PDA

View Full Version : Sirius XM iPhone App Due Within Weeks

MacRumors
May 6, 2009, 02:15 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/05/06/sirius-xm-iphone-app-due-within-weeks/)

The Wall Street Journal reports (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124156947988489865.html) on the upcoming launch of an iPhone application from satellite radio provider Sirius XM, which is reportedly due "in the next few weeks." While details of how Sirius XM service will be deployed on the iPhone are not yet known, it is assumed that a subscription fee will be required in order to access the music channels.The iPhone application likely will require purchasing a subscription, although Sirius XM has announced few details of how the plan will work. An estimated seven million people in the U.S. have iPhones, estimates Richard Klugman, an analyst at Majestic Research. Exposure for the Sirius service on the iTunes Store site of Apple Inc. could draw valuable attention from the gadget-loving crowd that flocks to the site.The article places the upcoming iPhone application release within the context of Sirius XM's larger market and describes how the landscape has changed for satellite radio as the iPod and iPhone have changed the way people listen to music.In releasing the new application, which will allow customers to stream satellite radio over their iPhones, Sirius XM appears to be tacitly conceding that the satellite-delivery system that once was cutting edge now has competition far beyond what its founders imagined. Sirius must prove it can hold its own in a world where cars have iPod jacks and phones can go online, allowing people to stream free music stations. And cars, where many people do most of their radio listening, are expected increasingly to have built-in Internet access.While satellite radio has gained popularity, particularly with the increased adoption of satellite radio-ready stereos in new automobiles, the challenges of running a profitable satellite radio service led to the merger of Sirius and XM last year and have driven Sirius XM to find new ways to add subscribers and reduce churn, something the new iPhone application appears designed to address.

Article Link: Sirius XM iPhone App Due Within Weeks (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/05/06/sirius-xm-iphone-app-due-within-weeks/)

deannnnn
May 6, 2009, 02:23 PM
THEY MERGED??
How did I not hear about that!?

DipDog3
May 6, 2009, 02:26 PM
THEY MERGED??
How did I not hear about that!?

Yea, if you had either XM or Sirius, you would know that.

I just want to know if they will be charging another separate monthly fee for the iPhone. They already charge separately to listen online & extra to get NFL if you are on XM. I am not paying even more!!

SomeTechGuy
May 6, 2009, 02:31 PM
Hmmm, sounds like the perfect app for the "in-app purchase" subscription feature coming to iPhone 3.0 firmware. That's probably why it'll be a "few more weeks".

smarch
May 6, 2009, 02:40 PM
WAHHHHHHHHHH but i want it nowwwwwww

evilyankeefan
May 6, 2009, 02:41 PM

I just want to know if they will be charging another separate monthly fee for the iPhone. They already charge separately to listen online & extra to get NFL if you are on XM. I am not paying even more!!

I'm thinking if you already pay for online you will get access with the iPhone app. Makes no sense to double dip as if you have to you could always cancel the other. I too am anxious for this to come around.

williej81
May 6, 2009, 02:50 PM
I'm thinking if you already pay for online you will get access with the iPhone app. Makes no sense to double dip as if you have to you could always cancel the other. I too am anxious for this to come around.

You don't know XM/Sirius apparently.

rdowns
May 6, 2009, 02:59 PM
My free 3 months (from buying new car) was up and I opted to go month to month as I am not in the car much. I paid them way too much for last car and didn't listen much. Month to month costs like 12 or 13 bucks.

Two days later, I get a postcard offering month to month for 6 months for 5 bucks a month. Only took an hour on the phone to get them to honor the price. :rolleyes:

I don't see me paying another monthly fee for iPhone access.

aidricksdad
May 6, 2009, 03:02 PM
you can listen to sirius right now if you buy pocket tunes from the app store and it works great

smarch
May 6, 2009, 03:14 PM
you can listen to sirius right now if you buy pocket tunes from the app store and it works great

oh wow. didn't catch this. That's pretty sweet. I'm guessing you have to do that log-in procedure every time?

ArtursBoy
May 6, 2009, 03:30 PM
I somehow don't see XM Sirius start making money anytime soon. I used to have Sirius before the merge, and was fine with it, after the merge, they changed the programming, cancelled some of my favorite channels (I guess I liked the not so popular ones?) and found myself listening to Pandora, AOL Radio, Slacker or FlyCast more and more often on my car thru my iPhone. It's been a couple months since I cancelled and I'm glad I did.

The idea of them charging to allow people to listen to music when there are other (better in my opinion) free alternatives somehow just doesn't make too much sense to me. I mean, Slacker or FlyCast, or any other online radio station have way more variety, and the fact that they allow to skip songs on most of them and "learn" your musical taste is much more appealing to me than having a monthly fee and in some cases, putting up with DJ's on some stations.

I could be wrong, but I just dont see this app being a significant source of revenue for them.

