PDA

View Full Version : iTunes: Apple and Disney Soundtracks

MacRumors
Apr 21, 2004, 02:40 PM
Apple announced today (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2004/apr/21disney.html) that the catalog of Walt Disney Records, including soundtracks from Disney's animated files are now available exclusively on the iTunes Music Store through September 30th.

“We are proud to offer a way for customers to easily own the classic and contemporary Disney music they know and love,” said David Agnew, executive vice president and general manager of the Buena Vista Music Group (BVMG), who oversees Walt Disney Records. “We chose to deliver our digital music catalog exclusively on iTunes because it is the leading global online music store.”

arn
Apr 21, 2004, 02:44 PM
not sure what happens after Sept 30th...

arn

brhmac
Apr 21, 2004, 02:46 PM
Have some Pepsi iTunes caps to cash in.

Excellent.

Some of those Disney songs are quite good. :o

Uh, did I admit that publicly?

Mudbug
Apr 21, 2004, 02:48 PM

arn

as with other Disney stuff, it gets "Vaulted" and will be unavailable for sale/release for a number of years. This is the same problem that happens with quiet a few of their movies - where you want to buy a copy, and simply can't until it becomes "rereleased" from Disney.

I assume it will just be pulled from the iTMS, the same as a few other songs have had happen - "Channel Surfing" by FeatureCast being one that comes to mind.

Ja Di ksw
Apr 21, 2004, 02:50 PM
as with other Disney stuff, it gets "Vaulted" and will be unavailable for sale/release for a number of years. This is the same problem that happens with quiet a few of their movies - where you want to buy a copy, and simply can't until it becomes "rereleased" from Disney.

I always thought that was an annoying concept, but it always got people like my mother to run out and buy it when they "released." Stupid Disney, I'm glad Pixar moved away from them.

Llywelyn
Apr 21, 2004, 02:53 PM
Does it mean that they will be unavailable after September 30th, or that they will only be exclusive until Sept 30th?

Flowbee
Apr 21, 2004, 02:55 PM
I assume it will just be pulled from the iTMS, the same as a few other songs have had happen - "Channel Surfing" by FeatureCast being one that comes to mind.

Or it is no longer 'exclusive' to the iTMS after the 30th and shows up on other online download stores.

All in all, this is pretty surprising given the bad blood between Jobs and Eisner these days.

yoda13
Apr 21, 2004, 02:57 PM
I am glad to see this, don't know if I will buy any, but I figured after the break down of negotiations between Disney and Pixar, that would affect other relationships between Disney and anyone that was involved with Steve :cool: Glad this is not the case.

SuperChuck
Apr 21, 2004, 02:58 PM
Either there were no hard feelings after the Pixar deal fell apart, or perhaps given Eisner's uncomfortable position since said deal fell apart, the bottom line is worth more than his pride. I'm guessing the latter.

baby duck monge
Apr 21, 2004, 02:59 PM
i would have to agree that disney's habit of releasing things and then taking them away is pretty dumb, but i am happy to see anything new get added to the iTMS, especially something as high-profile as disney soundtracks.

Flowbee
Wow... Disney even has its own genre on the iTMS now!!

MacFocus
exclusively on iTunes because it is the leading global online music store.

Am I missing something here?

Global? :confused:

Here in the Netherlands there's no such thing as iTunes store where I can actually buy stuff. To be precise, there is (as we all know) only an american store! :mad:

wdw_
Apr 21, 2004, 03:01 PM
NO!!! They don't have the Oliver and Company soundtrack!!!!:mad: That movie pwnz.

pkradd
Apr 21, 2004, 03:04 PM
“We chose to deliver our digital music catalog exclusively on iTunes because it is the leading global online music store.”

Maybe he knows something we don't know? When the deal is over things turn back into pumpkins and mice. You knew that didn't you?

vvedge
Apr 21, 2004, 03:04 PM
Because its a partial album ("Beyond The Sea" by Robbie Williams was left off"), you'd have to buy the 39 tracks (most of them short) individually.. $39!!!

Glad I didnt wait for it to end up on iTunes.

Awimoway
Apr 21, 2004, 03:12 PM

arn

That's when somebody tells Eisner that Apple is selling Disney music. :p

Billy_ca
Apr 21, 2004, 03:14 PM
This is so cool.

