PDA

View Full Version : How do you clean your LCD screens ?

CmdrLaForge
Apr 23, 2004, 11:32 AM
Hi folks,

I just got my iBook back from Apple (repair) and they have cleaned the little bugger. Now the screen really looks much better. I never cleaned it. Now I have a simple question: How do you clean your LCD screens ? Of your iBooks Powerbooks or displays ? What do you use ?

Would be interesting for me.

Cheers
CmdrLaForge

Nny
Apr 23, 2004, 11:37 AM
Hi folks,

I just got my iBook back from Apple (repair) and they have cleaned the little bugger. Now the screen really looks much better. I never cleaned it. Now I have a simple question: How do you clean your LCD screens ? Of your iBooks Powerbooks or displays ? What do you use ?

Would be interesting for me.

Cheers
CmdrLaForge

I don't know if this is best, but I always have used a slightly damp cotton cloth. Just water. Don't know which chemicals to trust so I stick with what has always worked for me.

sethypoo
Apr 23, 2004, 11:39 AM
My uber-advanced cleaning tool:

My hand.

Using a slightly damp clean cotton cloth also works well.

goodwill
Apr 23, 2004, 11:47 AM
i use iklear, it comes with the cloth and the solution. although, the damp cloth would work just as ideally, i figured for what i paid for the powerbook, 20 bucks for cleaning solution would be worth it. I always believe you get what you pay for, so for paying so much, i felt i myswell pay a little more to keep it looking like my precious baby.

flyfish29
Apr 23, 2004, 11:50 AM
My iMac came with a cleaning cloth...don't remember if they said use it damp or not.

Apple Support says this:

1. Turn off the computer or display. You may need to turn off the computer in order to turn off some Apple displays.
2. Dampen a clean, soft, lint-free cloth or paper with water only.
3. Wipe the screen. Do not spray liquid directly on the screen.

You may also use a mild glass cleaner that contains no alcohol or ammonia. Most office supply stores sell cleaning kits specifically designed for this purpose.

While there are many commercial products available that will work without damaging the plastics, Apple has tested a product called Klear Screen made by Meridrew Enterprises (http://www.klearscreen.com) and found it does not cause any harm to the plastics. This product may not be available worldwide.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60446

Koodauw
Apr 23, 2004, 12:36 PM
I bought a cleaning kit for mine. It was like 15 bucks or so, I think. Came with some cleaning solution, a brush type thing, and a cloth to dry it off. Works well. Although I have used damp cloths, and they work fine too.

mactastic
Apr 23, 2004, 01:12 PM
Short of using iKlear or something similar, I'd use a lens cleaner cloth from a camera shop.

djkny
Apr 23, 2004, 01:50 PM
warm water and "screensaverz" cloth from radtech.us. Amazing little piece that cleans and protects your keyboard from leaving imprints on the screen.

superfunkomatic
Apr 23, 2004, 01:52 PM
it would be nice if someone did some research into this. sounds like old urban myths, don't wipe your monitor with cleaners it will wreck them (along the lines of don't go swimming for at least an hour after eating).

i've been using windex (ammonia and all) for 10 years, never had a problem with damage to the screen on any CRTs or LCDs.

tomf87
Apr 23, 2004, 02:03 PM
This will sound dumb, but I use Pledge on my PB. It removes any dust and fingerprints plus leaves a nice shine.

Crikey
Apr 23, 2004, 02:52 PM
My sweetie wanted something to clean her LCD screen. I told her a little water on a freshly-laundered T-shirt, but she wanted something "official", so last time I was at Fry's I bought something. It was either iKlear or more likely Klear Screen, I can't recall which. She used it on her 19" LCD and the screen of the G3 PowerBook her work issued her, and was upset -- "I think I ruined my screens!". This stuff leaves a residue (the bottle actually says it will) that is supposed to repel dust and dirt. It looks pretty streaky and bad, to us. I got a T-shirt, moistened it, and cleaned the gunk off the Lombard for her.

I vote for a little water on a clean T-shirt.

Crikey

law guy
Apr 23, 2004, 03:35 PM
This will sound dumb, but I use Pledge on my PB. It removes any dust and fingerprints plus leaves a nice shine.

While I have to think this is intended as humor (or tom may have a very slippery notebook, who knows), I have to wave folks off from actually trying it as a solution with oils or wax probably is not a great choice.

tomf87
Apr 23, 2004, 04:04 PM
While I have to think this is intended as humor (or tom may have a very slippery notebook, who knows), I have to wave folks off from actually trying it as a solution with oils or wax probably is not a great choice.

Actually, I am serious. I've used it since 1996 on all of my laptops with no issues. I am not sure why it would hurt it, but who knows.

Sparky's
Apr 23, 2004, 09:14 PM
I use a product called "Endust for Electronics" anti-static cleaning and dusting spray. Depending on your location (I'm in Up-state New YorK) I get it at Rite-Aid a local drug store. Its distributed in the US by KIWI Brands in Douglasville PA and can be reached toll free at 1-800-392-7733. I also use it to clean my eye-glasses and TV screens (using a 100% cotton rag).

reaper
Apr 23, 2004, 09:20 PM
it would be nice if someone did some research into this. sounds like old urban myths, don't wipe your monitor with cleaners it will wreck them (along the lines of don't go swimming for at least an hour after eating).

i've been using windex (ammonia and all) for 10 years, never had a problem with damage to the screen on any CRTs or LCDs.

me too... i just use windex on my 17" apple display and have never had a problem.

- reaper

Krizoitz
Apr 23, 2004, 10:22 PM
steel wool, definitely steel wool

i concur with the t-shirt and water method, perfect for cleaning

CmdrLaForge
Apr 24, 2004, 05:38 AM
steel wool, definitely steel wool

OK. Thanks. Looks like the best choice. I will get some from my car dealer.