it out first (anything thats fixed).

cosmokanga2
Apr 13, 2009, 09:35 PM
Check out the D5000. It's supposed to be out any day and replace the D40. Nikon Rumors (http://nikonrumors.com/) has info on it.

Specs so far:

2.7″ vari-angle screen
D-Movie
Image edition capability
19 scene modes
Quiet shooting mode
Target following AF
AF 11 points
Airflow control system, Image sensor cleaning system
Supports high sensitivity ISO 3200

http://press.nikon.se/pressbilder/D-SLR/Q770/D5000_18_55_SLup_fr34l_l.jpg
http://press.nikon.se/pressbilder/D-SLR/Q770/D5000_LCD_2_l.jpg

Krafty
Apr 13, 2009, 09:46 PM
Why waste money on a Video SLR if I'm never going to use the video mode? I have a digital camera for that, so I can guarantee thats going to be way out of even being halfway close to my price range. Even the D90 is currently.

Little HZ
Apr 13, 2009, 11:05 PM
As the NEED vs. WANT. I know when I want and I know when I need, I stay as far away from asking my parents, unless I need it, which the D80/90 I really do not at the moment to be honest. As I said, if the D90 is worth it, I can wait however long (let it even be out of school), to achieve that. I like to get things that are worth it and will last awhile.

Here's one more option:

I am in a similar situation (have a D60--looking forward to upgrading), but my plan is to keep the D60 body. Then I can have two separate lenses ready to shoot in some circumstances, or use the older camera when I want to shoot in less than ideal conditions (like a recent day at the shore when a strong wind was blowing lots and lots of sand. I ended up quitting shooting before I wanted to, because I was just too worried about all that sand ... !) :o

Krafty
Apr 13, 2009, 11:24 PM
I suppose I should look into new wide-angel lenses. Perhaps, maybe some side gigs could aid in the quest for a D90. Just a college kid with dreams.

Phrasikleia
Apr 14, 2009, 12:16 AM
Why waste money on a Video SLR if I'm never going to use the video mode? I have a digital camera for that, so I can guarantee thats going to be way out of even being halfway close to my price range. Even the D90 is currently.

I wouldn't dismiss the D5000 so quickly. It has been announced (http://press.nikonusa.com/2009/04/nikons_d5000_digital_slr_camer.php) now, and the list price for the body only is $730.

Krafty
Apr 14, 2009, 12:16 AM
I wouldn't dismiss the D5000 so quickly. It has been announced (http://press.nikonusa.com/2009/04/nikons_d5000_digital_slr_camer.php) now, and the list price for the body only is $730.

Really? It's only going to be that much? :eek:

Phrasikleia
Apr 14, 2009, 12:26 AM
Really? It's only going to be that much? :eek:

Yes, and that's the list price. If you wait a while, the street price will kick in at something even lower. This new camera has the same sensor as the D90, by the way.

Krafty
Apr 14, 2009, 12:28 AM
Yes, and that's the list price. If you wait a while, the street price will kick in at something even lower. This new camera has the same sensor as the D90, by the way.

And there's no release date? It's just suppose to pop-up anytime? That mean's I have to find somethings to sell. I have an SB-600 with my D40 but I think I'll need that. Or I'll just wait until I have enough.

cube
Apr 14, 2009, 02:44 PM
Here's your answer (put it in the cart):

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7633313&st=d200&lp=3&type=product&cp=1&id=1130987191339

Krafty
Apr 14, 2009, 04:11 PM
Here's your answer (put it in the cart):

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7633313&st=d200&lp=3&type=product&cp=1&id=1130987191339

So thats a better choice than the D5000?

cosmokanga2
Apr 14, 2009, 04:33 PM
And there's no release date? It's just suppose to pop-up anytime? That mean's I have to find somethings to sell. I have an SB-600 with my D40 but I think I'll need that. Or I'll just wait until I have enough.

