PDA

View Full Version : Is 'Programming in Objective-C 2.0' by Steve Kochan worth the money?

Mstr
Apr 24, 2009, 05:30 PM
It looks and sounds great, but is it worth the 25 on Amazon.co.uk/ 26 USD on Amazon.com? Are there better prices around for the latest print?
I would appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance.

steve10172
Apr 24, 2009, 06:33 PM
I received my copy of the book today.
I personally feel 24.99 is good price from Amazon.co.uk.
I started reading it and the narrative style is interesting and I didnt feel lost in the jargon.
I can`t tell you to buy or not, its your choice in the end.
I did google, as I`m sure you might have done and I found amazon price to be cheapest.

henrysoup
Apr 24, 2009, 07:51 PM
I would say yes. I have it next to me right now.
I bought mine for 28.99 from Borders, so 25 sounds pretty good.

JLatte
Apr 24, 2009, 10:13 PM
You should support the author and purchase the book instead. It's really not that much, if you're actually serious about learning to program you should just invest the little bit of cash and buy the book. Plus, the newest edition is a bit more up to date. As everyone else said, check Amazon for cheapest price. Find a used copy if you can.

dejo
Apr 25, 2009, 12:32 AM
From what I saw there is very little difference, if any.
There is a difference. The 2nd edition covers what new with the 2.0 side of Objective-C as well as having a whole section on iPhone development.

coramoor
Apr 25, 2009, 12:42 AM
There is a difference. The 2nd edition covers what new with the 2.0 side of Objective-C as well as having a whole section on iPhone development.

Sweet. I will look into it myself then :P

skochan
Apr 25, 2009, 01:24 AM
Of course it's worth the money (wow, what a subject title!) :D

Obviously, I don't set the price, the publisher does. Quite honestly, it's not that easy to make a decent income writing anymore--unless you happen to hit a bestseller. The Internet and all the free material that's available has put a lot of pressure on both the publishers and authors. Not a complaint, just a statement of the state of industry, which may also account for what you might consider a high price for the book.

There are numerous differences between the two editions (as previously noted): the 2nd edition is Mac-oriented from the start, covers the Objective-C 2.0 additions, and includes a chapter at the end that shows how to create an iPhone application from two of the classes that are developed in the book (a Fraction and a Calculator class).

Cheers,

Steve Kochan

Mstr
Apr 25, 2009, 02:49 AM
Thanks everyone for your contributions. Thinking about it, the book does seem to be at a fair price. I'm getting one! :D

iphonerain
Apr 25, 2009, 07:21 PM
Is it possible for you to get a hold of the book at a physical bookstore before you make the purchase? If so, you should check it out :) I also support purchasing the book rather than downloading it - we have to support the people in our field! :D

skochan
Apr 25, 2009, 07:44 PM
I also support purchasing the book rather than downloading it - we have to support the people in our field! :D

Thanks. I appreciate that. :)

Steve Kochan

mmendoza27
Apr 26, 2009, 01:32 AM
I actually bought the first book right before the 2nd one came out (about 2 months I think). I was a little disappointed that I bought the first one. I went into like chapter 4 or 5 and was debating on getting the 2nd edition. I picked up the 2nd edition last week because it's just so well written. THERE ARE DIFFERENCES. Even from just the first couple of chapters...

You use NSLog instead of printf, it's Mac-oriented, there is a dedicated iPhone section in the end and much more! Yes, there are grammatical errors, but that's expected. I think it's worth the price and that comes from a late adopter of the 1st one.

CocoaPuffs
Apr 26, 2009, 01:42 AM
I have the first one and it has been used quite frequently...but now I am intrigued by this thread. Can someone please provide more details between the two, or I might just go squat at B&N for few hours.

thomasjt
Apr 26, 2009, 02:54 AM
I just bought the book about a week ago and I'm up to page ~350. So far it's very good, although if you know any C at all the first part will be very familiar. I'm really looking forward to learning some more of the core Foundation stuff which is what I assume the second half deals with.

Mstr
Apr 26, 2009, 07:21 AM
cool.:cool:

gusapple
Apr 27, 2009, 04:06 PM
Of course it's worth the money (wow, what a subject title!) :D

Obviously, I don't set the price, the publisher does. Quite honestly, it's not that easy to make a decent income writing anymore--unless you happen to hit a bestseller. The Internet and all the free material that's available has put a lot of pressure on both the publishers and authors. Not a complaint, just a statement of the state of industry, which may also account for what you might consider a high price for the book.

Might I say though that your book is way easier to read because it assumes nothing, unlike most websites.