PDA

View Full Version : eMacs for 14 in Web bungle

iGav
Apr 23, 2004, 05:24 AM
20,000 people placed orders for 100 Million eMacs within 24 hours. :eek:

Had the orders been fulfilled Apple's share of the Japanese market would have soared into the 90% region... :eek: :p :p

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=8497

Dippo
Apr 23, 2004, 05:44 AM
They aren't obligated by law to honor those sales??

Counterfit
Apr 23, 2004, 06:25 AM
I don't think it applies for extreme typos.

MongoTheGeek
Apr 23, 2004, 07:06 AM
I don't think it applies for extreme typos.

In the US unless there is a clear disclaimer saying not responsible for typographical errors (etc...) they are liable. Though odds are it would be cheaper to not honor it and take it up the ... from the government for false advertising. A lot of catalogs etc have boilerplate not our faults and limited supplies.

virividox
Apr 23, 2004, 07:41 AM
dang!!! to bad it wasnt true hehe

csubear
Apr 23, 2004, 08:52 AM
but it is a fine example of if there where cheaper macs, there would be a huge mac marketshare.

i think....

Krizoitz
Apr 23, 2004, 08:58 AM
but it is a fine example of if there where cheaper macs, there would be a huge mac marketshare.

i think....

Oh yes because obviously at 14 ($25) thats actually a concern. Gimme a break... :confused:

jrv3034
Apr 23, 2004, 11:27 AM
Oh yes because obviously at 14 ($25) thats actually a concern. Gimme a break... :confused:

Obviously not at that price, but if they made a headless Mac at $499, I'm sure lots of people would snatch that up quickly, too.

Dippo
Apr 23, 2004, 11:49 AM

i think....

Well considering only 20,000 people bought 100 million of them....

That means each person bought an average of 5,000!!

Probably a bunch of Mac lovers who thought they were getting a "too good to be true deal"

baby duck monge
Apr 23, 2004, 12:20 PM
we can dream, can't we? i would have happily bought a few for myself and a couple for each of my closest friends. :D

Macmaniac
Apr 23, 2004, 06:43 PM
Heck for $25 I would buy eMacs for my entire school district.

michaelrjohnson
Apr 24, 2004, 09:40 AM
Well considering only 20,000 people bought 100 million of them....

That means each person bought an average of 5,000!!

Probably a bunch of Mac lovers who thought they were getting a "too good to be true deal"

wow... that's a lot of emacs... i don't have room for them, thats for sure. (5000 @ $25 is about $125,000) eek!

rainman::|:|
Apr 24, 2004, 02:30 PM
yeah companies are almost never liable for typos like this... i remember back in the late 90s, MacAddict reviewed a graphics pad with an LCD display built right in, so you could draw on the screen... it was supposed to be listed at $2,999, but was instead listed at $29.99, which pissed a few people off.

paul

Chip NoVaMac
Apr 25, 2004, 06:59 PM
yeah companies are almost never liable for typos like this... i remember back in the late 90s, MacAddict reviewed a graphics pad with an LCD display built right in, so you could draw on the screen... it was supposed to be listed at $2,999, but was instead listed at $29.99, which pissed a few people off.

paul

But was it in the review, or in an ad from the company?

flyfish29
Apr 25, 2004, 07:32 PM
Obviously not at that price, but if they made a headless Mac at $499, I'm sure lots of people would snatch that up quickly, too.

Yeah, but most of the people that would be buying them would be ones who would have or already have spent the money on a reg. iMac or another mac.

Not only that, their profits would be so low that they would not gain much from doing that. They would have to sell over twice as many iMacs as they do now to break even considering the average iMac price right now is around $1700+ roughly. Would not be a good move financially. Would help their user base if they sold more, but I would guess that many would be sold to mac users as a second machine?!?! Which doesn't help them as much as if they were to market the emac not only to education but as an entry level mac for consumers, then made the iMac a high end consumer mac.

Sparky's
Apr 25, 2004, 07:58 PM
Think the lawyers are gonna be busy settling this for some time.
But think if Apple had met the orders and shipped the units. 90% market share in a country like Japan!!! d**n, just charge the c**p out of them for service, software, OS updates, etc., etc. They'd recoup their losses quick enough. :rolleyes:

Dippo
Apr 25, 2004, 08:34 PM
Think the lawyers are gonna be busy settling this for some time.
But think if Apple had met the orders and shipped the units. 90% market share in a country like Japan!!! d**n, just charge the c**p out of them for service, software, OS updates, etc., etc. They'd recoup their losses quick enough. :rolleyes:

Actually Apple wouldn't be the one taking the loss. The Japanese company would still have to buy the eMacs wholesale from Apple and sell them for less.

Of course it probably would have been cheaper to go bankrupt, then to fulfill the orders (if they were required by law to do so)