PDA

View Full Version : 10.2.8 Upgrade-Yes or No?


18thTomorrow
Apr 26, 2004, 03:32 PM
Hello,

I have a 350 Mhz Blue/White G3 running OS 10.2.6 right now. I was doing some (long overdue) system updating and couldn't decide whether to go for the 10.2.8 update or not. 2.6 has been as stable as I could ask for and runs well.
What do you think? Should I let well enough alone, or could my machine handle the next level?

Britt

tomf87
Apr 26, 2004, 04:07 PM
I don't think the upgrade from 10.2.6 to 10.2.8 is that major of an upgrade so hardware should not be a problem.

I ran 10.2.8 on my iMac prior to 10.3 and the latest update was stable.

EDIT: You may search for 'upgrade 10.2.8' through the forums to see if anyone else with a G3 experienced issues.

russed
Apr 26, 2004, 04:43 PM
when i was running 10.2.8 it appeared to be fine to me.

King Cobra
Apr 26, 2004, 05:43 PM
Go for it. 10.2.8 is about the best that Jaguar gets... (I'll leave the "best that OS X gets" debate to those with Panther and prefer it.)

Flynnstone
Apr 26, 2004, 06:06 PM
Did you have any problem going from 10.2.4 up?
I tried to upgrade the same machine (I think), I think 2.4 to 2.5 was a problem.
After the upgrade, it wouldn't boot. :(

Awimoway
Apr 26, 2004, 07:50 PM
Why bother? Why take the chance? 10.2.8 was a disaster for many people. I would leave it alone. I upgraded to Panther straight from 10.2.6.

tomf87
Apr 26, 2004, 08:12 PM
Why bother? Why take the chance? 10.2.8 was a disaster for many people. I would leave it alone. I upgraded to Panther straight from 10.2.6.

The first version had an issue with Powerbooks and some iMac's. And they fixed that with the second release.

Of course, if 10.2.6 is running fine, then it is always a safe bet to stay put.

bousozoku
Apr 27, 2004, 01:18 AM
There is not likely to be a problem running 10.2.8. I was running it fine on my G3/400 before upgrading to 10.3. There was a decent performance increase in either over 10.2.6, too.

Awimoway
Apr 27, 2004, 02:45 AM
The first version had an issue with Powerbooks and some iMac's. And they fixed that with the second release.

Of course, if 10.2.6 is running fine, then it is always a safe bet to stay put.

Sorry. I forgot that. You're right. :)

Chappers
Apr 27, 2004, 03:48 AM
Well I was different - I had problems with 10.2.6 (iMac 800 17 inch G4) upgraded to 10.2.8 and am very happy. If you're happy then stay that way.

MrMacMan
Apr 28, 2004, 11:26 PM
I'm running 10.2.8 right now.

I can't explain how it got faster... it just did.


I upgraded my machine a few times, 10.2.8 is worth it.

Flynnstone
Apr 28, 2004, 11:46 PM
sig
LOOP: MOVE #$01, D0
CMP #0, D0
BNE LOOP


I like you signature!
If you what it faster, perhaps :
BRA *

To slow it down,
NOP or BRN *
;)

bousozoku
Apr 29, 2004, 12:47 AM
I like you signature!
If you what it faster, perhaps :
BRA *

To slow it down,
NOP or BRN *
;)

Thanks, but it changes depending on my rank (processor), so I leave it alone mostly since most processors have similar options. Besides, you're changing the meaning. However, I use the optimising signature assembler to make sure it doesn't slow down the forums at all. ;) :D

ThomasJefferson
Apr 29, 2004, 12:26 PM
I am running it on my G3 ibook 600. No problems at all.

Sparky's
Apr 29, 2004, 06:28 PM
Another one for the positive. I'm running 10.2.8 on my G3-400 with an upgrade CPU (G4-500) and video card(Radeon 7000 32mb), plus an additional 80gb internal HD. My results are solid, for about 6 months now and no crashes, freezes, or any other problems. I leave my machine on 24/7 for the Folding and its the most stable my machine has been since I bought it (4 years ago)

Dont Hurt Me
Apr 29, 2004, 07:44 PM
Im running 10.2.8 and very happy with it, I like to wait until the .3 or .4 before going into the new OS because of bugs. about to go panther but may wait until G5 gets a G5 OS and then a new machine.