I hope Dumbo is available. One of my favorite songs is "Have you ever seen an elephant fly?" (if that's what it's called...)

network23
Apr 21, 2004, 03:15 PM
As far as I know, Disney does not vault their soundtracks. My bet is that after September 30th, Disney soundtrack tunes will be available on other online stores as well.

blueBomber
Apr 21, 2004, 03:24 PM
Just in time for me to use up the last 15 or so Pepsi caps I have kicking around :D

Jerry Spoon
Apr 21, 2004, 03:24 PM
As far as I know, Disney does not vault their soundtracks. My bet is that after September 30th, Disney soundtrack tunes will be available on other online stores as well.

Agreed.
And as far as vaulting their movies is concerned, I always thought it was a pretty smart marketing idea. As a new parent though, I can't say I enjoy buying a dvd that my kid probably won't watch for a couple of years. But as far as getting the most bang for your marketing buck and getting a nice quick (relatively) burst of sales, I think it's a smart move.

SiliconAddict
Apr 21, 2004, 03:33 PM
Bring on the people who will bitch that "How could Apple lower themselves to supporting the evil Disney empire." :rolleyes:

Personally this is great. There are some Disney movies, both non-animated and animated, that I really want to pick up.

Llywelyn
Apr 21, 2004, 03:38 PM
Agreed.
And as far as vaulting their movies is concerned, I always thought it was a pretty smart marketing idea. As a new parent though, I can't say I enjoy buying a dvd that my kid probably won't watch for a couple of years. But as far as getting the most bang for your marketing buck and getting a nice quick (relatively) burst of sales, I think it's a smart move.

I've said before that I think Disney's vaulting movies makes a lot of marketing sense but I am not sure how much business sense it makes--you gain the sales of the people who go "Oh! A new release!" but you lose the sales of people who think "You know, I would really like to get _____" and then go out and purchase it.

I am not convinced that the latter group is sufficiently smaller than the former group to make up for savings in marketing even over a long period of time (where it does make sense).

Of course, I'm biased, I fall in the latter group :D

MacFan782040
Apr 21, 2004, 03:40 PM
Nice!! I'm suprised this happened though, with the recient rocky times between Steve Jobs at Pixar and Michael Eisinger at Disney. But I was waiting for the Finding Nemo CD to come out. :D

wordmunger
Apr 21, 2004, 03:43 PM
This is so cool.

I hope Dumbo is available. One of my favorite songs is "Have you ever seen an elephant fly?" (if that's what it's called...)
It's there, but it's "album only," like most of the most popular Disney songs. I was going to sit down with my daughter and build a custom "best of" Disney CD, but it's simply impossible. All the good songs are "album only."

srobert
Apr 21, 2004, 03:46 PM
That means I'll be able to purchase that cool Pirate of the Caribbean theme song? Well, at least not until iTMS is out. But this can only be a good thing for iTMS.

MacFan25
Apr 21, 2004, 03:47 PM
This is only good news for iTunes, as it just confirms that iTunes is the leader in legal digital music downloads.

He said, "leading global online music store". And before anyone says something ;) , I doubt this really confirms an international iTunes store is coming, as he probably just meant it is the leading music store in the world.

Llywelyn
Apr 21, 2004, 03:51 PM
It's there, but it's "album only," like most of the most popular Disney songs. I was going to sit down with my daughter and build a custom "best of" Disney CD, but it's simply impossible. All the good songs are "album only."

Unless I am missing something, none of the ones on Dumbo are Album Only.

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=6911674&selectedItemId=6911660

geerlingguy
Apr 21, 2004, 03:58 PM
I remember Disney and Microsoft announcing a deal with digital video online distribution a while back... I wonder why Disney didn't decide to release their songs on a site using WMA (I thought MS said WMA was better!)..

Instead, Disney favors Apple's proprietary format ;)

the_mole1314
Apr 21, 2004, 04:04 PM
The Bells of Notre Dame, now thats one kick ass song, very powerfull. Frankly, I would love to have Disney attraction soundtracks up here, like The Haunted Mansion and Mission:Space (that has some good music).

