Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I've seen this used on another board I'm a part of, particularly blue text, and it works pretty well. At first, I thought it was stupid, but I've come to appreciate its usefulness. That forum isn't nearly as well moderated nor as civil as this one, so the suggestion of blue text helps. With the way this forum is going, I think it could help here as well.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
Sounds like an interesting idea in theory, but you know it would just create a slew of threads from newbies asking 'why are some people typing in blue??!!?!!??!?!!?!'

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
This idea will never work, because it discriminates against those who suffer total colorblindness, and those who are using grayscale monitors.

Now, was this post sarcastic, or not? You decide!

--Eric

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Great, now the PRSI section is really going to look like it is populated by a bunch of Fruit Loops.

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
In case you don't know what sarcasm is... :D

Sarcasm is a form of irony that is bitter or cutting, being intended to taunt its target. It is first recorded in English in The Shepheardes Calender in 1579:

Tom piper) An Ironicall [Sarcasmus], spoken in derision of these rude wits, whych make more account of a ryming rybaud, then of skill grounded vpon learning and iudgment.
—Edmund Spenser

It comes from the ancient Greek σαρκάζω (sarkazo) meaning 'to tear flesh' but the ancient Greek word for the rhetorical concept of taunting was instead χλευασμός (chleyasmόs). Sarcasm appears several times in the Old Testament, for example:

Lo, you see the man is mad; why then have you brought him to me? Do I lack madmen, that you have brought this fellow to play the madman in my presence?
—Achish, king of Gath, I Sam 21:10-15

Oscar Wilde, the great Irish playwright, poet and author of numerous short stories and one novel, also known for his biting wit, declared that
Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

Hostile, critical comments may be expressed in an ironic way such as saying "don't work too hard" to a lazy worker. The use of irony introduces an element of humour which may make the criticism seem more polite and less aggressive but understanding the subtlety of this usage requires second-order interpretation of the speaker's intentions. This sophisticated understanding is lacking in people with brain damage, dementia and autism, and this perception has been located by MRI in the right parahippocampal gyrus.

In certain Ethiopic languages, sarcasm is indicated with a sarcasm mark, a character that looks like a backwards question mark at the end of a sentence, similar to Alcanter de Brahm's proposed irony mark (؟). Subtitles, such as in Teletext, sometimes use an exclamation mark in brackets to mark sarcasm: (!).

ViciousShadow21

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
To your left or right
like i said before you dont have to use it. i thought it would just be nice to have the option. but if some ppl use it and some dont then its not really worth it i suppose.

it seems that you guys are opposed to it. i guess it's too hard for ppl to change. this site has gotten along fine with out it for all these years. it will continue to do so with or with out my suggestion. thanks for the input.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
The best way to deal with the issue of sarcasm in a forum is to be very careful when using it. We know that sarcasm doesn't come off very well in this format. The way not to deal with it is accusing the target of the sarcasm of not having a sense of humor. Very likely the target wasn't meant to see any humor in it in the first place.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Then why do you even post on, let alone read, MR?

Seems to me, if this is your attitude, your time might be spent better doing something else that is more productive to you. Just an idea.

because this forum is a wealth of knowledge maybe?

i dont need to explain to to you why i choose to participate on this forum. if people cant get when im sarcastic at times, i dont care and i certainly wont go out of my way to make my sarcasm obvious

thankfully, most posts i make and reply too outside of prsi dont have too much sarcasm

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
because this forum is a wealth of knowledge maybe?
That it is. No disagreement there.

i dont need to explain to to you why i choose to participate on this forum.
Never said that you did.

I'm just wondering why you don't care what other people think or perceive about your posts. I figure that the purpose of posting here was communicating ideas with each other. The clearer that we can do that, sarcastic or not, the better I would think.

allmIne

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2008
United Kingdom
I was gonna write a sarcastic response, but figured I needed to get my point across.

With respect, this idea not good. Sarcastic comments, as mentioned above, are great because they can be funny, unexpected, slightly ambiguous, whatever. Italicising and making them blue is a bit... silly.

It's not my fault some board members aren't as capable as others in this regard.

I appreciate what you're trying to do, but I don't think anything can be done about it. And I don't think anything should be done about it.

Edit: Honourable mentions to Eric5h5 for pointing out what I also tried to say, and to TuffLoveJimmy for making me laugh!

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
but if some ppl use it and some dont then its not really worth it i suppose.

I think you hit on the main problem here. Macrumors is, to my knowledge, the largest forum community in the niche. There are 300k+ registered users. Trying to standardize a format for "sarcasm" will never get to the point where if someone makes a pointed remark and forgets to format it, people will jump all over them. Most of the time the irony is realized.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
With respect, this idea not good. Sarcastic comments, as mentioned above, are great because they can be funny, unexpected, slightly ambiguous, whatever. Italicising and making them blue is a bit... silly.

Yes the proposed "solution" is a bit silly, but where your statement fails is in an understanding of the most common use of sarcasm, which is for mockery. Mockery, like other low forms of discourse, is not a legitimate form of discussion. Sarcastic comments are nearly always ad hominem attacks, unless they are offered in a friendly, joking manner -- which is rare.

It's not my fault some board members aren't as capable as others in this regard.

Do you seriously believe this?

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
I think it should be more subtle than changing the colour, how about:

!!!SARCASM INCOMING, DO NOT TAKE THIS SERIOUSLY!!!

This thread serves a purpose and I see that.

!!!SARCASM OVER, EVERYTHING AFTER THIS IS SERIOUS!!!

1237922511255.jpg

Better?

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
:rolleyes:

mouse over the little "sarcastic" icon. If people don't understand that. Which they normally don't adding blue text will just make it more confusing.

I agree. Each time I imply something as being sarcastic, I usually use the "rolleyes" icon. I think that usually gets the point across.

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
if you can't take a joke - why would the person joking around get introuble, and not you?

that's my question for the day

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Sounds like an interesting idea in theory, but you know it would just create a slew of threads from newbies asking 'why are some people typing in blue??!!?!!??!?!!?!'

I'm not sure something like this would catch on until you could get just about the whole internet "community" in on it - for now, most people at least get the idea of emoticons, a handful understand stuff like </sarcasm>, but if this forum is the only one using blue text to mean sarcasm it's gonna cause some confusion.

Eanair

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2009
I thought that's what this emoticon was for?

:rolleyes:

The rollover text is "Roll Eyes (Sarcastic)"

EDIT: I am in the lazy camp though. Clicking on the emoticon face seems to be much easier/faster than highlighting your sarcastic text and choosing the text color blue from the drop down box. Even if you wrote color="blue" and /color, that's still waaay too many keystrokes, hehe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.