Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

umbilical

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 3, 2008
FL, USA
hi, I have 2 HDs, the main of 500gb (system) and I buy yesterday a 1tb for backup etc... on my mac pro...

I erase and install the system leopard on the main hd, but now the 2 hds are toooooo slow! this is not normal I erase and install the system in the past and this slow results dont happend... I run software updates too and nathing... are sooo slow, around 8 seconds for read the content of a simple folder...

please help? I need eject the 2nd hd (1tb) and install the system and later insert? or something?

thanks

umbilical

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 3, 2008
FL, USA
hi, I have 2 HDs, the main of 500gb (system) and I buy yesterday a 1tb for backup etc... on my mac pro...

I erase and install the system leopard on the main hd, but now the 2 hds are toooooo slow! this is not normal I erase and install the system in the past and this slow results dont happend... I run software updates too and nathing... are sooo slow, around 8 seconds for read the content of a simple folder...

please help? I need eject the 2nd hd (1tb) and install the system and later insert? or something?

thanks

please help with this, thanks

umbilical

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 3, 2008
FL, USA
What kind are the hard drives?

1st HD, the default by apple when I buy, its a seagate of 500gb
2nd HD, I buy yesterday a WD "Black" 1tb

A. so I insert the 2nd hd, everything is ok...
B. later I decide erase and install the system... in the 1st hd...
C. Result, both hds slow... around 9 seconds for read a simple folder

maybe I need eject the 2nd hd and erase and install the system again ... on the 1st hd :confused::eek:

umbilical

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 3, 2008
FL, USA
I see this in finder but I put on "short" and I dont see any difference...

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 166

rpaloalto

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
Palo Alto CA.
What did you format the drive as? ''Mac OSX Extended'' is the format needed.
You also have to partition the drive as a ''GUID partition Table''.
You can do all this from disk utility.

umbilical

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 3, 2008
FL, USA
thanks, I open and extract the 1tb of the macpro and erase and install on the main hd seagate... and now everything is perfect! Iam right the problem was that install the system with the 1tb hd inside... strange but I remember a comment of that with memery ram...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.