ArtursBoy
May 6, 2009, 03:43 PM

Oh and by the way, SIRIUS XM has been available on other smartphones, and even regular phones for quite a while now, and it in fact is a separate subscription from your car/home setup. I bet it will be a similar case for the iPhone app, but to make it appealing they might link it to the iTunes Music store or something to allow you to purchase the song there, just how the other online radio apps do.

luv2hum
May 6, 2009, 03:44 PM
the real question will be can you run the app in the background while doing other things, as opposed to alll the other radio apps which its either only run thier app or dont listen to radio

dwd3885
May 6, 2009, 04:00 PM
This is great...If I can get the stations like Fox News, CNN, NFL Network and ESPN Radio

SolRayz
May 6, 2009, 04:11 PM
I somehow don't see XM Sirius start making money anytime soon. I used to have Sirius before the merge, and was fine with it, after the merge, they changed the programming, cancelled some of my favorite channels (I guess I liked the not so popular ones?) and found myself listening to Pandora, AOL Radio, Slacker or FlyCast more and more often on my car thru my iPhone. It's been a couple months since I cancelled and I'm glad I did.

The idea of them charging to allow people to listen to music when there are other (better in my opinion) free alternatives somehow just doesn't make too much sense to me. I mean, Slacker or FlyCast, or any other online radio station have way more variety, and the fact that they allow to skip songs on most of them and "learn" your musical taste is much more appealing to me than having a monthly fee and in some cases, putting up with DJ's on some stations.

I could be wrong, but I just dont see this app being a significant source of revenue for them.

You make a real good point about the multitude of other free options online. I fear that as phone/internet technology progresses, satellite radio may become obsolete before it really has a chance to break out into the mainstream.

aidricksdad
May 6, 2009, 04:28 PM
oh wow. didn't catch this. That's pretty sweet. I'm guessing you have to do that log-in procedure every time?

NOPE just save a station as a favorite and it does it all for you.....easy as pumpkin pie on christmas in mexico on a sunday with a stranger who is blind

verks
May 6, 2009, 04:28 PM
This is great...If I can get the stations like Fox News, CNN, NFL Network and ESPN Radio

Fox, CNN and ESPN are not available through streaming. NFL is. By the way, Pockets Tunes works great. The built in browser logs you in through the Sirius media player and then you can save channels through the favorites option. If they charge for the app I'm sticking with PT.

dwd3885
May 6, 2009, 04:56 PM
Fox, CNN and ESPN are not available through streaming. NFL is. By the way, Pockets Tunes works great. The built in browser logs you in through the Sirius media player and then you can save channels through the favorites option. If they charge for the app I'm sticking with PT.

Right. So it's not as cool. I wish Fox, CNN and ESPN were available via streaming

Chupa Chupa
May 6, 2009, 05:00 PM
Is it just me or is a Sirius/XM app something that would have been great on the first iPods but kind of passe now. With Pandora and other radio apps who really needs Sirius/XM and now with the MLB app you can get baseball too. With most of Sirius/XM's "unique" stations like news, etc blacked out I don't really see the point unless you already subscribe. I don't think the app will encourage non-subs to subscribe.

anubis
May 6, 2009, 05:04 PM
I haggled my way into a 1-year XM subscription for my car for $77 about 3 years ago. I listened to it quite a bit, but MY GOD the sound quality sucks. Everyone I've ever asked about it said they thought it sounded fine, which leads me to believe most people either have significant hearing loss or are the same kind of people who think the white iPod earbuds also sound fine. XM and Sirius streams are 56kbit. Have you ever listened to a 56kbit sound file? 96kbit is marginal at best... 128kbit is the minimum acceptable bit rate for music to sound even remotely good for me.

I cancelled my subscription after a year and bought an aftermarket iPod/iPhone interface for my stereo.

smarch
May 6, 2009, 05:11 PM

This is ridiculous. I spent the $10 bucks on the app and then i go to try it out and it won't work? Why? Apparently Sirius dropped internet streaming as a free service for subscribers. I just ignore all their dumb emails so I guess I missed when this happened. It's complete bull. I've been paying for Sirius for 3 years. I only got Sirius to listen to Stern. The music channels are borderline terrible. I'm constantly getting choppy reception in my car, so I don't even listen to stern there (I've been downloading the shows and listening on my phone). I figured I'll keep paying for service because I don't want to be a freeloader and also, this way I'll be all set when an Iphone app comes out too. EHHHH. WRONG. SIRIUS IS BULL. They're as bad as the ***** cable companies with this policy of jacking up the prices and then giving good deals to anybody that threatens to cancel. Just sell a ***** product for a price. The world has to stop rewarding busy-bodies who got nothing better to do than call customer service lines.

aidricksdad
May 6, 2009, 05:23 PM
This is ridiculous. I spent the $10 bucks on the app and then i go to try it out and it won't work? Why? Apparently Sirius dropped internet streaming as a free service for subscribers. I just ignore all their dumb emails so I guess I missed when this happened. It's complete bull. I've been paying for Sirius for 3 years. I only got Sirius to listen to Stern. The music channels are borderline terrible. I'm constantly getting choppy reception in my car, so I don't even listen to stern there (I've been downloading the shows and listening on my phone). I figured I'll keep paying for service because I don't want to be a freeloader and also, this way I'll be all set when an Iphone app comes out too. EHHHH. WRONG. SIRIUS IS BULL. They're as bad as the ***** cable companies with this policy of jacking up the prices and then giving good deals to anybody that threatens to cancel. Just sell a ***** product for a price. The world has to stop rewarding busy-bodies who got nothing better to do than call customer service lines.

chill out man they were going bankrupt and had to do something.....some dude came in and helped them out but that was only short term....stern sucks anyway

DMann
May 6, 2009, 06:09 PM
I don't see me paying another monthly fee for iPhone access.Let's hope they offer a 3 month free incentive when the app is introduced. In the meantime, AOL Radio, Pandora, Slacker and FlyCast are free, (Pockets Tune Radio, .99) and work really well over 3G, as well as Wi-Fi.