I read on Nikon Rumors that it is supposed to come out early May.

So thats a better choice than the D5000?

I would say no given that the D5000 has a new sensor and is a newer camera in general. It does lack a second LCD though. Someone who has a D200 could tell you more.

Krafty
Apr 14, 2009, 04:51 PM
I would like a second LCD, as I mentioned, so I wouldn't have to keep pressing the Info button see the readings.Here's your answer (put it in the cart):If only I could.

Paddrino
Apr 14, 2009, 05:40 PM
Keep in mind that the new 5000 does NOT have the auto focus motor. The only advantages it has is a better ISO performance than the d40 and d80, video mode (Although it is only 720p and not 1080p), swivel screen (not exactly a very useful feature), live view, and a few more pixels.

This camera really sits in between the 40 and the 90 as far as features go, and is really just a replacement of the d60.

If you really want to get into photography, I'm sticken with my original recommendation. D90 if you can wait (yes it is worth it). D80 if you absolutely can't wait or really NEED a new body NOW.

Krafty
Apr 14, 2009, 05:46 PM
D40 is still alive and functioning, so I don't think I need it immediately.

Poncho
Apr 14, 2009, 05:53 PM
Well I like the D40 so much I've now bought two, with a different lens on each. So, what do you think of that?

Krafty
Apr 14, 2009, 06:02 PM
Well I like the D40 so much I've now bought two, with a different lens on each. So, what do you think of that?If you want me to be honest I could really careless. I'm asking for help and advice, not what you do with your spare money. But congrats on my behalf.

Krafty
Apr 14, 2009, 06:57 PM
Here's the thing, maybe this will help:

I understand that the D90 is worth it over the D80, but in terms of money, $900, even $800 is going to be a while before I have THAT much spare.

The reason I said the D80 is cause I could sell the D40 body (hopefully around $400? It was $512 for the whole kit), get some extra cash, and get the D80 body. Learn the controls, so that way when comes time, I can sell the D80 (for however much it may be worth), and pay the difference for a D90 (or perhaps the body), and be on my way to knowing what I'm doing.

Is that a good deal? The guy emailed me back and now is asking $500 for a D80 body.

Lord of Sound
Apr 14, 2009, 08:42 PM
Personally I've never had d40 or d80, but I had a chance to use them both.
Major differences have already been pointed out in this tread above.
I've been using higher range, d100-d200-d300 and every time Nikon upgrades you can see that the change in electronics affects ISO, focus speed and shooting speed.
The rest is the combination of optics that you have available and your abilities as photographer.
To update or not, first question would be if you have money. If you do than I would advice going for d90. If you don't maybe you can consider saving up a little bit. d300 bodies are twice cheaper how than what I payed when it just came out.
In addition I would say that lenses are just as important as the body if not more, don't forget to consider switching from kit lenses, which costs at least another grand:(((

Krafty
Apr 15, 2009, 02:26 AM
To update or not, first question would be if you have money.I can get the money for a D80 body, but not a D90 at the moment.

leighonigar
Apr 15, 2009, 02:39 AM
You missed the point on the D200 someone posted. When you add it to cart you can see the real price, which seems to be $599 and therefore extremely cheap. The image quality will be better on a D5000, the D200 being more on a par with the D80, but that is not the whole story. The D200 has a much more solid body and control system, for a start.

Krafty
Apr 15, 2009, 02:40 AM
Yeah, my friend who does professional photoshooting has a D200, I'll have to look into that. So is it the online price only?

leighonigar
Apr 15, 2009, 02:43 AM
So is it the online price only?

It would be reasonable to assume so. This camera must be discontinued.

Krafty
Apr 15, 2009, 02:44 AM
It would be reasonable to assume so. This camera must be discontinued.

So how much do you think I could get for the D40 body? Around $400?

leighonigar
Apr 15, 2009, 02:50 AM
No idea, I don't live in the US and at any rate I don't think we're really allowed to discuss prices of things which someone might be looking to sell outside the marketplace.