MCCFR
Apr 21, 2004, 04:09 PM
I remember Disney and Microsoft announcing a deal with digital video online distribution a while back... I wonder why Disney didn't decide to release their songs on a site using WMA (I thought MS said WMA was better!)..

Instead, Disney favors Apple's proprietary format ;)

Yes, that's more than a little ironic, isn't it?

It makes you wonder if Eisner has authorised a partial retreat for the MouseHouse from an MS bias as a way of a) showing some negotiating room to Jobs and b) shoring up his increasingly tenuous position.

Still good to see a wholesale push to catch the K-6 subset of the K-12 marketplace; some of the older end of that K-6 market must be a major target for iPod mini sales for the holiday season.

latergator116
Apr 21, 2004, 04:11 PM
"You'll Be in My Heart" from Tarzan and "You've Got a Firend in Me" from Toy Story - both great songs.

chasingapple
Apr 21, 2004, 04:17 PM
Well, this is a HUGE deal for me and my family. We have a 20 month old daughter and WOW is she getting some presents right now! First download was Disney Childrens Favorite Songs Volume #1, 25 songs that WE ALL grew up with and only $6.99 for the full album, this rocks. When you have kids Disney is everywhere, this helps bring it into our home and now it is easy to share the same Disney songs with my daughter that I myself grew up to, and I am 31 years old ;)

Cheers Disney and Apple!

jasonbw
Apr 21, 2004, 04:18 PM
hmm....was kinda half-hoping to see the soundtrack to Tron in there somewhere. oh well.

Awimoway
Apr 21, 2004, 04:28 PM
Alice in Wonderland is a "partial album" with 22 tracks. So you have to pay $22 to get the album? Real nice. :rolleyes:

MetallicPenguin
Apr 21, 2004, 05:05 PM
LION KING

This Land, middle of that song, best. Get it

kdavis
Apr 21, 2004, 05:15 PM
Does anyone else find it odd that it costs you nearly $40 to buy the Finding Nemo soundtrack on iTunes? That PLUS they withhold, it appears, a single track so that $40 STILL doesn't buy you the entire SINGLE DISC album (which is only $13.99 on Amazon, BTW).

miradu
Apr 21, 2004, 05:16 PM
Seriously - this was THE missing genre of music for me on iTunes.. And It's not just the animation - I was forced to download off the kazaa the pirates of the carribiann soundtrack when itunes didnt' have it - now it's a number one seller on itunes. And what's a better use of 99 cents, than to buy classic disney tunes from the lion king, little mermaid etc.. Must restrain oneself...

And Disney also is pricing things appropriatly - the little mermaid album, has 20 songs for $9.99 - that's the way i like it.

Ahh, but in a bad twist of fate, there are some album only songs that are less than the old practice of 7:30: see: Aladdin - http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=6656691 It looks to be good, 21 songs for $10, but the songs done by robin williams are ONLY available by album - contract problems?

danielfe
Apr 21, 2004, 05:19 PM
I was wondering why there was no Disney music on there, even with the Jobs/Eisner relationship.

It's great that its finally on there.

rainman::|:|
Apr 21, 2004, 05:32 PM
goddamn it! now i can't get "prince ali" out of my head! i just got it out of my head from the last time i saw aladdin, 7 years ago!

interesting move. disney is still going to hell in a handbasket.

paul

tex210
Apr 21, 2004, 05:45 PM
Disney just rid itself of the ABC executives. It must be related., Apple doing television editing equipment for cheap and all. MS will probably still get the video aspect of the business, then the audio on the 30th. I hope people get some sense and stop using MS for everything.

asim
Apr 21, 2004, 05:54 PM
disney probably wants a higher share of the royalty, and apple may be willing to put up with it because

1- this will possibly reach new audiences to start buying online music
2- is important if they want to sell ipods to kids
3- sets up a relationship which will be expanded upon in a few years when there is an online movie store. the online movie store that gets disney will have a huge advantage over other online movie stores.

i bet on sept 30 disney has the option of: withdrawing from online audio sales (if they don't like the experiment), keeping an exclusive deal with apple (with a special royalty arrangement), work with multiple online music stores (standard royalty arrangements), or move completely to another music store (with special royalty arrangements that someone, maybe micro$oft, would offer them).

