PDA

View Full Version : $29 charge to replace earphones that are within the 1 year warranty?

dkh587
Apr 14, 2009, 01:58 AM
I've searched and searched, and haven't found anything with my exact question or anything, so sorry if I missed it.

Well, my earphones that came with my classic that I got back in November are starting to sound like crap. I know from using my warranty before, that they'll exchange your earphones for free under warranty, so I go to the site, and go through the warranty support thing or whatever, where you enter your serial # and tell them what's wrong and what you're wanting fixed. So, I fill out everything, state what's wrong, and get to the service order, and it talks about the $29 no return penalty, which is fine, I will be sending in my headphones, and won't have to worry about being charged. I continue on and submit the order. Blindly and idiotically, I didn't read EVERYTHING, and I got charged $29 to my credit card. Is this correct? I thought the $29 was for if you didn't return the defective earphones? I'm confused and I feel like a dummy. It's late and I have ot be somewhere at 4AM, so take it easy on me! Any help is appreciated!:(

hexonxonx
Apr 14, 2009, 02:56 AM
I would just go to the Apple store. The $29 will be returned when you return the old ones.

dkh587
Apr 14, 2009, 03:45 AM
I would just go to the Apple store. The $29 will be returned when you return the old ones.

I normally would for hardware issues with my iPod and Macbook, but it is an hour away and I can't justify that long of a trip for some headphones. As long as the $29 is refunded, that's fine. I was just a little confused, because I don't remember Apple charging the credit card the last time I used the warranty for headphone replacement.

miles01110
Apr 14, 2009, 04:52 AM
You should call them. I have never been charged "in advance" for warranty returns...

ninjadex
Apr 14, 2009, 05:43 AM
This is usually seen when using a debit card rather than a credit card.

bozz2006
Apr 14, 2009, 07:15 AM
sounds weird. I think it's a screw-up. call 1800-MY-APPLE

applelvr22
Apr 14, 2009, 10:00 AM
Definitely call. Don't go to your Apple Store, I don't think they have access to the system to be able to refund your credit card.

sbking
Apr 14, 2009, 10:10 AM
Are you actually paying 30 bucks to repair the BUNDLED apple earphones?

aristobrat
Apr 14, 2009, 10:14 AM
True. Some banks will show a pre-auth as an actual charge when using a debit card. After a few days, it drops off (per the banks policy).

dkh587, any chance you used a debit card this time?

dkh587
Apr 15, 2009, 12:03 AM
You should call them. I have never been charged "in advance" for warranty returns...

According to 2 different Apple reps, that is what happened. It is a "hold" and once the defective headphones are returned, then it is removed.

I used my Mastercard. A real one, not a debit mastercard.

True. Some banks will show a pre-auth as an actual charge when using a debit card. After a few days, it drops off (per the banks policy).

dkh587, any chance you used a debit card this time?

Mastercard.:cool:

alphaod
Apr 15, 2009, 01:25 AM
The $29 is a hold, so they know you have the money. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

lilkoolaidman
Apr 16, 2009, 10:38 PM
If you get ur money back, just by a pair of Sennheiser CX300s don't bother with the free earbuds(which are $30 otherwise). <wait, that might be what the charge is see if they send you new earbuds, if not get the CX300s they're also $30 and far better.