Krafty
Apr 15, 2009, 02:51 AM
at any rate I don't think we're really allowed to discuss prices of things which someone might be looking to sell outside the marketplace.

Why?

leighonigar
Apr 15, 2009, 02:56 AM
Selling outside the Marketplace. All threads offering items for sale or trade, asking to buy items, or asking for pricing advice on items to be sold must be posted in the Marketplace forum, which is accessible only to qualified members and subject to additional rules; see the Marketplace Rules for details. Members not eligible for the Marketplace forum may not start threads elsewhere for such purposes.

Probably because they think it will result in the whole place filling up with ads. I know you're not trying to sell here but it's pricing advice, and they do moderate on this topic. Check ebay past prices, small ads etc.

Mr Ski 73
Apr 15, 2009, 02:57 AM
Have you thought about a Fuji S5Pro? I have an S5 and also a D40x which I use as a second body. The S5 has superior colour and also much better dynamic range. Additional advantage is that the lenses are compatible with both cameras :)

leighonigar
Apr 15, 2009, 03:00 AM
Have you thought about a Fuji S5Pro? I have an S5 and also a D40x which I use as a second body. The S5 has superior colour and also much better dynamic range. Additional advantage is that the lenses are compatible with both cameras :)

I've got one too, it is a great camera but the RAW files are immense (around 30mb) and it's fairly slow. I am also not sure that you could find one easily nowadays, it's another camera which is effectively (or genuinely) discontinued.

Mr Ski 73
Apr 15, 2009, 03:04 AM
I've got one too, it is a great camera but the RAW files are immense (around 30mb) and it's fairly slow. I am also not sure that you could find one easily nowadays, it's another camera which is effectively (or genuinely) discontinued.

Agree RAW files are big but it is the best way of preserving the fuji colour. I convert to TIFF which is actually even bigger before PP, depends how fussy you are I suppose.

leighonigar
Apr 15, 2009, 03:09 AM
Agree RAW files are big but it is the best way of preserving the fuji colour. I convert to TIFF which is actually even bigger before PP, depends how fussy you are I suppose.

It's nothing to do with preserving fuji colour, they just couldn't figure out how to compress the things, coupled with having two layers of pixels (so 12mp). It has been demonstrated that even lossy compressed RAW files from Nikon cannot be meaningfully distinguished from uncompressed RAW files. As Nikon and Fuji cameras work in the same colour space I thus conclude that we could compress the fuji RAWs and still have the same colour. Indeed, I believe HU3 has such a tool, but the camera just can't do it. It is a deficiency, not a feature.

Mr Ski 73
Apr 15, 2009, 03:18 AM
It's nothing to do with preserving fuji colour, they just couldn't figure out how to compress the things, coupled with having two layers of pixels (so 12mp). It has been demonstrated that even lossy compressed RAW files from Nikon cannot be meaningfully distinguished from uncompressed RAW files. As Nikon and Fuji cameras work in the same colour space I thus conclude that we could compress the fuji RAWs and still have the same colour. Indeed, I believe HU3 has such a tool, but the camera just can't do it. It is a deficiency, not a feature.

If you know of a way to compress the RAF file in HU into a format that is smaller than a 69MB TIFF which I can then PP in Photoshop then I would be very interested.

Krafty
Apr 15, 2009, 03:40 AM
Oh well, if I can, the I gotta find a way to rack up $200. I dont see where the sale ends.

leighonigar
Apr 15, 2009, 09:00 AM
Wait a second... don't you have a working D40 and a broken lens? Wouldn't you be better off just buying the 18-55 IS?

TenPoundMonkey
Apr 15, 2009, 09:38 AM
K-

I loved your response to the guy that has 2 D40s.. ;)

Anyway, if you CAN get $500 for your D40 then sell it NOW... used, they are only going for $275-$325 for the bodies.

