PDA

View Full Version : Question on using Apple Remote w/Mac Pro

HotPink
May 1, 2009, 12:25 PM
So, I have an Apple remote, and was going to buy the Manta TR1 IR receiver (http://twistedmelon.com/mira/hardware.html) from twistedmelon.com.

QUESTION: Do I need to buy the Mira software? All I want is the usual remote functions (FrontRow, etc.). Will the Mac Pro recognize the remote with just the IR recerver?

Thanks in advance!

Also, if anyone is using this product, how do you like it?

DeepCobalt
May 3, 2009, 03:03 PM
I'd like to know the answer to this as well... has anyone used this product before? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?:p

whatisthe
May 3, 2009, 03:05 PM
On that page it says this:

Requirements:
Available USB port
Mac OS X 10.4 or newer
Mira software

DeepCobalt
May 3, 2009, 08:03 PM
Then why do they sell the IR receiver separately? And incentivise you to get the receiver w/the Mira software bundled...???

4JNA
May 3, 2009, 08:40 PM
...Do I need to buy the Mira software? All I want is the usual remote functions (FrontRow, etc.). Will the Mac Pro recognize the remote with just the IR recerver?

that is the one thing you must buy. from the site:

Requirements

* Any Mac with USB
* Mac OS X 10.4 or newer
* Apple Remote or SiK Rex
* IR Receiver*

to get it to work, you need Mira and a 'supported' IR receiver. the manta, an old MCE thing you found in the dumpster, whatever is on their list...

the Mira software + any supported receiver + the apple remote you already have is the ticket.

i don't use it, but have a customer who loves and and won't quit talking about it and trying to talk me into it for whatever that's worth. best of luck.

UltraNEO*
May 3, 2009, 10:02 PM
Not all Macs feature an Apple Remote “in-the-box,” including the latest Mac Pro desktops.
Errr... but the MacPro never had support for the Apple Remote, by default nor was it ever included.

Anyway, what uses doe it offer of adding an IR remote to a Mac Pro?? I have it with my MacBook and I've never been tempted to use it.. They're all still in their boxes.

300D
May 4, 2009, 12:44 AM
An iPhone or Touch using bluetooth would be a better option.