PDA

View Full Version : Apple "restructuring" customer service

medea
Apr 22, 2004, 02:57 PM
So Apple called me today about my recent purchase, I forget the gentlemans name but he asked two questions: 1.)One to ten who do you rate your new mac? and 2.) Are there any questions or concerns you have about your new mac? After I answered those he informed me what the questions were for (restructuring) and offered me 10% off anything on the apple store on top of our education discount we already get, but I only have 5 days to use the discount and I have to call him back with what I want. And yes it is a real apple number.

latergator116
Apr 22, 2004, 03:00 PM
Great! I am glad to here that. Their customer sevice/quality control has been down these days (hopefully they are working on the QC issue.)

ingenious
Apr 22, 2004, 03:35 PM
Great! I am glad to here that. Their customer sevice/quality control has been down these days (hopefully they are working on the QC issue.)

yes but i think its still much better than other places that just keep referring you on to diff ppl. i wasn't even on hold for very long! Ive called twice, once for two diff macs. (PB g4, bad HD thats a QC issue, it was only a few months old! and PM g5- id never installed an Airport card and i couldnt locate the instructions in help or web, help said look on web, web said the same as help)

latergator116
Apr 22, 2004, 03:44 PM
yes but i think its still much better than other places that just keep referring you on to diff ppl. i wasn't even on hold for very long! Ive called twice, once for two diff macs. (PB g4, bad HD thats a QC issue, it was only a few months old! and PM g5- id never installed an Airport card and i couldnt locate the instructions in help or web, help said look on web, web said the same as help)

Usually, I find the customer service pretty helpful, but a few times I talked to their support in India and it wasn't helpful at all. I said "It won't lt me install OS X because it says I don't have enough hard drive space" (and I couldnt delete anything since my computer wouldn't start up). She said "got to apple retail store and buy hard drive."

baby duck monge
Apr 22, 2004, 03:47 PM
So Apple called me today about my recent purchase, I forget the gentlemans name but he asked two questions: 1.)One to ten who do you rate your new mac? and 2.) Are there any questions or concerns you have about your new mac? After I answered those he informed me what the questions were for (restructuring) and offered me 10% off anything on the apple store on top of our education discount we already get, but I only have 5 days to use the discount and I have to call him back with what I want. And yes it is a real apple number.

sounds pretty nice, but only having 5 days is no fun. at least you could use it on a small purchase to make it even smaller (especially on top of the edu discount).

baby duck monge
Apr 22, 2004, 03:49 PM
She said "got to apple retail store and buy hard drive."

sorry for the simulpost, but i have to say it...

that's rough.

someone needed to be fired for that one. even if that were the only option (which it probably was not), there is a much more tactful way to say it.

gemio17
Apr 22, 2004, 03:57 PM
hope I get one of those calls- just got the runaround for the mini I ordered 3 months ago..the excuse-the ole' world wide aluminum shortage line..I could use a phat 40 - I'm runnin out of room on my 10, I went for the 15 for no extra charge deal-the bad news for me - it's a present

latergator116
Apr 22, 2004, 05:53 PM
sorry for the simulpost, but i have to say it...

that's rough.

someone needed to be fired for that one. even if that were the only option (which it probably was not), there is a much more tactful way to say it.

Yeah, she was a little rude about it. I hope apple didn't tell the lady to say that to customers.:(

I called back later and got another person on the line, and they actually gave me some "real" help and now the problem is gone.:)

jemeinc
Apr 22, 2004, 06:35 PM
I hope I get one of those calls... I'm a disgruntled iBook user (when it works that is) & could really go for a good 'ol heart to heart with someone who actually has to listen- if for no other reason than THEY called ME...lol...

Seriously, I've owned plenty of Apple products throughout the years & one stinker isn't going to make me change my opinion about the machine & the OS... BUT, they way I was treated by Apple sure has made me change my opinion about the company... I love the machine but hate the company... Some restructuring is definitely in order in the customer service dept., as least judging by my 10 month old battle that's going on... They're stubborn as hell when it comes to acknowledging their errors....

medea
Apr 23, 2004, 04:13 PM
I hope I get one of those calls...
This was a recent purchase so unless you just bought this iBook I wouldn't count on it, but it the iBook is new you may get lucky.

wdlove
Apr 23, 2004, 05:32 PM
I have been very pleased with the customer service that I have received from Apple. Usually I ask the location of the person and it has always been in the US.

djjon
Apr 23, 2004, 07:01 PM
Even when phoning from here (Toronto Area) we usually get someone from the states. Once phoned to order a PM and the other time was when I couldn't get my iMac to start up.(it was the ram)

musicpyrite
Apr 23, 2004, 07:53 PM
Apple "restructuring" customer service

What!?!? WTF! Apple has customer service!! Well I've never used it, nor am I planning to!

Sparky's
Apr 23, 2004, 08:29 PM
Only once about 2 years ago I actually called Apple support. I had what I considered a major jam on my HD so I called the local retailer (the only one around for a hundred miles) and I get the Ben Steinish monotone voice saying "well, you'll have to bring the computer in......". Screw that so I called Apple and after less than a few minutes, they had me back up and running and with a smile on my face ;)

Though today I'm having problems with Panther in more ways than I can find answers for here so I just might need to contact them again, If they are improving support, you go Apple!!

jaw04005
Apr 23, 2004, 09:14 PM
Usually, I find the customer service pretty helpful, but a few times I talked to their support in India and it wasn't helpful at all. I said "It won't lt me install OS X because it says I don't have enough hard drive space" (and I couldnt delete anything since my computer wouldn't start up). She said "got to apple retail store and buy hard drive."

India? Did you call from within the United States? I too always ask the location of the person I'm talking with. They have always been in the United States. I thought that was the prime reason Apple does not have extended customer service hours.

I have been very satisfied with customer service. Out of all my macs, I have probally talked to customer service 11 or 12 times. Of the 12 times, I had 1 jerk that I asked to speak to his supervisor. The supervisor was friendly and apologized for his arrogant behavior.

On another note, anyone ever called Dell? I got so frustrated with trying to "translate" what their customer service reps are saying, I finally hung up and just emailed them. There was an intersting program on TechTV last weekend called Nerd Nation that was about the call centers in India---very informative.

I wish Apple would implement email support, and an apple representative posting to questions on their support discussion boards (like the .Mac boards).

When .Mac was first announced, after I signed up I was under the impression that the "apple representative will answer all posts on the message boards within 1 day" included hardware, software, or other issues---not just .Mac issues.

latergator116
Apr 23, 2004, 10:48 PM
India? Did you call from within the United States? I too always ask the location of the person I'm talking with. They have always been in the United States. I thought that was the prime reason Apple does not have extended customer service hours.

Yeah, I called from the US. I think at certain times of the day, it directs you to certain customer servie centers. When I cal,l I usually get somone at their center in Austin, TX, but I know they have at least one other center somewhere in New England...

Sparky's
Apr 24, 2004, 10:00 PM
Not to stir up old ghosts but you guys (and gals) may find this thread interesting (please ignore first post I couldn't delete it)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=61479