afc

~Shard~
Apr 21, 2004, 05:56 PM

Well, Disney call tell Eisner about it if they want to, however I doubt he'll be in the position to do much about it since since he'll be in the Unemployment Office at the time... :cool:

~Shard~
Apr 21, 2004, 05:59 PM
Sounds like some of these "partial albums" are quite the rip-off. See, it's when stupid companies like Disney do stupid things like that, that I would feel justified in (illegally) downloading the songs for free. $22 and $39 for partial albums?! I think not...

wordmunger
Apr 21, 2004, 06:01 PM
Unless I am missing something, none of the ones on Dumbo are Album Only.

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=6911674&selectedItemId=6911660
That's very strange... I swear it was before--in fact, a lot of the songs that were "album only" seem to have been changed. Either that or I was hallucinating earlier today. I'm not complaining, but it's strange. You still can't get "Prince Ali" from Aladdin, though.

crees!
Apr 21, 2004, 06:16 PM

Like Flight Of The Navigator on DVD (movie not soundtrack)! Bastage! :mad:

Krizoitz
Apr 21, 2004, 06:19 PM
The Bells of Notre Dame, now thats one kick ass song, very powerfull. Frankly, I would love to have Disney attraction soundtracks up here, like The Haunted Mansion and Mission:Space (that has some good music).

There is an official CD that you can get at the Disneyland parks that has many of the ride music, its tough to get outside the park although I have found a couple places that have it for a little expensive $24 at the place below

http://www.mouseshoppe.com/product.cfm?ProductID=1630

rohanputter
Apr 21, 2004, 06:34 PM
In agreement with someone else who posted, sad to see another idiot with the perception that the US = Global. Then again, Apple's business strategy seems to follow similar lines of thought too!

Koodauw
Apr 21, 2004, 07:34 PM
Does this really help out Apple though. I can see along the lines of most complete music store means more people using it meaning more iPods, but I don't see a one to one corilation between Disney Music and iPods sales. If I am the average parent, I would not be buying an iPod for my kid to listen to Disney music on.

If I was Apple I would of stuck it to Eisner, and then done the deal once he was gone. (and that Big Pixar deal was in place)...although this is prob not the brightest idea.

xStep
Apr 21, 2004, 07:43 PM

According to Amazon, there is good news, DVD Release Date: June 1, 2004.
:D

~Shard~
Apr 21, 2004, 07:59 PM

Geez, I forgot about that movie! I saw that in the theater when it initially came out and haven't seen it since! Might be a renter for old times' sake... ;)

the_mole1314
Apr 21, 2004, 08:00 PM
Well, some people might want to read this: http://jimhillmedia.com/main/index.htm

Also, I bet the reason why most of the alblums are partial is due to licensing issues because, as an example, the one Nemo track missing is that Under the Sea one in the end credits. Disney probably only had the rights to sell it in the CD now, but will get it on iTunes soon. Just hold on guys.

coolfactor
Apr 21, 2004, 08:05 PM

Album only? Maybe I'm missing something because I can't yet use the iTMS, but I see both "Buy Song" and "Buy Album" buttons. Isn't that what you are referring to?

simply258
Apr 21, 2004, 08:13 PM
Maybe Oct. 1st is when iTMS Europe launches.

inkswamp
Apr 21, 2004, 08:31 PM
Agreed.
And as far as vaulting their movies is concerned, I always thought it was a pretty smart marketing idea. As a new parent though, I can't say I enjoy buying a dvd that my kid probably won't watch for a couple of years.

They've lost sales from me as a result of this practice. There have been movies that were off the market for this reason and I simply went out and tracked down a used copy for my daughter. Good enough, and Disney missed out on a sale. I think it's a dumb practice and one that I now react negatively to. I really wanted to buy Toy Story and was about to do it when Disney announced that it was going away. I didn't buy it because of that. I still have them on video so screw Disney and their high-pressure crap. I'll buy a movie because I want it, not because I'm being strong-armed into it and now I'm keeping my eyes open for a used DVD of it. And Disney earns $0 when I buy it used. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

mvc
Apr 21, 2004, 08:53 PM
Oh Great, now all the critics can say that iTMS is a Mickey Mouse outfit! ;)

ingenious
Apr 21, 2004, 08:58 PM
Or it is no longer 'exclusive' to the iTMS after the 30th and shows up on other online download stores.