The Joker
May 6, 2009, 07:00 PM
I would assume if you pay for the online listening at 3 bucks a month....then that will also cover the iphone app...

DMann
May 6, 2009, 07:11 PM
I would assume if you pay for the online listening at 3 bucks a month....then that will also cover the iphone app...One would certainly hope!

websyndicate
May 6, 2009, 07:49 PM
They have burned their bridge with me. I'm never going back to them. I'm happy without that bill and btw I only really like Leo Leporte anyways only reason I kept it for so long

semlohde
May 6, 2009, 08:06 PM
I got Pocket Tunes and it streams Sirius just fine. When I "came back" I bought 6 months and my on-line is covered through then. After it will cost a few bucks to get the "higher quality" and if you want to stream online ya gotta have it. As for being ready in a few weeks. I sure hope the idiots checking this out aren't the ones doing it for Sling Media!!! You better hope the ones approving ifart and that baby slinging one, that were approved in 5 minutes, are working on the Sirius xm one. Yeh, they need to dump stern and recoup some money there - what an idiot.

rigodamdiculous
May 6, 2009, 08:26 PM
Right. So it's not as cool. I wish Fox, CNN and ESPN were available via streaming

CNN now streams and works through PT.
There's also NPR and BBC.
No Fox/Espn though.

tuhoops
May 6, 2009, 08:40 PM
You can stream ESPN radio (plus many others) through the Ootunes or Wunder Radio apps - both are pretty good apps to stream news / talk / sports stations

BoozeRob
May 6, 2009, 08:50 PM
I'm constantly getting choppy reception in my car, so I don't even listen to stern there (I've been downloading the shows and listening on my phone). .

Whoa where can you do that? I want to download today's show.... the stutter fight was hilarious.

richmonddjs
May 6, 2009, 09:03 PM
I use orb to listen to my Sirius subscription. never had a problem with it.

wooo
May 6, 2009, 09:11 PM
You can stream ESPN radio (plus many others) through the Ootunes or Wunder Radio apps - both are pretty good apps to stream news / talk / sports stations

Just thought I'd mention that ooTunes Radio can play XM online if you have a subscription.. and it's less than half the price of Pocket Tunes (and IMHBTBO) it looks quite a bit more lovely..

IMHBTBO = IMH(but totally biased)O
... see my signature...

Excellerator
May 6, 2009, 09:21 PM
the real question will be can you run the app in the background while doing other things, as opposed to alll the other radio apps which its either only run thier app or dont listen to radio

Thats something you can blame :apple: for, not the apps.

jecapaga
May 6, 2009, 10:15 PM
I haggled my way into a 1-year XM subscription for my car for $77 about 3 years ago. I listened to it quite a bit, but MY GOD the sound quality sucks. Everyone I've ever asked about it said they thought it sounded fine, which leads me to believe most people either have significant hearing loss or are the same kind of people who think the white iPod earbuds also sound fine. XM and Sirius streams are 56kbit. Have you ever listened to a 56kbit sound file? 96kbit is marginal at best... 128kbit is the minimum acceptable bit rate for music to sound even remotely good for me.

I cancelled my subscription after a year and bought an aftermarket iPod/iPhone interface for my stereo.

I completely agree. I bought Sirius and was shocked at how crappy the quality is...especially noticeable in the high end. I don't even bother listening to music anymore on Sirius because of this and only listen to Stern.

colonels1020
May 6, 2009, 10:25 PM
A Sirius app would be great and all but...

I'm just still waiting for the Hulu app. :)

jw2002
May 6, 2009, 10:44 PM
Is it just me or is a Sirius/XM app something that would have been great on the first iPods but kind of passe now.

Bingo. The sun is setting on Xm/Sirius. They should have been out in front of this no later than a week after the first iphones hit the market. It's now pushing 2 years, and there is still no product? In the mean time consumers have moved on, and satellite radio is becoming an afterthought.

wooo
May 6, 2009, 10:45 PM
Thats something you can blame :apple: for, not the apps.

It's indeed apple's decision but there are at least 2 workarounds... 1) is jailbreak and run an app called backgrounder, 2) is using ooTunes with the $20 server. See a demo of that here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZVIBsWCHCc&feature=channel_page

It's not quite working yet with XM radio through ooTunes yet, I think the problem is the streams are locked to the IP address of the iPhone and when it gets passed to the server (which has a different ip) it doesn't work... but I'm investigating that/working on a fix. It works for just about everything else though, music, videos (background doesn't matter as much there) and almost all the rest of the radio streams...

The irony of it is that it uses apple's own safari app (which of course CAN and DOES keep running in the background).

