Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
Hi all. Quick question regarding the warranty and the charger. It seems that the plastic is starting to crack and the wires are now exposed on my iPhone charger. Can I take it back to Apple for a replacement? I've had the phone since Feb. Also, since it's jailbroken, I obviously don't want them to see it so just wondering if they will just exchange the charger for me.

Thanks!!

M0bile

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
There was a recall a while ago for this problem. The casing of the wires split from where it plugs into the iPhone. I got mine through the mail, but I also got my MBP charger replaced via recall recently and I took it to the Apple store. All I needed was my serial number.

Anyone else's replacement USB cord splitting like the originals? Mine just did it again.

w3cum

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2008
bad cable

Apple has replaced mine twice now for the same thing. I walk in show them the cable and they hand me a new one. It always cracks in the same place, right where it plugs into the phone. At first the asked if I was pulling the cable from the phone by yanking on the cord, when I came back for the second one they told me about the recall. Good Luck

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
Thanks for the info. I googled the recall and mine has a green dot so it's supposed to be one of the updated ones. Plus the recall was for the prongs I guess, not the cord problem. I'll go to the Apple store tomorrow and see if they will exchange it anyway.

Thank you!!!

FXSpy

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2008
USB defect (crack problem) is still happening

I just bought my new iPhone 3GS and I was surprised that they haven't changed the usb cable manufacturer or maybe they're just depleting old usb charger inventories.

It still breaks/ cracks at the same spot, cable connecting to the iphone just right after the first rubber part 1/2 cm. It still splits and will expose the wires.

I thought it's just the iphone usb cables so i went and used my ipod nano cable and the same problem still occurred.

I'm very disappointed :mad: and will go to apple to have both replaced.

For those of you who haven't used the usb cable that much because you guys have a docking station/charger, I advice that you use the usb cable for a couple of days or even weeks just to make sure that it's not part of the defective usb cables.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.