I remember being in college and the money thing sucked, but you really need to wait it out. I had lots of stuff I wanted to upgrade during school, but i waited and within a year or two of finishing I had bought everything...

If the D40 works OK for you right now then I say stick with it, order a replacement 18-55 (maybe with VR) and call it a day for now. The only really tangible thing you'll get with the D80 is quicker access to all the settings and controls. That is nice of course, but not worth it in your situation. (right now)

FWIW

Clix Pix
Apr 15, 2009, 10:13 AM
I doubt very much that you could get more than a couple hundred bucks for your used body-only D40. Before you try to sell it, though, it would be important to have a camera dealer check it over to make sure that it's really that 18-55 lens that has been the problem and not the D40 itself.

The D200 selling at Best Buy is a real deal, definitely worth investigating, as the quality of that camera is excellent. However, that doesn't solve the problem of lenses...... You really need decent lenses, especially with that camera. If it were me I'd hang on to the D40 and buy a couple of good lenses, work with those, learn more about photography, continue saving money and then in a year or so when you know more what you would really need, buy whatever camera is available at that time.

Krafty
Apr 15, 2009, 10:37 AM
Lens it is, then.

I'll bring it to a shop and see about it, usually later on in the quarters I never have time to freelance shoot anyway. I kinda doubt that D200 will still be there by the time I even get the money but, such as life.

Thanks for all the help.

Wait a second... don't you have a working D40 and a broken lens? Correct.

Krafty
Apr 16, 2009, 12:00 PM
How are these for wide angel zoom?
http://www.amazon.com/35-80mm-F4-5-6D-NIKON-NIKKOR-ZOOM/dp/B000RF8BAO/ref=sr_1_1264?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1239901025&sr=1-1264
http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-28-80mm-3-5-5-6-Aspherical-Digital/dp/B00004ZD2Y/ref=sr_1_1228?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1239900825&sr=1-1228
http://www.amazon.com/ProMaster-AF80-210mm-f4-5-5-6-LD-Nikon/dp/B00091SE4Y/ref=sr_1_1386?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1239901131&sr=1-1386
http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-28-80mm-F3-5-5-6-Aspherical-Cameras/dp/B00005LE8R/ref=sr_1_1423?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1239901191&sr=1-1423

leighonigar
Apr 16, 2009, 12:46 PM
Angle, ANGLE.

Remember the 1.5x crop factor on the D40, therefore, none of those are wide angle zooms. Especially the 80-210, where did that even come from? I would think that these lenses will be worse than the 18-55 that you had, though, clearly the 80-210 is better than the 18-55 in that range.

The ones worth looking at are the Nikon 18-55 you had, the one with IS, the 18-70, to a lesser extent the 18-135, the 18-105 VR, the 16-85 and the 18-200mm. Of those the 18-70 or 18-105 VR are probably a good quality/price mix, though I have not actually tried the 18-105

Tamron, Sigma and Tokina make a bunch of lenses. The 17-70 Sigma is fine (I have one) and there are a number of 18-50mm f/2.8s which are ok to greater or lesser extents. REMEMBER that you need HSM/AF-S/whetever these people call it. I'm sure you can figure out which off brand lenses will work, so I'm not going to actually mention it (not least because I would have to trek through the wilderness of the internet to make sure I was right).

JKitterman
Apr 16, 2009, 01:07 PM
Go buy yourself a Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX lens and learn with that. It is inexpensive and will do autofocus on the D40. It will give you a better chance at understanding photography.