All in all, this is pretty surprising given the bad blood between Jobs and Eisner these days.

didnt eisner get booted?

chameeeleon
Apr 21, 2004, 09:32 PM
Glaringly missing from the Disney CDs: Oliver and Company (already mentioned by someone, I think), Hercules and, the thing that disappointed me the most: THE LION KING BROADWAY. If you're going to add crap like "The Little Mermaid II", why leave out quality stuff like this. Sure, licensing blah blah, but...

bbarnhart
Apr 21, 2004, 10:01 PM
My 5 1/2 year old daughter listens to a lot of music. Lots of Disney soundtracks, Kids Pop and the like. I enjoy most of the soundtracks. One soundtrack in particular that I like is Tarzan. It's a great CD. And, even though it's not a Disney soundtrack, the CD Spirit: Stallion Of The Cimerron is not only a great CD, but a good movie as well.

I don't know why anyone would think this is negative news.

Flowbee
Apr 21, 2004, 10:17 PM
didnt eisner get booted?

Just as Chairman of Disney's board. He's still the CEO.

jeffgarden
Apr 21, 2004, 11:43 PM
they should get Fantasia on there. most of the songs from both Fantasia's are already in the store but they should do a Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 soundtrack

stoid
Apr 21, 2004, 11:47 PM

Here in the Netherlands there's no such thing as iTunes store where I can actually buy stuff. To be precise, there is (as we all know) only an american store! :mad:

When you think about it, iTMS is the largest provider of online digital music anywhere in the world. So, from a global standpoint Apple's iTMS is the largest store. iTMS is largest global store, even though it doesn't service but one area of the globe.

starboard
Apr 22, 2004, 12:12 AM
Apple announced today (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2004/apr/21disney.html) that the catalog of Walt Disney Records, including soundtracks from Disney's animated files are now available exclusively on the iTunes Music Store through September 30th.

um, "animated files?" :)

but seriously, I hate to admit that I like a few of the songs from their films. I might spend some pepsi credits. Before now, I'd have had to buy entire CDs to get the songs I wanted, and I've resisted thus far. Now I can get them.

iindigo
Apr 22, 2004, 12:50 AM
"You'll Be in My Heart" from Tarzan and "You've Got a Firend in Me" from Toy Story - both great songs. Yeah you got that right... Personally I'm in love with the entire Tarzan sound track - Phil Collins done an excellent job on it.

MacFocus
Apr 22, 2004, 02:14 AM
When you think about it, iTMS is the largest provider of online digital music anywhere in the world. So, from a global standpoint Apple's iTMS is the largest store. iTMS is largest global store, even though it doesn't service but one area of the globe.

You're probably right, but it still sucks :mad: And yes I know, it isn't Apples fault. But in the Netherlands, when you are a Mac user, you are soo lost between the 99,99% Windows users. I want to USE my Mac...

For all the american dsiney soundtrack lovers out there.

Have fun with it ;)

lo__ol
Apr 22, 2004, 03:29 AM
According to iTunes music store to purchase music you need an address within the US. That must have convinced Disney when they searched for global distribution. :)

Windowlicker
Apr 22, 2004, 05:17 AM
According to iTunes music store to purchase music you need an address within the US. That must have convinced Disney when they searched for global distribution. :)

haha! anyway I think this is a good thing.. the music in disney movies aren't some b-class (or even c-class) crap. i can't think of many other animation movies (made for children) with so good music. I may not like it that much myself, but I don't dislike it either. all in all it's good movie music and it's good to have the itms grow (even exclusively;).

applefans
Apr 22, 2004, 06:11 AM

That's the problem of lots of American, they probably think that American = Global! :D

SilentPanda
Apr 22, 2004, 07:25 AM

I think this is coming out in June... it's definitely coming out this year though! I'm pretty excited for it myself.

geerlingguy
Apr 22, 2004, 10:42 AM
hmm....was kinda half-hoping to see the soundtrack to Tron in there somewhere. oh well.

