PDA

View Full Version : Cancelling HD 4780 for GTX 285. Who else?

imacdaddy
Apr 29, 2009, 08:13 PM
Maybe the delayed shipping for the HD4780 is good karma. After hearing about the GTX 285 for MP for June release, I think I'm going to cancel my order. I'm in no rush and would love to see some reviews before deciding again.

Anyone else?

turtlebud
Apr 29, 2009, 08:56 PM
seriously considering it. worst case, I end up ordering the 4870 again anyways.

irishgrizzly
Apr 29, 2009, 09:13 PM
Yep, just canceled 5 mins ago on hearing the news. I figured the same – I can always reorder the 4870 later if needs be. I've got a 8800 and have had no problems so I'm cool with a wait until June.

A few questions if anyone can answer;

1. What ports will this have? DVI/VGA?
http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/5337/macgtx285eng.jpg
Looks like 2 x DVI

2. Does this card offer better potential for SL in it's architecture?

3. Any guesses on price?

cmaier
Apr 29, 2009, 09:19 PM
Yep, just canceled 5 mins ago on hearing the news. I figured the same – I can always reorder the 4870 later if needs be. I've got a 8800 and have had no problems so I'm cool with a wait until June.

3. Any guesses on price?

re #2: yes. More pipelines == more ability to offload highly parallelizable tasks (e.g.: audio/video/image processing, etc.)

Tallest Skil
Apr 29, 2009, 09:20 PM

3. Any guesses on price?

Well, LOOKING at the card, it seems to have two DVI. :p

NO serious card has VGA anymore.

Tesselator
Apr 29, 2009, 09:27 PM
Yeah;
http://images.nvidia.com/products/geforce_gtx_285/GeForce_GTX_285_med_bracket.png (http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_gtx_285_us.html)

Looks pretty cool! I hope it works in a 2006 MP 1.1 system! :D

irishgrizzly
Apr 29, 2009, 09:29 PM

Yeah, next time – eyes first, questions later :rolleyes:

Battlefield Fan
Apr 29, 2009, 09:32 PM

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/14-102-826-S02?$S180W$

SAPPHIRE Vapor-X Radeon HD 4870 2GB
$244.99

What was that? :p

pprior
Apr 29, 2009, 10:03 PM
Not me, Nvidia has blown chunks on my machine for driver support. The only game I really play is BF2142 and performance on my X1900 ATI card was way better than the 8800 "upgrade" from Nvidia.

I'm sticking with ATI which has been shown faster in core apps and in my experience MUCH faster in cider games as well, despite what any hardware disadvantages they may have.

FRKT
Apr 30, 2009, 01:05 AM
I'd cancel, but I need the Mini DisplayPort.

J the Ninja
Apr 30, 2009, 01:13 AM
I just dropped by EVGA site to check their prices on their other GTX 285s. The vanilla one is about $350. For those who aren't familiar with EVGA, they typically sell a reference edition of the card, then some fancier models, with firmware or cooling tweaks, that sort of thing, which are slightly more expensive. This card is likely to be another special 285, so in addition to the "overclocked version" and "water block version" you can now also pick up a "Mac Pro version". Judging by their prices on the factory overclocked cards, expect to pay somewhere at or just below $400 for this.

FRKT
Apr 30, 2009, 01:25 AM
... why, oh why, can't it have a Mini DisplayPort.

(or better yet, why can't we have a DVI to Mini DisplayPort adapter...)

skyline r34
Apr 30, 2009, 01:43 AM
i was going to order the 4870 glad i didn't, i'm holding off until june for the geforce

grue
Apr 30, 2009, 01:52 AM
... why, oh why, can't it have a Mini DisplayPort.

(or better yet, why can't we have a DVI to Mini DisplayPort adapter...)

Because the overwhelming majority of people buying this won't give half a crap about Mini DisplayPort.

DVI to Mini DisplayPort isn't going to happen (unless someone makes a full-on conversion box) because they're totally different signaling system.

Alith
Apr 30, 2009, 04:12 AM
Just cancelled my order now. It was showing May 12th-14th anyway and I'm happy to wait another month.