Krafty
Apr 16, 2009, 01:19 PM
How's this:
http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-18-50mm-3-5-5-6-Nikon-Digital/dp/B001GKPU9O/ref=sr_1_189?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1239905326&sr=1-189

Krafty
Apr 16, 2009, 01:20 PM
Go buy yourself a Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX lens and learn with that. It is inexpensive and will do autofocus on the D40. It will give you a better chance at understanding photography.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-35mm-AF-S-Digital-Cameras/dp/B001S2PPT0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1239905977&sr=1-1

I don't have $200 at the moment.

leighonigar
Apr 16, 2009, 01:24 PM
How's this:
http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-18-50mm-3-5-5-6-Nikon-Digital/dp/B001GKPU9O/ref=sr_1_189?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1239905326&sr=1-189

It seems to be HSM and therefore I guess it would work. Honestly, I'd get the nikon 18-55 in some variant, I think the later ones are better. All I've read about this lens has not been that great, but it's ok, and better (a more usable range) than the others you suggest.

Could you not find a used 18-70mm?

Krafty
Apr 16, 2009, 01:29 PM
Nope, checked CL and nothing. I did find this:
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/pho/1123526145.html

leighonigar
Apr 16, 2009, 01:37 PM
Nope, checked CL and nothing. I did find this:
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/pho/1123526145.html

http://www.adorama.com/NK1855DX2.html

HeadySpaghetti
Apr 16, 2009, 01:54 PM
deleted

cube
Apr 16, 2009, 01:55 PM
http://www.adorama.com/NK1855DX2.html

No, that has 1 year warranty by whomever.

I understand Adorama is a Nikon authorized dealer, so this should have 1+4 year warranty by Nikon (please check):

http://www.adorama.com/NK1855DX2U.html

JKitterman
Apr 16, 2009, 02:04 PM
If you were happy with the stock lens, get a replacement. Otherwise, save your money up

leighonigar
Apr 16, 2009, 02:43 PM
No, that has 1 year warranty by whomever.

I understand Adorama is a Nikon authorized dealer, so this should have 1+4 year warranty by Nikon (please check):

http://www.adorama.com/NK1855DX2U.html

Apologies, I did not see the US warranty version, my point was meant to be simply that you could buy a new one with some kind of warranty for the same money as that craigslist guy was asking, and therefore that that was a bad deal. Thanks for the correction.

Krafty
Apr 16, 2009, 03:57 PM
Apologies, I did not see the US warranty version, my point was meant to be simply that you could buy a new one with some kind of warranty for the same money as that craigslist guy was asking, and therefore that that was a bad deal. Thanks for the correction.

I see. I just got a call from someone who wants to buy one of my items on craiglist (lets hope shes not like the last dude who ditched me <_<), so I'll look into that.

Ive got a like new setup(3 months old, 10k shots)

Nikon D300
70-200mm f/2.8
17-54mm f/2.8

and top of the line lowepro backpack. Guess who's got two thumbs and doesnt give a crap? Me. Sorry to be an ass, but seriously, I'm asking for advice, I don't need every other person bragging about what they have.

HeadySpaghetti
Apr 17, 2009, 01:46 AM
deleted

leighonigar
Apr 17, 2009, 04:06 AM
Ouch... very well. just throwing it out there if you were wanting to make a good investment. no need to be rude. but i guess i shouldn't have came in here at all then.
want some advice do as everyone else is going to tell you
invest in glass.

What were you trying to do? Sell it to him/her? We've already established that this is not the place for that.

JKitterman
Apr 20, 2009, 11:36 AM
Krafty, what did you end up doing?

Krafty
Apr 24, 2009, 07:52 AM
Krafty, what did you end up doing?

Well, I still don't have enough money to really get anything, so I haven't done anything. But my friend fiddled around with my lens, and now the grinding noise is gone. It sounds normal, and AF better, so I probably won't have to buy another pair.

However, getting another body, if its a D90/D200, then thats going to take me years to come up with that kind of cash.

So basically, I've done nothing, but at least my stock lens seem to be fixed.

Krafty
Apr 25, 2009, 11:47 PM
A lady is offering $400 for her D80 body.

Ryan1524
Apr 26, 2009, 01:01 AM
That's not bad at all.

Krafty
Apr 27, 2009, 09:12 AM
That's not bad at all.

