PDA

View Full Version : AT&T Offering Refurbished 16 GB iPhone 3Gs for $149

MacRumors
Apr 20, 2009, 11:12 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/04/20/atandt-offering-refurbished-16-gb-iphone-3gs-for-149/)

AT&T is currently offering (http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phones/cell-phones.jsp?fearefurbished=refurbished&allTypes=on&feapaytype=standard&startFilter=false&manapple=apple) refurbished 16 GB iPhone 3G models in both black and white for $149, a $50 discount over previous offerings. The 8 GB model remains at the same $99 price point seen over the past few months. As usual, a two-year contract is required and purchases are limited to one device per household.

AT&T briefly offered (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/12/26/atandt-begins-selling-99-refurbished-iphone/) refurbished iPhone 3Gs at $99 and $199 in late December, and renewed the promotion (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/02/18/atandt-again-selling-99-refurbished-iphone-3g/) at the same price points in mid-February. Apple is expected to release an updated iPhone this summer, and AT&T's price drop could be interpreted as an attempt to clear stock ahead of the launch of the new model.

Article Link: AT&T Offering Refurbished 16 GB iPhone 3Gs for $149 (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/04/20/atandt-offering-refurbished-16-gb-iphone-3gs-for-149/)

aawil
Apr 20, 2009, 11:16 AM
Anybody know if these get the full warranty or only 90 days? The at&t website is a little vague.

AsianChexMix
Apr 20, 2009, 11:23 AM
I believe it would be full 1 year warranty. This happened for the first gen iPhone too.

jnguyen4
Apr 20, 2009, 11:30 AM
Anybody know if these get the full warranty or only 90 days? The at&t website is a little vague.

im pretty sure its 90 days. thats y i didn't get a refurb.

the AT&T website said 90 days.

Drumjim85
Apr 20, 2009, 11:40 AM
clearing out stock?

gkarris
Apr 20, 2009, 11:46 AM
Adds to the rumor that AT&T will be raising voice/data rates over the summer - just in time for the new iPhone...

aok1975
Apr 20, 2009, 12:00 PM
Adds to the rumor that AT&T will be raising voice/data rates over the summer - just in time for the new iPhone...

How, pls explain.

mikeinternet
Apr 20, 2009, 12:50 PM
Smart move. How much coud they possibly get for these come june? 40 bucks?

stagi
Apr 20, 2009, 03:11 PM
Great deal, I would like to upgrade my wifes first gen but am going to wait until mid summer to see what happens :)

chaostrick
Apr 20, 2009, 03:17 PM
the Refurbs come with the left over warranty on the original purchase date with a minimum of 90 days. I spoke to the guys at an apple store and was told that you can get the extended Apple warranty on the phone. Its $70, which is still much less than the $300 for a new one.

SFStateStudent
Apr 20, 2009, 06:19 PM
Something is definitely around the corner....:eek::p

dvdhsu
Apr 20, 2009, 07:10 PM
How, pls explain.

Yes, please explain.
But yeah, this definitely means something is coming around the bend.
However, the price is extremely cheap, and if you won't need the new features in the 3rd Generation iPhone, this could be an amazing deal.

iPegboy
Apr 21, 2009, 10:13 AM
For the record, I bought a refurbished first generation iPhone from AT&T last April. Through Apple's web site, I entered my purchase date, along with serial number. They extended my warranty for a full-year.

I don't know if there's a different procedure going on now, but that is what happened a year ago..

bryantsiphone
Apr 21, 2009, 10:53 AM
So for those of you who bought a refurb iphone was is in good shape?
im thinking about upgrading from my second generation.

RIPNHL2005
Apr 21, 2009, 11:55 AM
So for those of you who bought a refurb iphone was is in good shape?
im thinking about upgrading from my second generation.

I went into an AT&T store to see refurb in person thinking they were scratched or dropped in water and was told refurbs are ONLY customer returns within 2 week or whatever date of sale or back scratches then backs are replaced.
Refurbs are NOT phones that have been damaged and fixed.
I got mine that day and it did not have 1 single scratch on it....perfect condition. No issues with it at all!!!!

Drumjim85
Apr 21, 2009, 11:57 AM
I went into an AT&T store to see refurb in person thinking they were scratched or dropped in water and was told refurbs are ONLY customer returns within 2 week or whatever date of sale or back scratches then backs are replaced.
I got mine that day and it did not have 1 single scratch on it....perfect condition. No issues with it at all!!!!