I had planned to get one 4870 and then perhaps a second for Crossfire if needed but that's fiddly, expensive and limited to windows. One 285 will do me for ages in both OS's.

Heliconsoul
Apr 30, 2009, 04:23 AM
Just cancelled my 4870 too. This is some great news, also not being an Apple made card I can't see it being too far off the £280 Apple want for the ATI card.

Hoping it'll be around £300-320.

FRKT
Apr 30, 2009, 05:41 AM
Because the overwhelming majority of people buying this won't give half a crap about Mini DisplayPort.

You don't think DisplayPort is here to stay?

Umbongo
Apr 30, 2009, 06:08 AM

It will be some time before non-Apple displays only have DisplayPort as a connection option. Other companies want you to buy and use their displays on any computer you want.

tezro
Apr 30, 2009, 06:54 AM
I cancelled my 4870 after reading the news on Appleinsider.
The 8800GT is not much slower then the 4870 for what I do, and the GTX 285 seems more of a upgrade then the 4870 to me.

FRKT
Apr 30, 2009, 07:23 AM
It will be some time before non-Apple displays only have DisplayPort as a connection option. Other companies want you to buy and use their displays on any computer you want.

That's fine. I was a little worried my recent purchase of a 24" LED Apple Cinema Display would turn out a fluke if Display Port turns out to never make standard.

turtlebud
Apr 30, 2009, 09:28 AM
cancelled my order for the 4870 and am waiting to see how the GTX 285 stacks up in terms of cost & price. always seem to be waiting on apple related stuff huh?

OddThomas
Apr 30, 2009, 10:47 AM
not cancelling. 4870 arrives some time today. i am upgrading from the ati 2600 so increase in performance is relative.:D don't want to wait anymore.

alam
Apr 30, 2009, 10:57 AM
guess i'll wait 4 nvidia :D

lannister80
Apr 30, 2009, 11:45 AM
Like ADC did, right? lol

Tallest Skil
Apr 30, 2009, 11:47 AM
Like ADC did, right? lol

Except DisplayPort is a free port, an internationally adopted standard, and many monitors have been made using it already. Fail.

velocityg4
Apr 30, 2009, 12:03 PM
Yeah;
http://images.nvidia.com/products/geforce_gtx_285/GeForce_GTX_285_med_bracket.png (http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_gtx_285_us.html)

Looks pretty cool! I hope it works in a 2006 MP 1.1 system! :D
If Apple is making it then no they want you to buy a new Mac Pro. If nVidia or someone else is building the cards then I would say it will most likely work as PCIe 2.0 is backwards compatible with PCIe 1.0. Except possibly the GTX295 or Radeon HD4870x2 I don't think any current cards saturate PCIe x16 1.0 yet.

netkas
Apr 30, 2009, 12:16 PM
peak arithmetic performance of 4870 and 285 isnt very different, look at table : http://techreport.com/articles.x/16229/6

TheStrudel
Apr 30, 2009, 03:21 PM
Hmm. That second screenshot being posted has the analog port, which I'm certain the OS X version probably won't have - and doesn't in the Engadget screenshots.

That aside, I definitely wouldn't cancel for it. I highly doubt 's suddenly going to have much better Nvidia drivers. It'd be better for windows stuff, but I'm willing to bet the 4870 will outperform it in OS X, unless they overhaul it all or a ton of CUDA support get spliced into snow leopard. That said, nobody knows whether or not ATI or Nvidia cards will perform better on OpenCL and Snow Leopard, but in the here and now, I'll stick to the higher OS X performance of ATI cards.

The 8800 GT fiasco was a little galling.

nick9191
Apr 30, 2009, 03:37 PM
Whilst under Windows and gaming, the GTX will certainly beat the Radeon, I get the feeling that under OS X and pro apps, the radeon will smoke it. Nvidia's OS X drivers suck ass. Just like the X1900 XT beats the 8800GT under OS X.

