PDA

View Full Version : Schedule Airplane mode

whoami4546
Apr 20, 2009, 01:56 AM
I am looking for a app that enables or disables arplane mode on the iphone by a preset schedule. Like i have classes Monday to friday 7 to 8 AM. I want it to automatically go to airplane mode during that time.

Stiss
Apr 20, 2009, 02:54 AM
I've never heard of a App which does this, but there could be one!

The Californian
Apr 20, 2009, 04:57 AM
I am looking for a app that enables or disables arplane mode on the iphone by a preset schedule. Like i have classes Monday to friday 7 to 8 AM. I want it to automatically go to airplane mode during that time.

Is it that hard to just flip that silent switch?

doobi18
Apr 20, 2009, 05:07 AM
Sorry, but this is not an available feature at this time, though it is definitely great idea and I am surprised that no 3rd party (unofficial) developer has written an app to do this. :D

//doobi18

hellomoto4
Apr 20, 2009, 05:09 AM
Developers don't have access to these controls.

doobi18
Apr 20, 2009, 06:23 AM
Developers don't have access to these controls.

I was referencing to devs in the jailbreak community (theoretically posible) - not within SDK limits.

//doobi18

Chris Blount
Apr 20, 2009, 07:45 AM
I am looking for a app that enables or disables arplane mode on the iphone by a preset schedule. Like i have classes Monday to friday 7 to 8 AM. I want it to automatically go to airplane mode during that time.This would be a great idea for a app!!! I work in a area that does not get a signal. If I forget to enable airplane mode or turn the phone off, my battery drains completely within a few hours.

I'm surprised Apple didn't think of including a feature like this.

cellocello
Apr 20, 2009, 08:28 AM
I'm surprised Apple didn't think of including a feature like this.

Probably to avoid the legions of "Why does my phone randomly go into airplane mode?!" complaints, when the user forgets that they had set that.

efice32
Apr 20, 2009, 09:04 AM
if apple made their programming and feature decisions based on avoiding complaints they would've had copy/paste and MMS there since day one ;)

Etnies419
Apr 20, 2009, 04:34 PM
This app is available for jailbroken users, and it's called MyProfiles. It let's you set different profiles based on time, GPS location, WiFi connection, and battery status. You can toggle 3G, WiFi, Airplane Mode, and more. It's available through the Rock app.

Chris Blount
Apr 20, 2009, 06:16 PM
This app is available for jailbroken users, and it's called MyProfiles. It let's you set different profiles based on time, GPS location, WiFi connection, and battery status. You can toggle 3G, WiFi, Airplane Mode, and more. It's available through the Rock app.That's great if you have the desire to jailbreak your phone. :(

Dr. Cabrera
Apr 20, 2009, 07:08 PM
why

seriously some people are freaking lazy, its already AT THE TOP OF THE SETTINGS MENU

It's not like turning off 3G where it's in a submenu

renewed
Apr 20, 2009, 07:12 PM
why

seriously some people are freaking lazy, its already AT THE TOP OF THE SETTINGS MENU

Agreed. I was thinking the same thing while ready this thread.

anjinha
Apr 20, 2009, 07:15 PM
If you wanted to know if this was available then you should have posted it in the "iPhone Hacks" section, anyways, Here (http://tiny.cc/k28X9)is the program you need!

I hate you. :D

milani
Apr 20, 2009, 07:34 PM
Is it that hard to just flip that silent switch?

The silent switch has nothing to do with airplane mode.

doobi18
Apr 20, 2009, 08:02 PM
This app is available for jailbroken users, and it's called MyProfiles. It let's you set different profiles based on time, GPS location, WiFi connection, and battery status. You can toggle 3G, WiFi, Airplane Mode, and more. It's available through the Rock app.

Awesome - don't know how I missed that!

That's great if you have the desire to jailbreak your phone. :(

Well if you desire automatic profiles so badly, isn;t that more than enough justification to do so?

//doobi18

alansmallen
Apr 20, 2009, 08:21 PM
I saw this on a HTC G1 with Android today and it was awesome. My friend walked into work and his phone went to vibrate and the Wi-fi turned on. Later, he walked into his car and the bluetooth turned on and connected to his car's handsfree. Never had to leave his pocket.

Times like these make me wish Apple was more like Google.

Vandam500
Apr 20, 2009, 08:48 PM
I hate you. :D

Haha, no you don't:)

I saw this on a HTC G1 with Android today and it was awesome. My friend walked into work and his phone went to vibrate and the Wi-fi turned on. Later, he walked into his car and the bluetooth turned on and connected to his car's handsfree. Never had to leave his pocket.

Times like these make me wish Apple was more like Google.

The iPhone does the second part except automatically turn on the bluetooth, although I always have it on and don't notice a battery drain when not in use.

mikeinternet
Apr 20, 2009, 09:35 PM
Having this work with GPS is even smarter. That way your schedule is not important. If you are at school or at work your phone will not ring.

Very cool.