Refurbs can be a bunch of things. including brand new phones that have never been used.

Krafty
Apr 21, 2009, 12:35 PM
My AT&T store says they don't sell refurbs.

chaostrick
Apr 21, 2009, 01:10 PM
Your ATT store wont have them. They are only selling them online. But the 2day express shipping is free. I ordered mine on Monday. I was going to wait for the new ones this summer, but $150 for 16GB was just to much to pass up. And Apple said you can get their extended waranty at any point in the first year. Apple has probably the best customer service experience in the US. And no matter where you buy it, Apple will help you.:)

iPhoneNYC
Apr 21, 2009, 02:18 PM
Signing up for two years with ATT on the verge of a new gen iPhone would be a killer...

war eagle
Apr 21, 2009, 02:42 PM
So there is no way to buy these phones without signing up for a new account?

Drumjim85
Apr 21, 2009, 02:47 PM
So there is no way to buy these phones without signing up for a new account?

ya, you can also sign a new 2 year contract (if you're eligible)

Benster
Apr 21, 2009, 03:44 PM
I got one of the 16GB refurbs in February and was able to upgrade from my original iPhone.

My brother-in-law says they will not let him use this deal to upgrade an existing AT&T phone this time around, even though it is eligible for upgrade.

Is that really the case, or did he maybe just get a bad representative.

I'm loving my 16GB refurb, although it is an Apple refurb now. I had a pixel that got "stuck" and the Apple store replaced it no questions asked.

-Benster

iMacoo7
Apr 21, 2009, 09:59 PM
I wAs going to sell my 3G iPhone once I puchasd the new model on eBay. But since they are almost giving the 3G away. I'll just use It as my testing iPhone for developng applications

xexeri
Apr 22, 2009, 06:16 AM
I also bought a refurbished one from AT&T (3G iPhone 16GB) and they gave me a one year warranty from my date of purchase.
The phone was in brand-new condition but had a slight problem with my voicemail, so I called AT&T on a Monday night and they sent me a replacement phone right away. I actually got the replacement Tuesday morning! It was also in brand-new condition.

They only sell the deal to new customers.

I also bought my phone at the $199 dollar price and when I saw them go on sale for $149, I called them up and they gave me a refund for the difference with no questions. AT&T has actually been pretty good.:D

epicwelshman
Apr 22, 2009, 06:25 AM
Any way to get one without a contract...? :rolleyes:

RIPNHL2005
Apr 22, 2009, 07:45 AM
Your ATT store wont have them. They are only selling them online. But the 2day express shipping is free. I ordered mine on Monday. I was going to wait for the new ones this summer, but $150 for 16GB was just to much to pass up. And Apple said you can get their extended waranty at any point in the first year. Apple has probably the best customer service experience in the US. And no matter where you buy it, Apple will help you.:)

Some do, Some don't, which is why I went in-store asking since I didn't want to buy online since you cant see what you're getting before buying it like in-store.

optophobia
Apr 22, 2009, 10:25 AM
I wAs going to sell my 3G iPhone once I puchasd the new model on eBay. But since they are almost giving the 3G away. I'll just use It as my testing iPhone for developng applications

They are not almost giving it away. This is a serious misconception. You may think the $149 is cheap, but that is with the 2 year contract (the expensive part).
A lot of people want to jailbreak these and use them on other networks, so they will still fetch $500 or so on ebay.

nemaslov
Apr 22, 2009, 12:49 PM
This is good but there is a problem in terms of lost or stolen phones. I have a friend whose purse was stolen and then lost two iPhones in a three month period. I know we need to be responsible and I know that ATT subsidises them to allow us to pay only 199 or 299 but there needs to be an insurance program or something. Some other option. Now she has to pay 499 or 599 to get back in the iPhone game.

Not right.

moeview
Apr 23, 2009, 09:09 AM
So I am new to the iphone but when they release the new phone in June what do you think it will cost? Will it be $200 like the current new phone.

diemos
Apr 23, 2009, 10:04 AM
I'm waiting for June, hopefully then I can still upgrade for like $200.

chaostrick
Apr 23, 2009, 11:05 AM
When they released the 3G, the prices were $299 and $399, so I wouldnt bet on being able to upgrade for $200 when the next phone comes out. It was several months before they dropped the price to $199 and $299. So you may end up waiting until Nov or Dec to upgrade.

maestro55
Apr 23, 2009, 11:09 AM
clearing out stock?