MacsRgr8
Apr 30, 2009, 03:50 PM
It wouldn't surprise me to find the mini DisplayPort on the Mac Edition of the GTX 285.
Must admit, I would like to have the 24" connected to the GTX 285... ;)

pprior
Apr 30, 2009, 05:15 PM
Whilst under Windows and gaming, the GTX will certainly beat the Radeon, I get the feeling that under OS X and pro apps, the radeon will smoke it. Nvidia's OS X drivers suck ass. Just like the X1900 XT beats the 8800GT under OS X.

Exactly why I'm keeping my 4870. Same experience here, hte x1900 XT blew away the 8800, so sad.

turtlebud
Apr 30, 2009, 05:46 PM
Exactly why I'm keeping my 4870. Same experience here, hte x1900 XT blew away the 8800, so sad.

this is why I love the macrumors forums - i can get a lot of good information here. my initial reaction when they announce the GTX 285 was that I wanted it (instead of the 4870). So I cancelled by order for the 4870. But now, it seems that the 4870 may be better in some cases than the GTX 285 (specifically the drivers for nvidia cards seem to be notorious).

however, I'm not regretting canceling the 4870 because I want to wait. Not necessarily to buy the GTX 285, but more because I can afford to wait. So far, Aperture and Final Cut Express have been performing quite well with the stock 2600XT (I did add 8GB of RAM though). it's probably also cause I'm going from a dual core 2.0Ghz Powermac G5. so i'm just going to keep this configuration for awhile and revisit the video card upgrade in 6 months or so. by then the 4870 should be readily available as should the GTX 285 and many people will have done benchmarks which are relevant to what i'd be using. maybe the prices will even drop a bit by then.

of course i'll be following threads like these closely so I can see how each card is working out for people - presumably after snow leopard finally ships. always better to wait if you can afford to right?

grue
Apr 30, 2009, 06:32 PM

Latest drivers place the 8800GT squarely in front of the X1900XT and 3870… and even the 4870 in some tasks.

matthew.russo
Apr 30, 2009, 06:41 PM
If the mac pro's could run SLI, I would cancel my 2 ATI's in a heartbeat. Xfire setup is nice for win. The 285 is ever so tempting though over the Xfire setup...and they are pretty much neck and neck performance wise.

jnc
Apr 30, 2009, 06:43 PM
Except DisplayPort is a free port, an internationally adopted standard

The Displayport on my Dell remains unused though, thanks to Apple taking this standard, and limiting it in their own special way. Displayport eh... well, here's MINI displayport.

Got a display, but want a new Mac? Better buy our adapter. Want our display? Better buy a new Mac. Lol.

iBug2
Apr 30, 2009, 07:49 PM

Not really. 8800GT is almost twice as fast than X1900XT on any games I play. Sorry but that's wrong information you have there. And yes, this is on Mac OS X.

pprior
Apr 30, 2009, 09:39 PM
Does that include any cider games?

I can assure you 100% that that is not true for BF2142

grue
Apr 30, 2009, 09:50 PM
Does that include any cider games?

I can assure you 100% that that is not true for BF2142

Cider is crap.

If it comes down to AIDS or being forced to play Cider ports for the rest of my life, I'll take AIDS. At least I'll be able to have fun until I die.

jnc
Apr 30, 2009, 09:54 PM
Cider is crap.

If it comes down to AIDS or being forced to play Cider ports for the rest of my life, I'll take AIDS. At least I'll be able to have fun until I die.

http://e.deviantart.com/emoticons/e/eek.gif

TheStrudel
Apr 30, 2009, 10:51 PM
Latest drivers place the 8800GT squarely in front of the X1900XT and 3870… and even the 4870 in some tasks.

In OS X? In pro apps and core image? I don't think that's true - that's not what I've read or experienced. If you're talking about games, fine, but I think the 3870 and 4870 beat it in core image apps and video applications.

Also, we've got a driver update coming that should kick the 4870 up a notch or three.

grue
Apr 30, 2009, 10:54 PM
In OS X? In pro apps and core image? I don't think that's true - that's not what I've read or experienced. If you're talking about games, fine, but I think the 3870 and 4870 beat it in core image apps and video applications.

Also, we've got a driver update coming that should kick the 4870 up a notch or three.

Yes, yes and yes to the first three.

http://barefeats.com/nehal06.html

pprior
Apr 30, 2009, 10:57 PM
Cider is crap.