Chris Blount
Apr 20, 2009, 10:06 PM
Well if you desire automatic profiles so badly, isn;t that more than enough justification to do so?
Not really. Jailbreaking places you into a whole other set of issues.

theDUB
Apr 21, 2009, 02:41 PM
why

It's not an issue of being too lazy to enable Airplane Mode. The OP just forgets before class.

papiti
Apr 21, 2009, 02:49 PM
Wow, I'm gonna call my Dad next Sunday at 12:00Am, so is there an APP that does this if I program it to do so, you know, I'm too lazy to press some buttons and call my Dad at that exact time.:D

Wow, that would be the dumbest App i would have ever seen. Why would I want to use it. I mean, isn't it easier if, once I go into class, or get into an Airplane, just go to settings and put the phone in Airplane mode. I mean, I'm just wondering!!!!!!!:eek:

theDUB
Apr 21, 2009, 02:56 PM
^^

Did you read anything past the first post?

Consultant
Apr 21, 2009, 03:25 PM
Do you turn the phone into no-ringer mode in movie theaters or other places?

You do the same thing in class. Don't need a scheduler.

gumball981
Apr 21, 2009, 03:25 PM
are you really that lazy?
it's right at the top of the settings menu, it takes under 3 seconds to flip a switch.

milani
Apr 21, 2009, 03:56 PM
it's right at the top of the settings menu, it takes under 3 seconds to flip a switch.

A comparable argument: why do you need email on your phone? Are you too lazy to go to a computer and read it?

cellocello
Apr 21, 2009, 03:57 PM
A comparable argument: why do you need email on your phone? Are you too lazy to go to a computer and read it?

Not comparable at all.

Poor form, milani - I expect more from you.

milani
Apr 21, 2009, 04:03 PM
Not comparable at all.

Poor form, milani - I expect more from you.

Haha, sorry to disappoint you. Look, I recognize that you don't need this airplane scheduler because you can just go to settings and turn it on. But if you follow that logic to its eventual end, then you really don't need any of the features of the iPhone, because you're "just too lazy to do it some other, more complicated way." All I'm saying is that that is hardly a fair criticism of a proposed feature. I don't necessarily think that this feature would be all that useful to a lot of people, but to suggest that it shouldn't be done solely because the same end can be had by other (more complicated) means, is hardly a fair knock at the idea.

Randman
Apr 21, 2009, 04:04 PM
Set a recurring calendar or clock item with a note to remind you.

However, if you really need that kind of a reminder, just turn your phone off in class. It's not that hard.

Dr. Cabrera
Apr 22, 2009, 12:43 AM
honestly its the FIRST OPTION in the settings menu, how could it be any easier ?

I would love it, if that first option was to turn 3G on and off

I find I do that at least 2x a week compared to the "airplane mode option" that I have used once in about 12 months

sammich
Apr 22, 2009, 12:55 AM

Why are you even getting emails? Are you too lazy to go to your mailbox?

Gunmetal Grey
Mar 25, 2010, 05:24 PM

The majority of those who think the guy's lazy obviously never used a smartphone before the iphone. Blackberry and other have this feature for a long time now, and it helps those who change their profile many times a day/every day to be more productive and don't miss a call because their forgot to turn off Airplaine mode.

It takes one second to press a button to go from portrait to landscape mode, but apple decided to include a motion sensor that will do this automatically, we learned to use it and found how it's a nice feature. If Apple had put a button to press instead, and a guy was asking for a faster way to do this instead of always pressing that button, those same guys here would said the same thing, that the guy is lazy and it takes one second to press that button.

In case you haven't noticed, making things easier and make us more productive is the reason why corporation like Apple, RIM, Google, etc. exist.

So when somebody request a new feature for the iphone, maybe you never felt the need for that particular feature, maybe the iphone is your first smartphone, and then you think it's useless and I understand, but that doesn't mean this feature is not needed. the op requested feature is available for android and BB and I'm sure for other mobile OS as well (Symbian, WinMo etc.), I'm waiting for that feature too (an official one) and others like "be able to mark multiple mails as read" instead of go through every unread mail, even if it takes 3 secs to open each mail.

Sean006
Mar 26, 2010, 09:53 AM
hate to say it but another plus on the BB side...
im trying to hold out for the new iphone.....just saying...

IronLogik
Mar 26, 2010, 09:57 AM
Just for anyone interested. I've kept an eye on this application for Android for awhile now.

The app on Android that does this is called Locale.

Really slick app, definitely wish this was available on the iPhone, but it has to run in the background to accomplish it's task.

http://www.twofortyfouram.com/

thebubbatex
Mar 26, 2010, 11:37 AM
Really, it is not necessarily a question of "laziness" - just one of forgetfulness. I will say that automatic profiles is the one feature (well, other than full task integration with Exchange) I miss from my WM days. WM will automatically set your phone to vibrate only when you have a scheduled appointment on your calendar (as well as many programs that could change your silent, ring, vibrate profile automatically based on time). Sometimes laziness has nothing to do with it - might be late for the meeting, might be on a call until you walk in the door or you might be talking to your boss before you walk into the meeting. There are lots of reason to "forget" to set your phone in a different mode manually.

For those of you who call the poster names and don't understand the value of this, well, you have either never had the feature or you are narrow minded.