Again, disclaimer, I'm advertising here, but it's relevant to the thread...

ryanw
May 6, 2009, 11:13 PM
This might be the kicker to finally get me to sign up to Sirius XM, as long as it's not $15.00 for the app and $12.95 a month for the account. Maybe if it was $35.00 for the whole year.

bobbleheadbob
May 7, 2009, 04:50 AM
Hey now, Howard Stern on my iPhone...YES!! It's about time. Baba booey!

phineas
May 7, 2009, 05:06 AM

I just renewed my contract, and the online is FREE there must be extra channels your paying for? And if you think about it, if the iphone can be place in a position to receive just as well and you use the output to your in or BT in on your vehicle you could just switch the id number over and only pay for one subscription. There prices are ridiculous

crackermac
May 7, 2009, 07:13 AM
I just canceled my subscription two days ago. With the recent price hikes and the programming changes, I decided it just wasn't worth it any more to have 3 radios on my account. I can only imagine they will nickle and dime for this app too. I tried to see if I could change to the 'al a carte' pricing model as there are only a few channels that I listen to, but unfortunately none of my radios qualified. My 15 minute commute to work and only the occasional road trip just doesn't justify it anymore. My music library and podcasts work well enough for me.

I guess now I'll pay more attention to the local news/events listening to FM too.

phineas
May 7, 2009, 07:40 AM
I know when I renewed I told the woman, that I wanted a set of certain channels and she said that because I did NOT have there radio, that I would have to go with all of them, but if I bought there radio than I could do it. I did get a reduced rate because it was my first renewal, but more than likely I will NOT renew again.

I used to listen to the Patriot channel all the time but for the most part all of them are on the net or reachable through AOL radio, only one that wasnt was Wilkow, and I got tired of his whining and crying fast.

Sorry didn't mean to go off on a rant, after renewing we decided to make this the last renewal , I got a year free with my new vehicle purchase, and some of the channels are really good but I can also find the same thing on local FM also.

janstett
May 7, 2009, 08:30 AM
You make a real good point about the multitude of other free options online. I fear that as phone/internet technology progresses, satellite radio may become obsolete before it really has a chance to break out into the mainstream.

That's why the talent and programming are what's important -- Howard Stern, O&A, NFL, MLB, Nascrap, etc. Unfortunately I don't think they have the rights to broadcast actual NFL/MLB/NBA/NHL games over the internet only on Satellite.

janstett
May 7, 2009, 08:32 AM

XM's sound quality has always been horrible. I don't know what CODEC they use in the satellite streaming, but it's definitely low bitrate. Sirius is better.

But the "premium internet" option on Sirius is the best, they give you 128k which is better than the satellite feed. It seems to be WMA.

janstett
May 7, 2009, 08:36 AM
Hey now, Howard Stern on my iPhone...YES!! It's about time. Baba booey!

I subscribe to Sirius, but I'm getting fed up. So much so that I want to SHOUT about the situation they have CAST me in, to consider just getting Stern on the iPhone for free, it makes me (P)irate!

wooo
May 7, 2009, 10:14 AM
I subscribe to Sirius, but I'm getting fed up. So much so that I want to SHOUT about the situation they have CAST me in, to consider just getting Stern on the iPhone for free, it makes me (P)irate!

My goodness, thanks for that! Just added it to the DB list of stations... and to think it was there all along (you can play any of the SC streams from ooTunes already...)

http://ootunes.com/stations/howardstern

KidStallyn
May 7, 2009, 10:53 AM
A Sirius app would be great and all but...

I'm just still waiting for the Hulu app. :)

Stern need to get off the anti-iphone bandwagon and realize that he NEEDS the iPhone and to push the hell out of it on his show when the App comes out......

deannnnn
May 7, 2009, 12:17 PM

lol, I live in New York City, what would I need satellite radio for?

slu
May 7, 2009, 12:37 PM
I just canceled my subscription two days ago. With the recent price hikes and the programming changes, I decided it just wasn't worth it any more to have 3 radios on my account. I can only imagine they will nickle and dime for this app too. I tried to see if I could change to the 'al a carte' pricing model as there are only a few channels that I listen to, but unfortunately none of my radios qualified. My 15 minute commute to work and only the occasional road trip just doesn't justify it anymore. My music library and podcasts work well enough for me.

I guess now I'll pay more attention to the local news/events listening to FM too.

This is the exact same situation I am in. I am about to cancel after having Sirius for 3 years. But when I started taking public transportation to work I find I am just not listening enough to justify it. Had I not paid for the year in advance, I would have already quit. The nickel and diming stuff really grinds my gears. They said no price hike, which is true. You just get less for the same price now. Gee thanks! And there is no way this app is free. And I would be surprised if there isn't another monthly fee on top of the monthly streaming fee.

I am convinced they are going out of business. They pay way too much for content that does not attract subscribers. Does anyone get Sirius because Martha Stewart has a show? Or Bam Margera? Or Jamie Foxx? Like Stern or not, he at least got people to sign up. The rest of these people just steal money. And their infrastructure costs are just too high to compete with Pandora, Slacker, etc. I mean the MLB app is 10 bucks for every game all year. To get this on Sirius, I would need to pay like 7 bucks a month for the best of XM. I wonder which one I am going to pick? And Mel hasn't clue...

kevblack
May 7, 2009, 12:46 PM
NOPE just save a station as a favorite and it does it all for you.....easy as pumpkin pie on christmas in mexico on a sunday with a stranger who is blind

Not for me. I have to re log in every few times i run the app. What am I doing wrong. I saved it as a favorite and everything.

iSaga
May 7, 2009, 01:38 PM
I think the 12.95 a month is worth it just for Stern and the NFL Network. I would imagine this app is free and there won't be any extra cost other than the online subscription.

Eric S.
May 7, 2009, 02:06 PM
I think the 12.95 a month is worth it just for Stern and the NFL Network.