Whatever...:rolleyes:

While I'm not a cider fan, for those of us who will NOT boot windows, it's the only way to play a number of games "released" for mac.

So if you're buying MAC software and not bootcamping, I stand by my assertion.

BTW, I get really tired of people making all kinds of claims about video cards and performance and drivers, etc, and the whole time they're referring to bootcamp of XP! If I wanted a freaking PC, I'd buy one.

grue
Apr 30, 2009, 11:06 PM

While I'm not a cider fan, for those of us who will NOT boot windows, it's the only way to play a number of games "released" for mac.

So if you're buying MAC software and not bootcamping, I stand by my assertion.

BTW, I get really tired of people making all kinds of claims about video cards and performance and drivers, etc, and the whole time they're referring to bootcamp of XP! If I wanted a freaking PC, I'd buy one.

Not once have I referenced boot camp for benchmarks in this thread, so I don't know why you're lashing out at me.

If you want to run inferior versions of games, that's your business. If I'm running top notch hardware, I'd like to have good performance in games when I want to destress.

However, games that are actually written for Mac rather than being run in some third-rate compatibility layer run significantly better than Cider ports… and Windows versions typically run better yet.

TheStrudel
Apr 30, 2009, 11:06 PM
Yes, yes and yes to the first three.

http://barefeats.com/nehal06.html

I probably should have specified. That only applies to Nehalem owners. The reverse is true for us Penryn users, as that set of tests is showing. Again, we've got an imminent driver update. Though I'm willing to admit that an Nvidia driver update is possibly incoming, I'm also skeptical - why would everything be cleaned up all of a sudden, now?

grue
Apr 30, 2009, 11:28 PM
I probably should have specified. That only applies to Nehalem owners. The reverse is true for us Penryn users, as that set of tests is showing. Again, we've got an imminent driver update. Though I'm willing to admit that an Nvidia driver update is possibly incoming, I'm also skeptical - why would everything be cleaned up all of a sudden, now?

Ah, ok re: Penryn.

For what it's worth, it's been implied to me that there've been -vast- improvements in the nvidia drivers on the Mac, and of course people aren't moving the nvidia drivers from the 09s onto their 08s when they install 4870s… Could be BS, so keep in mind that rumors and implications are worth precisely what you pay for them :D

IrishBritish
Apr 30, 2009, 11:30 PM
At this rate we will get a new graphics card every three months!!!
I just worry that this is rushed and leed to problems.......

Topper
Apr 30, 2009, 11:40 PM
My 4870 just arrived. I'll probably return it.
I'll take the GTX 285 under consideration.
I know the GTX 285 is very powerful but is it's Mac driver any good?
I would like to own either a 4890, 4870 X2, or the GTX 285.
It will all depend on what's available and benchmarks from Barefeats.

Tesselator
May 1, 2009, 12:27 AM
Cider is crap.

If you want to run inferior versions of games, that's your business. If I'm running top notch hardware, I'd like to have good performance in games when I want to destress.

However, games that are actually written for Mac rather than being run in some third-rate compatibility layer run significantly better than Cider ports… and Windows versions typically run better yet.

I've heard of cider but never had it nor seen it in action. What's it like? Are there any videos of it being used? Why is it so bad (if it's bad)?

grue
May 1, 2009, 12:37 AM
I've heard of cider but never had it nor seen it in action. What's it like? Are there any videos of it being used? Why is it so bad (if it's bad)?

It's basically a hack layer to let Windows games run under MacOS. EA uses it for all their Mac versions, which is why they all suck so hard in terms of performance.

pprior
May 1, 2009, 08:57 AM
Not once have I referenced boot camp for benchmarks in this thread, so I don't know why you're lashing out at me.

I wasn't clear in my post - I was making the bootcamp statement in general, not directed towards you, my bad on that.

I DON"T want to run inferior versions of games, but that's what people seem to put out for mac, dude! You want to play C&C - it's cider, you want to play Battlefield, it's cider...

those happen to be the games I enjoy playing, and they happen to blow chunks with the Nvidia cards because of who knows why, but it's reality. Sure I wish (and would pay for!) native mac game software, but we all know that doesn't happen much.

