Is 'Programming in Objective-C 2.0' by Steve Kochan worth the money?

Discussion in 'iPhone/iPad Programming' started by Mstr, Apr 24, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

It looks and sounds great, but is it worth the £25 on Amazon.co.uk/ 26 USD on Amazon.com? Are there better prices around for the latest print?
    I would appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance.

2. macrumors member

I received my copy of the book today.
    I personally feel £24.99 is good price from Amazon.co.uk.
    I started reading it and the narrative style is interesting and I didnt feel lost in the jargon.
    I can`t tell you to buy or not, its your choice in the end.
    I did google, as I`m sure you might have done and I found amazon price to be cheapest.

3. macrumors newbie

henrysoup

I would say yes. I have it next to me right now.
    I bought mine for £28.99 from Borders, so £25 sounds pretty good.

4. macrumors 6502

You should support the author and purchase the book instead. It's really not that much, if you're actually serious about learning to program you should just invest the little bit of cash and buy the book. Plus, the newest edition is a bit more up to date. As everyone else said, check Amazon for cheapest price. Find a used copy if you can.

5. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

There is a difference. The 2nd edition covers what new with the 2.0 side of Objective-C as well as having a whole section on iPhone development.

6. macrumors newbie

Sweet. I will look into it myself then :p

7. macrumors regular

Of course it's worth the money (wow, what a subject title!) :D

Obviously, I don't set the price, the publisher does. Quite honestly, it's not that easy to make a decent income writing anymore--unless you happen to hit a bestseller. The Internet and all the free material that's available has put a lot of pressure on both the publishers and authors. Not a complaint, just a statement of the state of industry, which may also account for what you might consider a high price for the book.

There are numerous differences between the two editions (as previously noted): the 2nd edition is Mac-oriented from the start, covers the Objective-C 2.0 additions, and includes a chapter at the end that shows how to create an iPhone application from two of the classes that are developed in the book (a Fraction and a Calculator class).

Cheers,

Steve Kochan

8. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for your contributions. Thinking about it, the book does seem to be at a fair price. I'm getting one! :D

9. macrumors member

Is it possible for you to get a hold of the book at a physical bookstore before you make the purchase? If so, you should check it out :) I also support purchasing the book rather than downloading it - we have to support the people in our field! :D

10. macrumors regular

Thanks. I appreciate that. :)

Steve Kochan

11. macrumors 6502

I actually bought the first book right before the 2nd one came out (about 2 months I think). I was a little disappointed that I bought the first one. I went into like chapter 4 or 5 and was debating on getting the 2nd edition. I picked up the 2nd edition last week because it's just so well written. THERE ARE DIFFERENCES. Even from just the first couple of chapters...

You use NSLog instead of printf, it's Mac-oriented, there is a dedicated iPhone section in the end and much more! Yes, there are grammatical errors, but that's expected. I think it's worth the price and that comes from a late adopter of the 1st one.

12. macrumors 68010

I have the first one and it has been used quite frequently...but now I am intrigued by this thread. Can someone please provide more details between the two, or I might just go squat at B&N for few hours.

13. macrumors newbie

I just bought the book about a week ago and I'm up to page ~350. So far it's very good, although if you know any C at all the first part will be very familiar. I'm really looking forward to learning some more of the core Foundation stuff which is what I assume the second half deals with.

14. thread starter macrumors newbie

cool.:cool:

15. macrumors 6502a

gusapple

Might I say though that your book is way easier to read because it assumes nothing, unlike most websites.