Yes, why purchase a 16GB 3G when in just a few months there will likely be 32GB iPhones are on the market. I guess if you want the good deal, but I am willing to wait to get a better phone. Heck, I have had my current phone for nearly 2 years now.

Todd H
Apr 23, 2009, 09:44 PM
Just pulled the trigger on a white one. My first cell phone ever. :)

Galley
Apr 23, 2009, 10:11 PM
I'm guessing a 32 gigger will be a minimum of $300, even with a discount, so $150 for a 16GB 3G isn't too bad.

benac
Apr 24, 2009, 09:51 AM
I just purchased the 16gig black refurbished model two days ago and received it yesterday. Primarily I was looking for something to replace my current Edge 8gig iPhone, which is showing signs of ageing (Battery is going and it's getting a little laggy and VERY hot). With my Edge iPhone I was still with the "GoPhone" pay as you go payment method, therefore I didn't have a 2 year contract. Besides the signs of age, the 16 gig capacity, $149 price tag, and Iphone OS ver 3.0 was what really made me swap. Unless Apple introduces something worlds better than the 3G, I'm content with what I have.

For those of you interested and unclear on a few this about the refurbished models:

The phone comes with an AT&T 1 year warranty (Although I'm pretty sure you can extend it).

My iPhone arrived in imaculate condition. Zero scratches, looks like it was never used.

Comes with the usually iPhone documentation, charger, earbuds, etc.

Shipped 2 day Air via UPS.

After your credit check and payment for the phone, your iPhone is "unbricked" and mailed. All you have to do is boot the phone up and activate via iTunes. Took maybe 10 minutes I activate and sync my apps and music.

chaostrick
Apr 24, 2009, 04:28 PM
I purchased the Refurb 16GB IPhone 3G from the ATT website Tues. It arrived earlier today via UPS. I have read on here (some where on MacRumors) that the warranty is more than the 90 days claimed by ATT, so I went to the Apple website to check out the warranty details:

"Our records indicate that your product is covered under Apple's Limited Warranty which is estimated to expire on May 01, 2010.

Your product is eligible for complimentary phone support which is estimated to expire on July 31, 2009."

I'm not sure I completely understood what its telling me. I get the first piece, but What is "complimentary phone support?" And secondly, I bought a refub, but the warranty last beyond a year??

Any help is appreciated.

optophobia
Apr 24, 2009, 05:34 PM
I purchased the Refurb 16GB IPhone 3G from the ATT website Tues. It arrived earlier today via UPS. I have read on here (some where on MacRumors) that the warranty is more than the 90 days claimed by ATT, so I went to the Apple website to check out the warranty details:

"Our records indicate that your product is covered under Apple's Limited Warranty which is estimated to expire on May 01, 2010.

Your product is eligible for complimentary phone support which is estimated to expire on July 31, 2009."

I'm not sure I completely understood what its telling me. I get the first piece, but What is "complimentary phone support?" And secondly, I bought a refub, but the warranty last beyond a year??

Any help is appreciated.

The "complimentary phone support?" normally only lasts 3 months. If you buy the extended applecare warranty, the phone support is extended to 3 years, just like the replacement time. Its just something they do, pretty much on macs as well. the phone support is just helpful early on so you can call up and say "how do I use the internet etc."

Normal Apple refurbs have a one year warranty, so I am guessing its just the same.

Xibalba
Apr 25, 2009, 10:06 AM
clearing out stock?

exactly - supply/demand - these units will decrease in value significantly come July...

and the voice/data rate increase was just an assumption that since AT&T did that with the second gen iphone that they will do it again - doubtful until we see the higher speed networks live...

Illicit
Apr 25, 2009, 11:26 AM
Just pulled the trigger on a white one. My first cell phone ever. :)

ever? well then you're really going to enjoy this one :p

dwella1
Apr 25, 2009, 12:28 PM
ever? well then you're really going to enjoy this one :p

He is going to think he is in star trek :D Congrats and have fun

d

addaminsane
Apr 25, 2009, 04:00 PM
Some do, Some don't, which is why I went in-store asking since I didn't want to buy online since you cant see what you're getting before buying it like in-store.

i'm sure with these they're probably good quality. i bought a blackberry online though that was missing a button...pissed me off.