And I would say it's worth it for Bob Dylan and MLB. ;)

Gonzo3333
May 8, 2009, 06:40 AM
Has anyone tried the MLB app? I bought it from the App Store a day or two after it was released in early April for $9.99. You can get streaming game day audio from both the home team and the away team (I listen to Ron Santo and Pat Hughes on WGN). It works 96% of the time and really drains the battery when you are streaming it over 3G. You can also get video highlights, stats, game times, pitch by pith, for every team and every game. I think I remember an ad last year for XM with David Ortiz and Derek Jeter saying the same thing. Anyway, I think the $9.99 for the whole season is a bargin compared to what XM or Sirus charge for service.

Maybe Howard Stern could get an app for the iPhone rather than forcing people to pay for n XM subscription.

janstett
May 8, 2009, 08:45 AM
lol, I live in New York City, what would I need satellite radio for?

LOL, you realize SiriusXM is headquartered in NYC?

The point is to get commercial-free music and music you can't hear on the AM/FM dial. I personally hate country but I have two brothers-in-law who like it. There are 0 country stations on the NY market, there are 4 or 5 on Sirius XM. Both services have more than a hundred channels, all kinds of stuff there. Music. Sports. Talk. Comedy. I mean, for example, I'm a big Giants fan and do you realize there is no sports station in NYC that talks about the Giants? You've got WFAN which is all Mutts/Jets talk and ESPN which is all national hosts. I'd rather listen to the NFL Channel on SiriusXM where at least they do talk about the Giants when it's relevant since Bob Papa and Carl Banks are hosts. And Bob Papa's morning show is an A+.

There are almost 0 rock stations in NYC, I can only think of possibly two I would listen to (and one of those is out of NJ), WDHA and Q104. Meanwhile there are 20+ rock stations of all kinds of genres on sat rad. Classic rock. Punk. New wave. Heavy Metal. Grunge. Alternative.

I've recently started listening to blues. Where can I hear blues on the NYC dial? 74 on SiriusXM.

I have older family members who like Sinatra-type stuff. Can't find that on the NYC radio dial anymore since WNEW-AM went all news. Got it on Sirius. (My 80 year old aunt doesn't appreciate my Rob Zombie).

My older sister-in-law loves 50's stuff. WCBS was the only place to get it, then they went top 40, then switched "back" but they aren't playing the same stuff she used to, so she's orphaned for that kind of music. Sirius Hits Gold plays it.

If you were in to Opie & Anthony, they are no longer on the air in NYC since K-Rock became teenie-bopper 92.3 Now. Howard Stern went satellite in 2006. Both are only available on sat rad.

I like discovering new music, and sat rad is a godsend for that.

Now granted the music playlists are too tight, but it's a great source of music you can't get on the air anymore and it's commercial free.

If you ever take a long car trip, you'll discover a hard time listening to the am/fm radio because the stations keep fading in and out and changing from market to market -- while with Sat Rad I can listen to the same station, uninterrupted, coast to coast. And the signal is digital so no static and it is better than FM quality (at least Sirius is).

Still LOL'ing? You can get 3 free days listening to the internet feed to decide for yourself if there's anything you like there.

kingtj
May 8, 2009, 10:28 AM
Sirius / XM customer service that answers their phones to take orders gets paid on commission. Therefore, they have the full published retail price for their services, various special offers floating around, plus some flexibility for them to give you better pricing if they think you're about to hang up and not pay for the service at all.

There's a code they published for a long time, "ZWINBACK", that was supposed to be mailed out to existing subscribers who decided not to renew when their contracts ran out. It gets you a full year of service for $77.00. On top of that, they usually offer to knock another $10 off if you agree to let them keep your credit card number on file, for auto-renewal purposes.

To this day, people say they're having luck getting that price honored if they call and claim they "have a letter advertising the $77 deal". Half the phone reps will tell you "Sorry, that's expired." but calling back and trying again finally gets you a rep who will do it, rather than not make a sale at all. That even goes for some NEW subscribers out there.

My free 3 months (from buying new car) was up and I opted to go month to month as I am not in the car much. I paid them way too much for last car and didn't listen much. Month to month costs like 12 or 13 bucks.

Two days later, I get a postcard offering month to month for 6 months for 5 bucks a month. Only took an hour on the phone to get them to honor the price. :rolleyes:

I don't see me paying another monthly fee for iPhone access.

kingtj
May 8, 2009, 10:39 AM
I agree too! I actually don't find many people who think sat. radio's sound quality is "good". Most admit that it's bad.... If you're primarily listening to stand-up comedy skits, talk shows like Howard Stern, or the ball-games, it probably doesn't really matter much.

But I'm more of a music listener myself, and in my new car with the "premium stereo" in it, the satellite radio sound quality stinks. Everything has that slightly "digitized" tinge to the audio, like you hear when you have a poor bitrate MP3. Sometimes a DJ will come on and talk between songs, and you can even hear it in their voice ... that sound like they're talking through a tin can or something.

Not only that, but I get just enough random "hiccups" in the audio when driving around that it's annoying. It's a relatively minor issue, but the satellite signal seems to be just a bit too "fragile" to get a perfect, dropout free connection all the time while you drive around a city.

XM's sound quality has always been horrible. I don't know what CODEC they use in the satellite streaming, but it's definitely low bitrate. Sirius is better.