In case I wasn't clear, I'm not running torrented cider hacks of PC games or rolling my own, I'm buying the games directly - EA specifically.

Tom Sawyer
May 2, 2009, 09:58 AM
I've RMA'ed and am sending my Apple 4780 back for a refund. Makes no sense to pay 380 for a card that is outperformed by one that will sell at around the same price.

My 8800GT will do until the 285 is available. :D

BG-Mac
May 3, 2009, 07:33 AM
Do you guys think this will be offered as a BTO option from Apple?

Tesselator
May 3, 2009, 07:57 AM
I DON"T want to run inferior versions of games, but that's what people seem to put out for mac, dude! You want to play C&C - it's cider, you want to play Battlefield, it's cider...

those happen to be the games I enjoy playing, and they happen to blow chunks with the Nvidia cards because of who knows why, but it's reality. Sure I wish (and would pay for!) native mac game software, but we all know that doesn't happen much.

In case I wasn't clear, I'm not running torrented cider hacks of PC games or rolling my own, I'm buying the games directly - EA specifically.

I like Unreal Tournament and Quake three and four a lot. Those are really the only ones I know besides little blaster games like Platypus (http://www.reclinergames.com/mac/games/Platypus.htm) or concept games like Plasma Pong (http://download.cnet.com/Plasma-Pong/3000-2099_4-10511143.html) or Zenerchi (http://www.playfirst.com/game/zenerchi). So I guess that's why I haven't seen a cider game. I'm almost finished with Zenerchi! :) Neat game! I played Halo, WarHammer, and Savage 2 some - are any of those cider?

matthew.russo
May 21, 2009, 07:39 PM
I have 2 4870's in my PC which I can't run crossfire on.

Should I return the 4870's and run one GTX285 + 8800GT? I have 3 monitors to run still.

The GTX will still be better in games under bootcamp..and I save some money.

Tallest Skil
May 21, 2009, 07:44 PM
Do you guys think this will be offered as a BTO option from Apple?

Highly doubtful. They never offered the 3870 directly.

Should I return the 4870's and run one GTX285 + 8800GT? I have 3 monitors to run still.

You will need to use an ODD bay for the secondary power supply and you'll be covering three of the four PCIe slots.

matthew.russo
May 21, 2009, 07:58 PM
Highly doubtful. They never offered the 3870 directly.

You will need to use an ODD bay for the secondary power supply and you'll be covering three of the four PCIe slots.

already got all that running with 2 4870's

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36197914@N08/sets/72157616169842077/detail/

Im half/half about swapping..the gtx 285 isnt alot more better. plus I have to get the card in from the US.

Chad H
May 21, 2009, 09:03 PM
already got all that running with 2 4870's

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36197914@N08/sets/72157616169842077/detail/

Im half/half about swapping..the gtx 285 isnt alot more better. plus I have to get the card in from the US.

I thought the gtx 285 was alot better than the ATI offered with the current mac pros?

Topper
May 21, 2009, 09:22 PM
I thought the gtx 285 was alot better than the ATI offered with the current mac pros?

It will depend on the GTX 285 Mac drivers.
For PCs the GTX 285 is around 34 percent more powerful than the 4870 512MB card.

MacAndy74
May 21, 2009, 10:40 PM
OMG :eek: Great news on the GTX285 - so glad I haven't ordered my Mac Pro yet. Yes, I'm going to order the GTX285 instead of the ATi 4870. :cool:

TheStrudel
May 22, 2009, 12:25 AM
I like Unreal Tournament and Quake three and four a lot. Those are really the only ones I know besides little blaster games like Platypus (http://www.reclinergames.com/mac/games/Platypus.htm) or concept games like Plasma Pong (http://download.cnet.com/Plasma-Pong/3000-2099_4-10511143.html) or Zenerchi (http://www.playfirst.com/game/zenerchi). So I guess that's why I haven't seen a cider game. I'm almost finished with Zenerchi! :) Neat game! I played Halo, WarHammer, and Savage 2 some - are any of those cider?

