PDA

View Full Version : Sex Site Settles with VeriSign

Sparky's
Apr 20, 2004, 07:46 PM
Cute article, but the long term ramifications are interesting.

The six-year battle over one of the Internet's most highly desired domain names is over for now.

Founder and CEO of Sex.com Gary Kremen said he has settled his complaint with VeriSign (Quote, Chart) and its Network Solutions domain registrar division for an undisclosed amount. Insiders say the deal was sealed at around $15 million.

http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/3343141

rainman::|:|
Apr 20, 2004, 08:32 PM
this is a very important day in the legal history of the internet. bravo to the court on this one.

paul

Dippo
Apr 20, 2004, 09:18 PM
this is a very important day in the legal history of the internet. bravo to the court on this one.

paul

Yeap, they just let someone steal this guys domain, and then wouldn't do anything to correct it. What a bunch of weasels.

wdlove
Apr 20, 2004, 09:24 PM
I may disagree with the actual business use of Sex.com. Still glad that a legal principal was upheld.

rainman::|:|
Apr 20, 2004, 10:38 PM
i remember a few years back, the good ol' boys over at godhatesfags.com let the domain expire for a few hours, and the group hatewatch hijacked it, redirecting it to 'godlovesfags.com'. It was purely for fun, they gave it back within a day or two, which I was upset about. but in hindsight, the legal basis here is more important than politics, i wonder how this will affect the reregistration process... they may have to give you a grace period or something... it would be nice if that got easier, especially if cybersquatting was illegal...

paul

MongoTheGeek
Apr 21, 2004, 07:46 AM
i remember a few years back, the good ol' boys over at godhatesfags.com let the domain expire for a few hours, and the group hatewatch hijacked it, redirecting it to 'godlovesfags.com'. It was purely for fun, they gave it back within a day or two, which I was upset about. but in hindsight, the legal basis here is more important than politics, i wonder how this will affect the reregistration process... they may have to give you a grace period or something... it would be nice if that got easier, especially if cybersquatting was illegal...

paul

I don't think they should have given it back or had to give it back.

I miss the frontier days of the internet before the squatting. I think though that squatting should be allowed. The domain is yours if you buy it. Maybe there should be rules on abandonment. It should be treated like real estate.

Its funny really how people are willing to type in long and complex names to get someplace.

Dippo
Apr 21, 2004, 07:59 AM
I don't think they should have given it back or had to give it back.

I sure Paul would know, but I am pretty sure that they didn't "have" to give it back.