PDA

View Full Version : Why wont my lacie drive work with my ibook?

markjones05
Apr 27, 2004, 01:28 PM
I have a lacie 120 gig drive that i use for backup and video editing. I tried to hook it up to my 466mhz g3 ibook today for the first time and it wouldnt work. The disk image just wont mount. Does anyone know why?

jeremy.king
Apr 27, 2004, 02:25 PM
Does Disk Utility see it? If so, perhaps you should format the drive.

JOD8FY
Apr 27, 2004, 02:55 PM
I was in a similar situation, but I figured it out. If Disk Utility recognizes it, then go into disk utility and select the lacie hard drive itself (not any volumes/partitions) in the column on the left. Then click the erase tab in the menu on the right. Then, give your hard drive a name, select Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) as the format and then - this is key - select the button that says "options". Select "ZERO ALL DATA" and then click ok. Then click erase on the main screen and you're all set.

By the way - this will take a very long time to complete. My 200GB hard drive took almost six hours to complete. It's well worth it though.

Good Luck,
JOD8FY

P.S. - This will mount it, format it, erase it and give it an image on your desktop.

markjones05
Apr 27, 2004, 03:10 PM
I was in a similar situation, but I figured it out. If Disk Utility recognizes it, then go into disk utility and select the lacie hard drive itself (not any volumes/partitions) in the column on the left. Then click the erase tab in the menu on the right. Then, give your hard drive a name, select Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) as the format and then - this is key - select the button that says "options". Select "ZERO ALL DATA" and then click ok. Then click erase on the main screen and you're all set.

By the way - this will take a very long time to complete. My 200GB hard drive took almost six hours to complete. It's well worth it though.

Good Luck,
JOD8FY

P.S. - This will mount it, format it, erase it and give it an image on your desktop.

Woah thats not exaclty the answer i was looking for. I have alot of backed up info on there that i cant erase. I also have panther installed on it so i can boot up my own desktop from the g4's and g5's in the labs at school. It always mounts no problem on all the other computers ive tried it on. Whats up with my ibook?

jeremy.king
Apr 27, 2004, 03:17 PM
What OS are you using on the iBook? EDIT: DUH, its in your sig.

I would still check if Disk Utility can "see" it.

nospleen
Apr 27, 2004, 03:23 PM
What OS are you using on the iBook?

Check out his sig. :D

jeremy.king
Apr 27, 2004, 03:25 PM
Check out his sig. :D

I saw that after I posted. der!

Another thought I had is to check your system profiler to see if the bus detected the drive? I know I had probs with a firewire DVD burner - when I conneted to my DP, the bus showed no devices connected. After updating the firmware on the burner and upgrading to 10.3.3, the bus detected the drive. Just a thought.