But the "premium internet" option on Sirius is the best, they give you 128k which is better than the satellite feed. It seems to be WMA.

volntitan
May 8, 2009, 11:31 AM
I have pocket tunes, but have never been able to get the Sirius log-in to work.

pro2010
May 8, 2009, 02:51 PM
This is kinda confusing. I pay $14 or so a month for my car unit and recently bought a $40 kit to listen in home so I don't have to pay an extra $2.99 a month : )

But it wouldn't be fair to get off scotch free just because you have an iPhone, though it also wouldn't be fair to pay extra if you are already a subscriber like myself. To say the iPhone could replace the actual unit is likely so a 12.99 subscription should be present.

But to see how Sirius removed the free internet stream (abysmal quality) to get people to upgrade to 2.99 it doesn't surprise me that they will charge a high fee for the iphone.

bbotte
May 12, 2009, 12:58 PM
So you all think Sirius is going to charge another monthly fee to listen on your iPhone? I already have the 2.99 fee for the 128k stream on the net. So another fee on top of that?

I was thinking they will just charge for the app when I purchase it in the app Store.

vassillios
May 14, 2009, 03:44 PM
So you all think Sirius is going to charge another monthly fee to listen on your iPhone? I already have the 2.99 fee for the 128k stream on the net. So another fee on top of that?

I was thinking they will just charge for the app when I purchase it in the app Store.

They have already stated they are charging you pay to listen online (ie. iPhone). And I AM paying right now. If you no pay, you no can log on online to listen.

bobbleheadbob
May 15, 2009, 07:27 AM
I know it's only been a couple weeks, but we're still waiting for this. What's the hold up? I'm really looking forward to being able to listen to Howard Stern or the NFL Network where ever I go.

On a side note, I've bee using Rogue Amoeba's Pulsar app for a few months and really like it. Too bad they can't put that app on the iPhone.

bbotte
May 27, 2009, 12:44 PM
Where's the Beef?

janstett
May 28, 2009, 07:46 AM
Where's the Beef?

Agreed. I wonder if the summer intern writing the app was fired. I just wish we could have had StarPlayr in the first place.

Superman07
May 28, 2009, 08:16 AM
They have already stated they are charging you pay to listen online (ie. iPhone). And I AM paying right now. If you no pay, you no can log on online to listen.

I don't think that's what he was saying/asking. My interpretation was:

Radio: $11.95
Online: $2.99
iProduct: $2.99 (???)

I'd like to think that if you're paying $2.99 for online access you wouldn't need to pay extra, or seperate, for iPhone/iPod access. If you pay $2.99 you can still access the stream from devices like Sonos, correct?

I assume you all saw this?

http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/screenshot-of-sirius-xm-iphone-app-revealed.html

The shopping cart feature could be very interesting if it takes you to the iTMS to buy a song that you have tagged.

tempusfugit
May 28, 2009, 03:20 PM
if MLB is one of the main reasons a person would want the sirius/xm app I implore you to purchase the aforementioned MLB at bat 2009 app. So much better...

The only reason I could see someone getting the xm app is if they have a subscription already. I wouldn't get it if I didn't have one (which i don't)

Pandora and MLB at bat FTW

Metsfan7450
May 28, 2009, 04:17 PM
if MLB is one of the main reasons a person would want the sirius/xm app I implore you to purchase the aforementioned MLB at bat 2009 app. So much better...

The only reason I could see someone getting the xm app is if they have a subscription already. I wouldn't get it if I didn't have one (which i don't)

Pandora and MLB at bat FTW

I thought this app would only include the stations available through the internet (ie music stations, Stern, etc). This app isn't supposed to include MLB games, NFL games, ESPN radio, etc, right?

verks
May 28, 2009, 04:34 PM
I thought this app would only include the stations available through the internet (ie music stations, Stern, etc). This app isn't supposed to include MLB games, NFL games, ESPN radio, etc, right?

Correct!

knewt5
Jun 7, 2009, 05:50 AM
[QUOTE=smarch;7577998] I've been paying for Sirius for 3 years. I only got Sirius to listen to Stern. The music channels are borderline terrible. I'm constantly getting choppy reception in my car, so I don't even listen to stern there (I've been downloading the shows and listening on my phone). QUOTE]

How are you downloading the Stern Show?

janstett
Jun 8, 2009, 08:35 AM
How are you downloading the Stern Show?

I don't want to get the site in trouble, but add ".tw" to one of the most obvious places to go including the .com so it will be .com.tw.

You should guess this within three tries.

Also I want to SHOUT at you without CASTing you as a PIRATE.

janstett
Jun 8, 2009, 08:38 AM
Also I forget the site so I can't post a link, but Mel Karmisan had a blurry picture in a PowerPoint of the upcoming iPhone app. It has a purchase basket at the bottom so it's logical to conlcude they are waiting for OS 3.0 which includes these app-specific stores. Although in this case I'd assume it's a link to buy the song on iTunes.

janstett
Jun 8, 2009, 08:57 AM
And finally the Sirius internet feed is down this morning (though I can still get internet on the Stiletto). And on the day of WWDC too, interesting...

