PDA

View Full Version : New PBs sports a faster G4 that the desktop

Alte22a
Apr 24, 2004, 01:10 PM
Kinda odd looking at apples site the G4 PBs have a higher clock speed that the desktop G4s. I thought there some problems producing G4 1.4 chips. Seems not if they are in the PBs, any thoughts?

stoid
Apr 24, 2004, 01:15 PM
Apple got up to 1.42 GHz in the towers. But that was over a year ago, so it's possible that a little more R&D from Moto has gotten the G4 up to 1.5 by now.

Alte22a
Apr 24, 2004, 01:19 PM
stoid,

its very quiet on a saturday evening ahould be out no? Yeah was aware that G4 1.4 desktop came out, then as soon as the G5 were released they stop and gave you only 1.25 options. I guess Laptops and Desktop are slightly different. And supoose apple had surplus 1.25 chips in stock...

stoid
Apr 24, 2004, 01:31 PM
stoid,

its very quiet on a saturday evening ahould be out no? Yeah was aware that G4 1.4 desktop came out, then as soon as the G5 were released they stop and gave you only 1.25 options. I guess Laptops and Desktop are slightly different. And supoose apple had surplus 1.25 chips in stock...

I'm across the pond my friend, it's a nasty rainy cold afternoon here. :(

Anyway, as long as the computers keep getting faster, I'm not going to bother Apple over where they found the chips :D

chabig
Apr 24, 2004, 05:19 PM
Kinda odd looking at apples site the G4 PBs have a higher clock speed that the desktop G4s.

Not so odd really, given that Apple has ceased development of G4 desktops in favor of the G5 models.

Chris

Gherkin
Apr 26, 2004, 07:34 AM
Not so odd really, given that Apple has ceased development of G4 desktops in favor of the G5 models.

Chris

I guess the iMac and eMac aren't desktops?

chabig
Apr 26, 2004, 08:25 AM
I guess the iMac and eMac aren't desktops?

You got me. I should have said G4 Powermacs.

Chris

Crikey
Apr 26, 2004, 02:02 PM
Yes, the new PowerBooks are based on a new revision of the G4 chip that can out-clock the old ones. The PowerBooks get it, since the G5 PowerBook is still "a ways off". The desktops may or may not get it. My speculation is that the eMac just got refreshed to use the last of the old G4 chips, and that Apple is working on replacing the iMac with a G5 model and won't bother with putting the newest G4 variant in it unless the G5 upgrade project hits snags and will be delayed.

I suspect that Apple would like to sell desktops that at least match, maybe beat their portables, so they are working overtime to sort out issues and proceed with including the G5 across the line.

Crikey