Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 20, 2004
Hey Everyone

I was wondering if I could make a file server with a PowerMac with out having to spend 499+ on Mac O/S X Server?

Thanks

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 20, 2004
The server will have to support both macs and PCs- i know nothing about this topic

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
It also depends on the network services you wish to offer. You can always install the Developer Package and compile a DHCP server and things like that. Without OS X Server, you just have to get creative.

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
SharePoint is a nice Samba admin tool, but doesn't help with other services.. Which reminds me, we still don't know what services he/she wants to offer...

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
For basic file sharing, Sharepoints will work. In fact I'm buying an old B&W for my server over the summer. Basically if you'll want non-admin Windows users to login (basically guests) you'll have to create a guest account (do it in Sharepoints because it can create homeless accounts) and give it read only access. Otherwise windows computers will have admin access to all your files. OSX client is the same as OSX server, only sever has nice GUI programs to edit server options while you'll have to do it manually in OSX client. Sharepoints does take away some of the burden.

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
7on said:
...OSX client is the same as OSX server, only sever has nice GUI programs to edit server options while you'll have to do it manually in OSX client. Sharepoints does take away some of the burden.

Well, if that's so, I'd sure like to know how to get vpnd to work. It seems Apple changed something in 10.3.

Also, I don't think OS X has Open Directory, Workgroup Management, Media Streaming, and NetBoot/NetInstall capabilities like OS X Server does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.