Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blakespot

Administrator
Original poster
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Willow Design makes some excellent Macintosh cases. My original Mac 128K has sat for years in a tote bag designed for that formfactor, from the mid 80's. I carry my iBook around in a Willow case that fits the laptop perfectly. It's a sad thing to see them go.

Let me post part of an e-mail I, as a customer, received from them just now:

Hi Blake

I wanted to drop you note to let you know that we are closing Willow Design. We came to the unfortunate realization that with making our cases in North America, with our higher labor costs, we could not compete against offshore production.

We were faced with the options of 1) decreasing our features or standard of quality, 2) shipping our production offshore as well, or 3) just stopping to make our cases and shut down. Neither the first nor the second option was palatable, so instead, we decided to shut.

We announced our decision back in February, but with that announcement have received over 2500 orders from previous customers from around the world. So it's taken until now that we are producing our final runs and have available our final selection of cases.

. . . .

Thanks again.

Nigel Peck
Willow Design

Now's the last chance to grab one of their excellent cases.

http://www.willowdesign.com

blakespot

Versello

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2003
Wow, bummer. I was very close to ordering a case from them back in October for my 12" PB.

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2003
Providence, RI
I hate to see small companies like that get put out of business, ecspcially when their products are probably ten times better than their large competitors. :(

If I had the use for a laptop case, I'd probably buy one right now.

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004

arogge

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
The Web site also mentions the Elbonian labor rate: 22 to 30 cents per hour. Stores are being filled with cheap cases and bags that are priced at over $70 - Made in Elbonia, no lifetime warranty, and they feel like they're going to break during handling. It seems like few people want high-quality products anymore. Many of the Apple products are being made in Elbonia now, and that's really disappointing. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.