Except for the fact that she already sold it. FML.

kallisti
Apr 27, 2009, 10:10 AM
Ouch... very well. just throwing it out there if you were wanting to make a good investment. no need to be rude. but i guess i shouldn't have came in here at all then.
want some advice do as everyone else is going to tell you
invest in glass.

The OP is a college student who apparently can't afford a $200 35mm 1.8 prime out of pocket and is going to need a decent deal on her D40 to swing an upgrade to a $400-500 D80 or D200 body.

Yes, fast zooms would be nice and I'm sure she'd love them. From what's in the thread though, they aren't options. Not even close. Barring a bank robbery or hitting the lottery.

To the OP, since money appears to be VERY tight, I'd really do some soul-searching about why you need to upgrade at all. What would you really like to be able to do that is impossible with your current setup?

A fast prime might open up some options that are currently impossible for you. Either by allowing you to explore low-light shooting or by allowing you to play with depth-of-field. Primes can also help with learning about composition/perspective. Moving your feet (as opposed to a zoom ring) can be a valuable learning experience. I would go for the 35mm rather than the 50mm on a DX format camera like the D40. 50mm on a DX is a bit long for many applications (aside from portraits).

Saving up for the 35mm 1.8 might ultimately be the wisest choice even if it takes months and months. Just an opinion, take it for what it's worth.

cube
Apr 27, 2009, 11:29 AM
Except for the fact that she already sold it. FML.

Well, although that seems maket price, it doesn't look like a good deal when one can get a NEW D200 for $599.

Dave00
Apr 27, 2009, 04:29 PM
Replacing D40 with D80 is a bit of a lateral move. The lower resolution on the D40 can actually lead to clearer pictures (lower pixel density), faster shooting (less info to store), and it has a much faster flash sync. The inability to use older lenses? Minor issue for most people who use the D40. There are some advantages to the D80, but most are minor and not worth switching bodies - not really a "step up".

Krafty
Apr 27, 2009, 09:11 PM
Yeah, it's time to set priority first, so a body can wait I suppose. Right now I got a lot of things going on with class and my budget is running even lower (investing in a 11x17 printer seems nice by now).

I just thought a $400 deal on a D80 body wasn't too bad, but I wont die. I can hang on to this D40.

What would you really like to be able to do that is impossible with your current setup?Take larger photos.

he lower resolution on the D40 can actually lead to clearer pictures (lower pixel density)I need to work on that first before I upgrade. When I enlarge my photos they seem grainy. I'm trying to see how people get those large, crisp, photos, which I heard is hard to tell on the viewfinder whats REALLY in focus and whats not.

Krafty
May 4, 2009, 09:31 PM
So, I remember a good friend of mines kept her D80 under her bed in the bag collecting dust. So I talked to her and she let me take the body for $365. Would have liked to give her $400 but the D40 sale didn't go as planned with the douchebag I sold it too. But regardless, I'm a happy camper now.
Replacing D40 with D80 is a bit of a lateral move. The lower resolution on the D40 can actually lead to clearer pictures (lower pixel density), faster shooting (less info to store), and it has a much faster flash sync. The inability to use older lenses? Minor issue for most people who use the D40. There are some advantages to the D80, but most are minor and not worth switching bodies - not really a "step up".
I understand that, but its just the way I work with it. Like I said, I was able to cope with my friends D80 more than my D40. For some reason, the external display, and bigger body helps me in most cases. Once I start selling my services, I can aim for that D90, or whatever seems to be the next jump. But for right now, I need to get used to the controls for the SLR, and I'd rather do it with a comfortable body, than one that I can just deal with.

SchneiderMan
May 4, 2009, 10:26 PM
what kind of services will you be selling? :D

Krafty
May 4, 2009, 11:43 PM
what kind of services will you be selling? :DMe and my friends played paparazzi at a lawyers convention in December, so perhaps we should put more ads out. (It was fun being around a bunch of wealthy drunk adults)