Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ViciousShadow21

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
To your left or right
hey folks. i have raised this question to the moderator's and they said i should start a thread about it.

i know that we are supposed to be careful about sarcasm. we all use it anyways and sometimes it gets misinterpreted. what do you all think of having a uniform way of showing that we are being sarcastic. for example, typing in blue italics could be a way to show it (like this). it doesnt have to be this. more ideas would be good.

i think it could go a long way in stopping some of the fights that happen on the site. so many times i have read something like "calm down, i was just being sarcastic!!"

let me and the moderator's know what you think. and if anyone thinks they have a better idea other than blue italics post it here as well.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
I always try to use /sarcasm at the end of a sarcastic remark ... but sometimes it still gets interpreted the wrong way.

epyfa

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2009
http://127.0.0.1
I think the point of sarcasm is that you have to think twice to know if the person's sarcastic or not and sometimes you can't even be sure. That's the way sarcasm works.

ViciousShadow21

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
To your left or right
I think the point of sarcasm is that you have to think twice to know if the person's sarcastic or not and sometimes you can't even be sure. That's the way sarcasm works.

yea but that can really only apply to face to face conversations. you have to admit that it is tough online and that people take it the wrong way and the result can be a fight. this is what we want to avoid. having a way to mark it may take away from the "essence" of sarcasm a little bit, but hopefully it will stop some of the fights started on this forum.

theres no way to implement this on a forum and have 100% compliance

sorry this just seems like a wasted effort

it may be, but if we could get some of the members to catch on it will spread pretty fast. we will definitely need the backing of the moderators and possibly something in the rules.

also if there is a way to put it in the toolbar the same way we can select the B, I, and U it would be easier to implement.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
well hate to be a party pooper but i wont do it

if people cant sense when im being sarcastic then their loss as i dont really care in the end...its just a post and the people who reply are strangers to me so i dont care, i just dont

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
You can add huge neon lights to the blue text and 20 ft tall smilies, and some members are going to get their nuts strangled in their panties over another member's sarcastic remarks.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
I always try to use /sarcasm at the end of a sarcastic remark ... but sometimes it still gets interpreted the wrong way.
When I am being really sarcastic, I use the same /sarcasm at the end.

Usually, I use the ;) or ;) :p :D

Blue, sans serf, I'm in. :p
If that were the rules, then I would probably never be sarcastic. :eek:

well hate to be a party pooper but i wont do it

if people cant sense when im being sarcastic then their loss as i dont really care in the end...its just a post and the people who reply are strangers to me so i dont care, i just dont
Then why do you even post on, let alone read, MR?

Seems to me, if this is your attitude, your time might be spent better doing something else that is more productive to you. Just an idea.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
No. If I'm being sarcastic online and someone doesn't get it, I like to have the opportunity to snicker at their being a dumbass. If no one gets it, then it just proves I'm smarter than everyone else.

ViciousShadow21

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
To your left or right
wow, i didnt know people are this passionate about sarcasm. i just thought it would help avoid some of the misunderstandings that happen.

but remember, you wouldnt HAVE to use it but, i think it would still just be nice to have the option.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
This is a dumb discussion.:rolleyes:

mouse over the little "sarcastic" icon. If people don't understand that. Which they normally don't adding blue text will just make it more confusing.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
Interestingly enough...

The pseudo-XML element for sarcasm, example: <sarcasm>Yeah, that's really going to work.</sarcasm>, is actually defined in W3.org's HTML 5 spec...

Attachments

• Picture 8.png
    Picture 8.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 94

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
No. If I'm being sarcastic online and someone doesn't get it, I like to have the opportunity to snicker at their being a dumbass. If no one gets it, then it just proves I'm smarter than everyone else.

This idea wouldn't work I'm afraid because then how would people who post something wrong or offensive then be able to claim a few posts later that it was sarcasm or irony ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.