None of those are Cider, to my knowledge.

matthew.russo
May 22, 2009, 12:50 AM
It will depend on the GTX 285 Mac drivers.
For PCs the GTX 285 is around 34 percent more powerful than the 4870 512MB card.

Its here and there in the PC as well, pretty much all games run better on the GTX285 but the 4870 isn't far off on some. 4870 x2 beats the GTX285 quite easily...but can't be done by the looks.

seisend
May 22, 2009, 05:22 AM
Hey, I got a question.

I want to buy my Mac Pro around July and August. Will the Geforce 285 only be available in any electronic stores or will I be able to buy my Mac Pro directly from apple with this card? If not, I'll probably need to buy the standart GT120 and replace it with the GF285 !

Also anybody know if this card will be available in Europe, too?

matthew.russo
May 22, 2009, 05:29 AM
Hey, I got a question.

I want to buy my Mac Pro around July and August. Will the Geforce 285 only be available in any electronic stores or will I be able to buy my Mac Pro directly from apple with this card? If not, I'll probably need to buy the standart GT120 and replace it with the GF285 !

It won't be BTO, so you will have to get the GT120 then replace it. Not sure of any european sellers yet.

seisend
May 22, 2009, 05:43 AM
It won't be BTO, so you will have to get the GT120 then replace it. Not sure of any european sellers yet.

okey thanks !

well, I could also run the GT120 and the 285 together, right? I don't mean SLI. I got two 24" monitors. And would hook up every card to one monitor.

Tallest Skil
May 22, 2009, 05:48 AM

Halo is an actual native port, but making a Cider game isn't that hard.

okey thanks !

well, I could also run the GT120 and the 285 together, right? I don't mean SLI. I got two 24" monitors. And would hook up every card to one monitor.

I like the way you think... I do the same thing. You DO know that each card has two ports, right? You can run two monitors on one card.

The performance discrepancy between the cards is something to keep in mind. If you need to use both monitors for a professional program, you'll want to put them both on the GTX 285.

seisend
May 22, 2009, 06:03 AM
I like the way you think... I do the same thing. You DO know that each card has two ports, right? You can run two monitors on one card.

The performance discrepancy between the cards is something to keep in mind. If you need to use both monitors for a professional program, you'll want to put them both on the GTX 285.

Yes I do know. Well, I use the Mac Pro basically for music production. Also I need it to render HD Videos (finalcut/imovie/after effects). Some times I play some games under Bootcamp. I think its not a bad idea to have a card for each monitor. I would only play games on one monitor (with the 285). I know the Mac pro is not a gaming machine, as I said primary for music work with double screens.. Also I don't think, that I can sell my GT120 for a good price, so I think it would be the best letting the card in the beast.

Tallest Skil
May 22, 2009, 06:18 AM
Yes I do know. Well, I use the Mac Pro basically for music production. Also I need it to render HD Videos (finalcut/imovie/after effects). Some times I play some games under Bootcamp. I think its not a bad idea to have a card for each monitor. I would only play games on one monitor (with the 285). I know the Mac pro is not a gaming machine, as I said primary for music work with double screens.. Also I don't think, that I can sell my GT120 for a good price, so I think it would be the best letting the card in the beast.

Games... Well, having two cards from nVidia might help, but when I play games, Windows 7 wigs out on me. I have to unplug one of the monitors for games to work properly (I have the 4870/GT 120 combo).

"Games" being The Orange Box, World In Conflict, and Hearts of Iron II.

matthew.russo
May 22, 2009, 06:45 AM
okey thanks !

Wouldn't really matter, the second card would come useful if you have to connect any additional monitors up.

sparkie7
May 22, 2009, 10:33 AM
nah, i went with the Apple 4870 regardless. might be a while before Apple actually releases their version. the piggy bank squealed and now i can see its ribs

Cindori
May 22, 2009, 12:10 PM
nah, i went with the Apple 4870 regardless. might be a while before Apple actually releases their version. the piggy bank squealed and now i can see its ribs

Apple version? There won't be any. It is EVGA who is making the Mac Version, and it is shipping in like 10 days.

