PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a new 7200rpm for my iBook!

spaceballl
Apr 24, 2004, 01:20 AM
So I've been talking about it for a while, but I finally plunked down the cash today. I decided to have some fun, though, and instead of getting the 60gb Hitachi drive that everyone seems to get, I got the Toshiba 50gb drive instead. This one has 16mb cache though instead of the 8mb that the Hitachi drive has.

What are the best benchmarks I can run before and after to see if upgrading an old G3 iBook's 4200 drive to a fast 7200 rpm makes a big impact on overall performance. Just let me know and I'll run it. I need a speed bump to keep me content until the G5 PBs come from Apple. Also, I took a chance with this drive because there isn't too much documentation on it, but I really wish there were a comparison between the two 7200 rpm drives out there.

Also, what's the best way to copy all of this data onto the new drive? If I get an external enclosure, is there some kind of software??

-Kevin

baby duck monge
Apr 24, 2004, 01:46 AM
i don't really have any suggestions other than xbench, but i did want to wish you the best of luck and tell you that i will be looking forward to seeing the results of your little experiment.

Apple Hobo
Apr 24, 2004, 02:00 AM
DriveTest (http://fwb.com/html/drivetest.html)

stoid
Apr 24, 2004, 02:39 AM
As for duping the old drive onto the new, check out Carbon Copy Cloner. Great app, simple and easy!

JFreak
Apr 24, 2004, 03:51 AM
you can expect 100% speed boost to the hard drive performance and therefore feel great snappiness after the drive exchange. based on my experience with my older powerbook (667dvi).

spaceballl
Apr 24, 2004, 04:51 AM
I'm going to make performance charts and everything :)
-Kev