Todd H
Apr 25, 2009, 06:53 PM
He is going to think he is in star trek :D Congrats and have fun

d

LOL! Yep, I'm the last human on Earth to not own a cell phone. My wife has had one for years. I also had to carry one for a job back in the late 90's so I've used quite a few. I always thought that if I ever bought one it would have to be something special. I'm thinking this is the one.

Brien
Apr 26, 2009, 10:43 PM
Man, I paid $300 for my 16GB white.

Oh well, it's a great phone.

Todd H
Apr 27, 2009, 10:22 AM
Just got it a few minutes ago. Not a single scratch on the thing. It looks factory new.

I've only had a few minutes to play with it but so far I'm loving it. :)

optophobia
Apr 27, 2009, 02:43 PM
Man, I paid $300 for my 16GB white.

Oh well, it's a great phone.

I paid $600 for my 1st gen 8GB, AND $300 for my white 16GB so don't feel bad.

crazydrumma
Apr 27, 2009, 05:07 PM
I ordered an 8gb refurb less than a month ago, and it arrived in perfect condition, no scratches, dead pixels, no problems at all. As far as warranty goes, I myself am confused as far as what the warranty is supposed to be. I ordered my phone April 3rd, and when I looked up warrant info at apple.com, it says my warranty is good until May of 2010. This is a little longer than a year, which I was definitely happy to find.

Also, you cannot purchase applecare for your refurbished iPhone. It will only have whatever warranty it comes with.

All in all, for $100, the refurb was well worth it. I'm a little miffed that the 16gb refurb is only $150, but that always happens with electronics. Something newer is always around the corner, and whatever you bought is going to be cheaper.

leelb26
Apr 27, 2009, 11:00 PM
I've tried online, talked to a representative online, and called a representative on the phone only to have it confirmed that existing iphone customers under contract cannot purchase a refurb. Only new accounts. I even mentioned that I'm willing to sign a new 2 yr contract (I'm 13 months into my existing one) but to no avail.

Has anyone else been successful at an "Upgrade" with this refurb deal?

htobin
May 1, 2009, 02:52 PM
Yes
I got a 16gb model and simply extended my contract two years. Did it online and received a brand new phone with full 1 year warranty eligible for apple care contract. It was in a box labeled refurbished, but was what appeared to be brand new and never used. On the Apple web site, it showed as never registered.

semlohde
May 2, 2009, 09:03 AM
aawil said - Anybody know if these get the full warranty or only 90 days? The at&t website is a little vague.
----------------------
I ask back - does it really matter and my reasoning is, apple will tell you there is water damage and not honer it anyway. When I had a cracked screen and went to the genius bar the very 1st thing done was a flashlight in the earphone hole. You have water damage and all we can do is let you have an early upgrade. That phone was never exposed to water other than in my shirt pocket. I saw the question was properly answered but wanted to motor mouth the warranty as it helped me. Oh, I spent $128 to get a new screen and digitizer and it's working perfectly instead of their help with $200 on top of the price of a phone.

dwella1
May 2, 2009, 09:33 AM
I've tried online, talked to a representative online, and called a representative on the phone only to have it confirmed that existing iphone customers under contract cannot purchase a refurb. Only new accounts. I even mentioned that I'm willing to sign a new 2 yr contract (I'm 13 months into my existing one) but to no avail.

Has anyone else been successful at an "Upgrade" with this refurb deal?

I added a line to my family talk and received a 16g for 149

d

coma
May 6, 2009, 08:52 AM

yeah anyone know if you can get a brand new/refurb iphone 3g from any store without a contract? i.e. buying it off the shelf

dvdhsu
May 7, 2009, 12:53 AM
yeah anyone know if you can get a brand new/refurb iphone 3g from any store without a contract? i.e. buying it off the shelf

Yes. AT&T and Apple both sell them without contract, GoPhibe for 499 and 599 USD, 8 gigabytes and 16 gigabytes, respectably.
It is my understanding that if you get it from Apple they let you leave the store without activation/contract. You go home, plug in your GoPhone SIM, and it just works.
Of course, you can also plug in a TurboSIM card. :D

w8ing4intelmacs
May 11, 2009, 02:23 PM
Argh! I was all set to buy a refurb iPhone but the ATT online store is out of the white 16GB ones. Does anyone know if and possible when they might get more? (i.e., you've seen it go in and out of stock).

chaostrick
May 12, 2009, 08:32 PM
I just spoke to a higher up in Apple and he told me that when the new OS comes out, the 3G's should have video capability. I acted surprised and said "going to video is just a software upgrade?" and he said yeah, it'll come with the new OS. He also said that the reason the Touch doesnt have a camera is because Apple's biggest Touch customer asked that it didnt... He also said this site (MacRumors) and MacSurfer are the two best sites on the net for Apple news as far as accuracy.