sparkie7
May 22, 2009, 12:15 PM
Apple version? There won't be any. It is EVGA who is making the Mac Version, and it is shipping in like 10 days.

huh? yeah course its the mac version. thats why my piggy is looking raped. i walked into my local apple store and walked out with one.

one of these

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MB999ZM/A

dunno what you mean by the delays

Chad H
May 22, 2009, 01:32 PM
Well what about for intense gamers? I mean how much of a difference would you actually see from switching from the ATI to the new Nvidia? I play crysis, fear 2, left 4 dead. You know the normal GPU raping games. :)

Tesselator
May 22, 2009, 01:47 PM

OK, Thanks for that Strudel. So, then, for sure, I've never seen a cider game. :p

Cindori
May 22, 2009, 02:00 PM
huh? yeah course its the mac version. thats why my piggy is looking raped. i walked into my local apple store and walked out with one.

one of these

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MB999ZM/A

dunno what you mean by the delays

This thread is about GTX 285, and who is cancelling their Radeon 4870 for it.

You said "nah, i went with the Apple 4870 regardless, might be a while before Apple actually releases their version"

As if you meant that the GTX is far away.

Cindori
May 22, 2009, 02:05 PM
Well what about for intense gamers? I mean how much of a difference would you actually see from switching from the ATI to the new Nvidia? I play crysis, fear 2, left 4 dead. You know the normal GPU raping games. :)

The GTX 285 is on a higher level then the 4870. It is hard to find reviews of the cards versus each other. But yes, you will notice a big difference. More memory, faster clocks... and in Crysis, more compatibility.

kellen
May 22, 2009, 02:19 PM
Just got my 4870, going to keep it. Education discount, so it was only 314. Only :)

I do like the GTX 285 due to the dual dvi, not having to use a MDP connector. But at those prices its not worth it for me.

skyline r34
May 23, 2009, 12:18 AM
Do you guys think EVGA will include adapters to mini-display port so that we can use the LED Cinema displays with this 285 GTX

nutritious
May 23, 2009, 02:09 AM
honestly...for what most people do, a 4870 is fine. it's only like 12% slower. However, stock fan/heatsink cooling on the gtx 285 is much quieter than the 4870, so that is a plus...

grue
May 23, 2009, 06:24 AM
Do you guys think EVGA will include adapters to mini-display port so that we can use the LED Cinema displays with this 285 GTX

I'll bet my next year's salary that they will not.

Spanky Deluxe
May 23, 2009, 06:42 AM

No.

Tallest Skil
May 23, 2009, 08:35 AM

Absolutely not.

Oh, point of interest, I e-mailed CinemaView about their displays. You know, the ones who are releasing Mini DisplayPort displays sometime soon.

On their website, they claim that they will offer a DVI-Mini DisplayPort adapter. As in, the opposite of what Apple offers and for which everyone is clamoring.

I asked them if they had any idea if they knew what that meant, and they said that, yes, they were planning that adapter and that it wasn't a typo, and that, yes, they knew that it required its own power source.

This should be interesting. I can post a window capture of the e-mail if anyone wishes.

DeepCobalt
May 23, 2009, 09:04 AM
This should be interesting. I can post a window capture of the e-mail if anyone wishes.

Do it! I'd like to see it.

fjf
May 27, 2009, 08:15 AM

The description looks suspect - unless this is just for using on Windows on a Mac Pro?
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?EVG-285A

Topper
May 27, 2009, 09:36 AM
The GTX 285 is on a higher level then the 4870.

Absolutely no doubt about it.

It is hard to find reviews of the cards versus each other.

I can find plenty of reviews to back up your statement:
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/13847-evga-geforce-gtx-285-1gb-ssc-edition-review-18.html
http://www.cpu3d.com/review/6986-9/inno3d-geforce-gtx-285-overclock-1gb-ddr3/benchmarks-crysis-dx10.html
http://www.techpowerup.com/img/08-12-30/52d.jpg
http://techgage.com/article/evga_geforce_gtx_285_ssc_edition/4
http://www.techenclave.com/graphic-cards/crysis-benchmark-thread-112437.html
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3501&p=4
http://hothardware.com/printarticle.aspx?articleid=1263
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1715/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_285_graphics_card/index8.html
http://www.cpu3d.com/review/7015-9/asus-engtx285-top-geforce-gtx-285/benchmarks-crysis-dx10.html
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2009/01/16/nvidia-zotac-geforce-gtx-285-1gb/8
http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,673142/Geforce-GTX-285-reviewed/Reviews/?page=8
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=289&Itemid=72&limit=1&limitstart=8

Spanky Deluxe
May 27, 2009, 09:47 AM
Absolutely no doubt about it.

