PDA

View Full Version : What USB hard drive for Time Capsule?

ks-man
Apr 28, 2009, 10:32 PM
I'm looking to add a 1TB hard drive to my Time Capsule so I can have wireless access to the files for my iMac, MBA and Dell (XP). I use the TC hard drive for time machine for my two macs, so this hard drive would be exclusively for storing files that I don't want to keep on my computer. I have a new baby and a camcorder which means there are GBs of files added every day.

I was wondering what other people are using for a network hard drive and if they are happy with them. Also, I'm assuming a USB HD to the Time Capsule USB port is a better option (faster and more stable) than a true network hard drive (ethernet port). Is this correct?

Thanks.

rgarjr
Apr 29, 2009, 12:46 AM
I think the ethernet drives (NAS) are a bit faster than the USB drives but they also cost more. There's just tons of USB external hard drives nowadays, its not even funny. I like the WD My Studio 2TB drives cuz of the aluminum.

DoFoT9
Apr 29, 2009, 12:59 AM
OP: in regard to the ethernet vs USB - i have tried a LaCie ethernet capable external HD and i never figured out to use it with the TC. it wont let me connect to it. thats why i am going to recommend USB (shudder-i hate USB, FW ftw).

USB will be easier i think.