I would spend whatever they asked for that album! :)

btw: what ever happened to the 2nd Tron movie (tron 2004 or something like that... it was on my special edition Tron DVD)?

SiliconAddict
Apr 22, 2004, 10:51 AM
I would spend whatever they asked for that album! :)

btw: what ever happened to the 2nd Tron movie (tron 2004 or something like that... it was on my special edition Tron DVD)?

Tron 2.0 (Read: Tron two point oh.) is still in the works. Disney was gauging interest in a new Tron movie through the release of its game. I thought I heard that sales of the game was impressive enough that they are going ahead with the project release in the 2005-2006 timeframe.

uzombie
Apr 22, 2004, 11:07 AM
C'mon people. Start emailing your congress and get them to slam the record companies. And try the FTC while your at it.

There are articles about the studios jacking up the prices for online music to $2.50 a song! That is more than a CD if you figure in 8 -10 tracks average!

This smells of organized price fixing. I bet they are upset that Apple and others are taking away their greed-er profits.

iTunes and iTMS gives us a chance to buy and listen to what WE want to, WHEN we want to (if its available).

Please, will folks pass this on and get involved.

Sorry for the rant.

NOV
Apr 22, 2004, 11:26 AM
This is what I've been reading today, quite shocking if this becomes reality:

iTunes 'could cost $2.49 per song'
By Macworld staff
The major labels are looking at increasing the price of iTunes Music Store downloads to as much as $2.49 – with experts predicting the move could kill the service.

The US record industry believe iTunes song are too cheap, and the five top labels (Universal Music Group, EMI, BMG, Sony and Warner Music) are discussing a price hike ranging from $1.25 to $2.49 per song.

The Washington Square News notes: "At that price, downloading music will become far more expensive than buying CDs, which would practically destroy the online music market.

"This is counter to everything the record companies should be doing. If anything, they should be cutting prices to make it more attractive to download music legally. Instead, this move will push online music junkies back into the world of file sharing. After all, who wants to pay more for less?

"If the price hike happens it would be more logical to buy a CD. You might pay a couple bucks more, but that extra money buys pretty packaging, better sound quality, often some sort of video extra and, significantly, use unrestricted by Digital Rights Management.

"The record industry doesn't understand that the reason people flocked to free downloading services is because music simply costs too much."

This is so absurd....A lot of people will turn to P2P if this becomes reality.... :(

jasonbw
Apr 22, 2004, 01:15 PM
[QUOTE=geerlingguy]I would spend whatever they asked for that album! :)

looks like you may have too, they re-released it with the 20th dvd and i guess its out of print already:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/offer-listing/B00005V8J7//102-6311849-1717767?condition=all

Wendycarlos.com links to the disney online store, and its unavailable.

rwclark
Apr 22, 2004, 08:54 PM
I doubt Disney will "vault" their online music after September 30th. As far as I know, they only do this with their videos and DVDs, but not their soundtracks, though I could be wrong. I think it's an utterly ridiculous practice and is probably a big part of why I don't own any Disney DVDs.

ClimbingTheLog
Apr 23, 2004, 03:40 PM

Hey, he's busy - still trying to figure out what ripping a CD means...

Actually I have a nickel that says Eisner won't be at Disney in September.

ClimbingTheLog
Apr 23, 2004, 03:59 PM
That's the problem of lots of American, they probably think that American = Global! :D

Patience...we're not there yet. :D

LimeiBook86
Nov 5, 2004, 02:56 PM
I was searching on iTunes for some Disney tracks and I thought why not search for some tracks. I thought of a song from the movie "Dumbo", but couldn't remember the title so I wanted to hear it for myself. Now I swear I saw the album on there before but now I can't find it. Maybe Disney is taking the tracks away like they did with the DVDs (which IMHO is VERY stupid)...

Or maybe Dumbo just flew away... :rolleyes: :p

timman
Nov 6, 2004, 04:19 PM
I seem to remember that the Disney songs on Itunes was a limited time deal. I think it was due to end in the September time-frame. Disney does this with their home video products (puts them out for a limited time - so they can make a big deal out of the re-release). Maybe they are going to attempt the same thing with their music on Itunes. I'm not a marketing expert but I don't think this is the best product strategy for music.

Steve