I can find plenty of reviews to back up your statement:
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/13847-evga-geforce-gtx-285-1gb-ssc-edition-review-18.html
http://www.cpu3d.com/review/6986-9/inno3d-geforce-gtx-285-overclock-1gb-ddr3/benchmarks-crysis-dx10.html
http://www.techpowerup.com/img/08-12-30/52d.jpg
http://techgage.com/article/evga_geforce_gtx_285_ssc_edition/4
http://www.techenclave.com/graphic-cards/crysis-benchmark-thread-112437.html
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3501&p=4
http://hothardware.com/printarticle.aspx?articleid=1263
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1715/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_285_graphics_card/index8.html
http://www.cpu3d.com/review/7015-9/asus-engtx285-top-geforce-gtx-285/benchmarks-crysis-dx10.html
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2009/01/16/nvidia-zotac-geforce-gtx-285-1gb/8
http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,673142/Geforce-GTX-285-reviewed/Reviews/?page=8
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=289&Itemid=72&limit=1&limitstart=8

Definitely true in the PC world but in the Mac world its not so definite. ATI's drivers have historically always been much better than nVidia's in OS X. So much so that weaker ATI cards have often performed better than stronger nVidia competition in OS X. Of course, nVidia could always spend the time and improve their drivers. I think I heard that 10.5.7 introduced better nVidia drivers but I don't know how much better they are.

ReallyRedCobra
May 27, 2009, 09:54 AM
I cant wait to find out that this won't ever work in my 1st gen Mac Pro:apple:

Heliconsoul
May 27, 2009, 09:55 AM
The description looks suspect - unless this is just for using on Windows on a Mac Pro?
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?EVG-285A

How much!? It's cheaper to import from OWC, even with VAT on top.

Tallest Skil
May 27, 2009, 10:00 AM
Do it! I'd like to see it.

Sure thing!

Topper
May 27, 2009, 10:01 AM
Definitely true in the PC world but in the Mac world its not so definite.

I am in agreement with you.
I should have made that stipulation in my post.

gugucom
May 27, 2009, 11:41 AM
From what I read at techpowerup the GTX 285 Mac Edition will be optimised for Snow Leopard. Would the 4870 have a similarly easy transition with 10.6?

The other thing that comes out of the tests is that the NVIDIA card runs considerably higher power under load. I suspect it will produce more noise as well.

thegaffer
May 28, 2009, 02:06 PM

No.

Since it seems the general consensus is that the 285 will NOT have a mini-display port...

honestly...for what most people do, a 4870 is fine. it's only like 12% slower. However, stock fan/heatsink cooling on the gtx 285 is much quieter than the 4870, so that is a plus...

...does anyone know if it is possible (power consumption, dongle availability off of the PSU etc) to configure a Mac Pro (current generation) with a single 4870 and two Geforce 120's so that you could have three mini-display ports... so I could someday fulfill my deep, dark, :apple:ultra-fanboy:apple: secret fantasy of running three 24" Apple LED Cinema Displays from one Mac Pro...?

Cindori
May 28, 2009, 02:26 PM
Yes it is indeed possible.

thegaffer
May 28, 2009, 02:46 PM
Yes it is indeed possible.

I just felt a great disturbance in my savings account, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

imacdaddy
Jun 5, 2009, 09:57 PM
So it's now June...is the GTX 285 out yet?

Cindori
Jun 5, 2009, 10:02 PM
What you really should be asking is, "is the rom out yet?"

skyline r34
Jun 5, 2009, 10:59 PM
Sure thing!

T.Skil do you think this cable that you speak of would work on Apple's LED Cinema with 285 GTX