Superman07
Jun 8, 2009, 09:03 AM
I think it would be a big boost for Sirius if Mel came out at WWDC today to showcase the new application.

nickels
Jun 8, 2009, 10:08 AM
Thank god for Pocket Tunes, as this official app is taking a lifetime to get into the store. From all I've heard the Sirius XM app is going to be free. You need a subscription to use the service though. You'll probably get a login screen (like facebook) when you install it. The sub fee for internet only is $12.95/month.

PsyD4Me
Jun 10, 2009, 11:05 PM
Has anyone else noticed that you can't access the 64k stream anymore via PocketTunes (IPhone) or Sirius Mac for the Mac OS X?

all i get is 32k, this makes me believe that they have capped the speed for the launch of the Iphone app.

big samm
Jun 11, 2009, 08:38 AM
Has anyone else noticed that you can't access the 64k stream anymore via PocketTunes (IPhone) or Sirius Mac for the Mac OS X?

all i get is 32k, this makes me believe that they have capped the speed for the launch of the Iphone app.

I can stream at 128k no problem....the problem i have i can't seem to stream shade45 on 3g...it only works via wifi anyone else have this problem?

kjl451
Jun 12, 2009, 05:39 PM
FINALLY!! i missed streaming on my old blackjack. can't wait for this to roll out

PhixionFilms
Jun 14, 2009, 12:11 AM
I thought they went out of business?

diamondcutter
Jun 15, 2009, 04:24 PM
Just spoke to xm rep on phone and he said that according to the info on his system, that the siriusxm app will be in the appstore on thursday for 2.99. If you already have a premium subscription you will not be charged extra to listen online via iphone or ipod touch. About freak'en time!!!! I think they were waiting for the 3.0 rollout.

Superman07
Jun 15, 2009, 04:26 PM
I assume you mean $2.99 extra to access the stream through the application, rather than $2.99 FOR the application?

SIUGRAD99
Jun 15, 2009, 08:00 PM
I hope this information is accurate. I was getting very close to cancelling my subscription because I only listen in my car, but with this app it is worth keeping.

HD303
Jun 15, 2009, 11:42 PM
Pandora = FREE

Darthzilla
Jun 16, 2009, 01:52 AM
Pandora = No Howard...which is really what this thread is about.

Lets hope Thursday is actually the day.

SpaceKitty
Jun 16, 2009, 02:52 AM

It's not all about Howard. There are other shows such as Opie & Anthony, Ron & Fez as well as all the commercial free music.

diamondcutter
Jun 16, 2009, 04:58 AM
The Siriusxm rep defintley said 2.99 for the app itself. I didn't ask how much an online subscription would be due to the fact that he said if I already have a premium subscription, access through the app would not cost me any extra.

aandf1978
Jun 16, 2009, 05:08 AM
great when is it going to be released that is the real and next question!!

clborden
Jun 16, 2009, 05:21 AM
If you listen on line already, then you're already paying an extra $2.99. So I'd imagine that after you buy the app, that should be it.

diamondcutter
Jun 16, 2009, 07:39 AM
The info is good. The rep got it straight out of his system. He said it should hit the app store on Thursday, June 18th. So I guess we just wait and see what happens in a couple of days. I am as anxious as the next guy. This is a service that is long overdue and could possibly be a vehicle to turn the company around.

janstett
Jun 16, 2009, 08:42 AM
Just spoke to xm rep on phone and he said that according to the info on his system, that the siriusxm app will be in the appstore on thursday for 2.99. If you already have a premium subscription you will not be charged extra to listen online via iphone or ipod touch. About freak'en time!!!! I think they were waiting for the 3.0 rollout.

There was a leaked photo from a Mel Karmisan powerpoint presentation and it showed a shopping cart in the app. This is a new feature of OS 3.0.

I can't wait until Thursday!

janstett
Jun 16, 2009, 08:45 AM
It's not all about Howard. There are other shows such as Opie & Anthony, Ron & Fez as well as all the commercial free music.

Yes, there's lots else on Sirius/XM. However, people were able to get O&A for free on FM and their ratings were abysmal. O&A are going to be podcasting from their basements at this rate.

I'm a little tired of Stern's act, but let's face it -- he's the reason Satellite radio is still alive. Not Oafrah, not O&A, not Nascrap, not Mothra Stewad. And unfortunately the music is getting worse and worse the compression, station consolidation between Sirius and XM, and horrible programming.

janstett
Jun 16, 2009, 08:55 AM
Pandora = FREE

So is humming to yourself.

KidStallyn
Jun 16, 2009, 12:00 PM
Why is this such a big deal......I stream Howard on my iPhone using OrbLive and mycast.orb.com every single day already.....It's nothing that I really need to spend extra money on.....

janstett
Jun 16, 2009, 11:39 PM
Why is this such a big deal......I stream Howard on my iPhone using OrbLive and mycast.orb.com every single day already.....It's nothing that I really need to spend extra money on.....

No dependence on a PC running at home 24/7 (and there is no Orb software for the Mac)

Plus if Orb works anything like PocketTunes, the station list is awkward to use, you have to keep re-logging on to the web interface on your mobile device, and it doesn't display the current song info (aka whatever ridiculous text Sal is typing on the display)

gadgetdad
Jun 17, 2009, 11:03 AM

I listen just fine with the Pocket Tunes app. Stream O&A, R&F and every other XM station. I hear it works with Sirius if you must listen to Howard.

vassillios
Jun 17, 2009, 11:16 AM
I listen just fine with the Pocket Tunes app. Stream O&A, R&F and every other XM station. I hear it works with Sirius if you must listen to Howard.