My 2 cents

ngenerator
May 13, 2009, 01:03 PM
Yes
I got a 16gb model and simply extended my contract two years. Did it online and received a brand new phone with full 1 year warranty eligible for apple care contract. It was in a box labeled refurbished, but was what appeared to be brand new and never used. On the Apple web site, it showed as never registered.

Quick question: how does one go about verifying if a refurb they purchased has never been registered? Any tips to tell if it was never used/registered, like a link to the site? Much appreciated!

doodads
May 13, 2009, 06:17 PM
How long were you into your existing two year contract?

Yes

mski349
May 15, 2009, 03:27 PM
I have been forcing myself to not buy an iPhone anticipating the June announcement. But with the 16g refurb going for $149? Should I do it?

Currently I'm a Verizon customer & am planning on switching to AT&T for the iPhone. So I'll be eilgible for a new contract discount.

Should I get the 16g now & upgrade down the road when the price drops or wait another month for the 3rd gen iPhone? This is killing me!! HELP!

M.S.

UngratefulNinja
May 15, 2009, 03:34 PM
I have been forcing myself to not buy an iPhone anticipating the June announcement. But with the 16g refurb going for $149? Should I do it?

Currently I'm a Verizon customer & am planning on switching to AT&T for the iPhone. So I'll be eilgible for a new contract discount.

Should I get the 16g now & upgrade down the road when the price drops or wait another month for the 3rd gen iPhone? This is killing me!! HELP!

M.S.

I did the same thing this week, except I went with the refurb 8gb. I also am making the switch from Verizon to AT&T. I finally decided that nothing would really be so wonderful in the new iphone that would make me want to spend more money. I'm perfectly happy with what the iphone seems to have now :D Mine is scheduled to be delivered on Monday it looks like!

bobbleheadbob
May 16, 2009, 07:16 AM

M.S.

I'd wait and see what they say at WWDC. Could be that the new version is only a month or two away!

Quietwalker
May 16, 2009, 04:39 PM
Sorry, folks -- the AT&T online site says they are "temporarily out of stock" on refurbs for the 8GB and both the B & W 16GB iphones.
:(

RedGeminiPA
May 17, 2009, 10:06 AM

I believe if you purchase one from an individual or from maybe eBay, you can add it to your plan with the required iPhone data plan and not be under a contract. Seems that new iPhones on eBay without a contract are bringing pretty big bucks.

Would be best to ask AT&T, but I'm pretty sure they only require a contract if you purchase it from AT&T or an authorized retailer. :apple: ;)

As far as holding off until summer to purchase a new one: I don't really see a reason to hold off. I believe the only thing that's going to change for iPhone is the new 3.0 OS. All current iPhone users can upgrade to OS 3.0 for FREE! The only ones being charged for the upgrade are iPod Touch users... $9.95 for the upgrade.

RedGeminiPA
May 17, 2009, 10:41 AM
Yes. AT&T and Apple both sell them without contract, GoPhibe for 499 and 599 USD, 8 gigabytes and 16 gigabytes, respectably.
It is my understanding that if you get it from Apple they let you leave the store without activation/contract. You go home, plug in your GoPhone SIM, and it just works.
Of course, you can also plug in a TurboSIM card. :D

I was informed by my AT&T store that it's impossible to purchase from AT&T, Apple or an authorized reseller (Best Buy, WalMart) without a contract. It doesn't matter how much you pay, if you buy from either of those sources, you're going to be entered into a contract. Your best bet is to get it on eBay and hope you get a genuinely good seller... read their feedback extensively! Seems iPhones on eBay (new ones) bring pretty high price tags for this reason.

Oh, and I don't believe GoPhone SIM cards will work. As soon as you turn on the iPhone, it communicates with AT&T and pretty much automatically upgrades you to the iPhone Data Plan. If you're going to attempt that, do it with caution.

Something else to be cautious about: If you do not have unlimited text on your plan, you could get caught in a "loop" with your text plan. Since I don't text much, I only have the 200 message plan. I noticed I was charged for 18 text messages but wasn't over on my 200 plan. The AT&T store took care of it with no problem, but had I not caught it, it would've been expensive at the end of the month at $0.20 each.