PDA

View Full Version : 100 Ways to Live Forever

MacFan25
Apr 26, 2004, 04:30 PM
100 Ways to Live Forever - A Men's Health Article (http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article/0,2823,s3-3-0-0-531-1-2X4X6X9X11-6,00.html)

This was linked from my homepage today, and I thought it was an interesting read. I know wdlove usually posts interesting health-related articles, but I figured I'd post this one. :)

crenz
Apr 26, 2004, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the link -- it's a very interesting article. Will try to at least implement a few of them.

King Cobra
Apr 26, 2004, 05:59 PM
Sounds like this isn't a current events article if it shows someone how to live forever. But, then again, DNA changes, so maybe the article is current.

All right, for those of you still reading through this page and not the article...you lazy asses. Let me see if I can tempt a couple of people to go there with this fact:

21. Choose dark chocolate. Cocoa contains flavonoids that thin the blood and keep it from clotting (like it does just before you clutch your chest and expire). And at least a third of the fat in chocolate is oleic acid, which is the same healthy, monounsaturated fat found in olive oil. Dove dark chocolate bars retain as many flavonoids as possible.

Macmaniac
Apr 26, 2004, 06:03 PM
Sounds like I need to alter my chocolate eating habits so my plan for world wide control, and everlasting life will be achieved. MuHAHAHAHA :eek: :D :p ;)

eyelikeart
Apr 26, 2004, 06:13 PM
21. Choose dark chocolate. Cocoa contains flavonoids that thin the blood and keep it from clotting (like it does just before you clutch your chest and expire). And at least a third of the fat in chocolate is oleic acid, which is the same healthy, monounsaturated fat found in olive oil. Dove dark chocolate bars retain as many flavonoids as possible.

I'm already privy to that one. ;)

Still, good article indeed. I love that magazine. :)

wdlove
Apr 26, 2004, 06:27 PM
100 Ways to Live Forever - A Men's Health Article (http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article/0,2823,s3-3-0-0-531-1-2X4X6X9X11-6,00.html)

This was linked from my homepage today, and I thought it was an interesting read. I know wdlove usually posts interesting health-related articles, but I figured I'd post this one. :)

That is a good article MacFan25, thank you for posting the link. The majority I have already incorporated in some way or the other.

Sparky's
Apr 26, 2004, 07:06 PM
Surviving cancer 2 years ago, having emergency surgery to remove my gallbladder 4 weeks ago, kinda gave me a wake up call, especially when the cardiologist said he saw an abnormal EKG and I had to be tested before surgery (they didn't want me dying on the table) So this article helps a great deal. Thank for the post :p

23. Have a drink every other day. A Boston study of 38,000 men found that men who drink alcohol three or four times a week have a 32 percent lower risk of heart attack than men who drink less than once a week. Moderate amounts of alcohol raise HDL cholesterol levels and keep the blood thin, reducing the threat of artery-clogging clots. Drinking more frequently is fine (up to the limit at which your friends -- or the state police -- gather and confront you), but won't provide additional heart protection, the study's authors report.

Way ahead of it ;)

45. Swap honey for sugar. Researchers at the University of Illinois found that honey has powerful antioxidant qualities that help combat cardiovascular disease, while sugar consumption can lower your levels of HDL cholesterol, potentially increasing your risk of heart-related disorders.

Been using honey in my coffee instead of sugar for as long as I can remember

Awimoway
Apr 26, 2004, 07:42 PM
I don't want to live forever. I don't want to be old and decrepit and lonely.

solvs
Apr 26, 2004, 10:40 PM
Yeah, who wants to live forever? I know I wouldn't.

eyelikeart
Apr 26, 2004, 11:09 PM
Been using honey in my coffee instead of sugar for as long as I can remember

I've never had honey in coffee, just tea. Does it give it a different sweet flavoring?

btw...Ken Nordine is good stuff... ;)

Mr. Anderson
Apr 27, 2004, 07:01 AM
Honey is loaded with carbs though - if you're diabetic its really not much of an option.

I don't really know if I like honey in coffee. Tea is fine.

But I also eat it once in a while with peanut butter on some bread instead of jelly.

D

MongoTheGeek
Apr 27, 2004, 07:07 AM
Yeah, who wants to live forever? I know I wouldn't.

Neither do I. Hell, a few months ago I was ready to find a nice quiet place to lie down and wait to die. If the cancer comes back I think I will. I'll just ask the doctor for some opiate and prednisone and wait on the beach.

rueyeet
Apr 27, 2004, 12:06 PM
Hell, a few months ago I was ready to find a nice quiet place to lie down and wait to die. If the cancer comes back I think I will. I'll just ask the doctor for some opiate and prednisone and wait on the beach.My mom's preferred method would be driving her old '68 Buick over a cliff into the sea...unfortunately they've long since had to get rid of that car.
Yeah, who wants to live forever? I know I wouldn't.One of my favorite quotes: "Immortality is only for the gods. I wonder how they can stand it?" from Bridge of Birds (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0345321383/002-0925323-4576055?v=glance), by Barry Hughart

solvs
Apr 27, 2004, 03:33 PM
Well, I wasn't proposing suicide. I just think that after about 100 years, I'd be done. Maybe I'd feel differently by then, but I doubt it. I'm just not going to do anything to speed up the process.

Dazzler
Apr 27, 2004, 05:46 PM
I'm already going to live forever - or die trying.

wdlove
Apr 27, 2004, 08:08 PM
It's not really the living forever that is the important information. What you should desire is a good quality of life in the future. Being able to be active and clear thinking.

Sparky's
Apr 27, 2004, 08:21 PM
I've never had honey in coffee, just tea. Does it give it a different sweet flavoring?

btw...Ken Nordine is good stuff... ;)

I have always said that "Good" coffee should be drunk black. but when I think it's a bit bitter or just off I put about a half a teaspoon of honey in it and it smoothes of the bitterness. I don't like it sweet per say, just good tasting and smooth.

Glad to se someone else recognize Ken, thought I was alone in the world.

Giaguara
Apr 28, 2004, 11:28 AM
Very interesting.

I'd make a point 101. Throw away the article and read something about hte Hippocrates Diet (by Ann Wigmore), and follow that. And live forever.