I keep getting drop outs with pocket tunes...sometimes it can't even recover and sits in an endless loop of trying to log back in.

Rob Mclovin
Jun 17, 2009, 11:17 AM

Pandora= No Opie And Anthony.

SpaceKitty
Jun 17, 2009, 11:38 AM
I keep getting drop outs with pocket tunes...sometimes it can't even recover and sits in an endless loop of trying to log back in.

The Sirius/XM app would be the same way. If the phone is having trouble getting the 3G or any signal, this will happen.

stlredbird
Jun 17, 2009, 12:16 PM

I knew I loved Pandora for some reason. :apple:

richmonddjs
Jun 17, 2009, 12:48 PM
DITTO!

Darthzilla
Jun 18, 2009, 01:17 AM
ITS FINALLY HERE !

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=317951436&mt=8

downloading now and checking it out in a few...

I'm shocked this has happedned.

UPDATE :
Downloaded and tried to log in...says i have a basic account ( dont...i can stream internet ) ...so somethings up....

UPDATE 2 :
This is from the sirius.com/oniphone site...

"Some select programming, including MLB® Play-by-Play, NFL Play-by-Play, SIRIUS NASCAR® Radio, and Howard Stern, will not be available on the iPhone and iPod touch. Listeners will continue to be able to access that programming through the platforms they are currently offered on."

and with that Sirius just ***** the bed bigtime...Holy crap...unreal....No Stren ? The omly reason to really listen to this service ? ....This company is totally screwed.

juniormaj
Jun 18, 2009, 02:33 AM
Finally.

It appears to have the same channel listing regardless of XM or Sirius online account.
At first launch it asks for "Sirius Subscriber" or "XM Subscriber" and doesn't have an option for both, which doesn't seem to matter since it's one unified channel list available to both brands.

There do seem to be a lot of holes in the programming choices (some of them are glaring, in fact), but as the mobile phone medium was probably not covered under their carriage agreements I'm guessing they are doing the best they can on this one.

The app is working nicely on my original issue iPhone, and even sounds decent on EDGE, although I haven't tested it in a low signal area. It's not CD quality, of course, but it's passable for what it is.

vassillios
Jun 18, 2009, 05:07 AM
The Sirius/XM app would be the same way. If the phone is having trouble getting the 3G or any signal, this will happen.

Nope....I have FULL bars. When I was beta testing the nicemac app, I only had drop outs when moving from wifi to 3G or NO service was available

vassillios
Jun 18, 2009, 05:09 AM
Sirius just ****ed themselves with not offering Howard.

clborden
Jun 18, 2009, 05:43 AM
I'm friggen beside myself!! No Howard...they always look to screw the consumer. Terrible.:mad:

carence23
Jun 18, 2009, 06:41 AM
I like Sirius radio, but without Howard, I won't subscribe!

janstett
Jun 18, 2009, 07:25 AM

CBS Radio = No Dopey and Antnee
92.3 Free FM = No Dopey and Antnee

Howard let it slip that only around 200,000 people on average are listening to those two dopes on SiriusXM. Way to bring in subscribers!

Seriously these two are going to be podcasting shortly...

janstett
Jun 18, 2009, 07:28 AM
I'm glad to have the app but I'm shocked there is no Howard.

The Bacteria does show up (I have Best of XM).

I can only hope AT&T is afraid of all the traffic Howard would generate and are waiting to see how the app does with everything else during a trial period. Same reason Sling Player is crippled from 3G.

ghoststan
Jun 18, 2009, 07:41 AM
i wonder if on trial mode the howard wont show unless you do premium? calling custumer service

ghoststan
Jun 18, 2009, 07:46 AM
the operator from india said that you need to be a premium subscriber to get howard doing the trial the channel wont be there anyone try it as a premium sub?

richmonddjs
Jun 18, 2009, 08:12 AM
I'm a premium member. I see two sirius xm downloads. I downloaded one, but now when I go to both it says installed.

iphone529
Jun 18, 2009, 08:23 AM
look at the ratings on this app, everyone wants HOWARD, DO something Sirius.

ghoststan
Jun 18, 2009, 08:23 AM
i email and call them this is what i got..
Some select programming, including MLB® Play-by-Play, NFL Play-by-Play, SIRIUS NASCAR® Radio, and Howard Stern, will not be available on the iPhone and iPod touch. Listeners will continue to be able to access that programming through the platforms they are currently offered on.

CaryMacGuy
Jun 18, 2009, 08:25 AM
This could be a great way for Sirius/XM to use the accessories API...They can have Sirius XM on the go with the choice of direct SAT connection or IP connection.

They could have an accessory that allows one to use iPhone as an actual in car Sirius Radio. Since the iPhone is not bound by buttons, they could give it the same DVR like functionality as Starmate 5. I would buy that app in a heartbeat (along with the attachment).

Then when I am at home and don't have access to a direct SAT connection, I could use my WiFi to connect to Sirius Online using an IP connection.
Of course just like the radios, they could have an in-home dock that one could use to connect via Satellite.

Finally the kicker would be that if the user was listening via Satellite and the connection was lost, the app optionally would seamlessly switch to the IP connection.

richmonddjs
Jun 18, 2009, 08:29 AM
oh well, back to orb.

lfine39
Jun 18, 2009, 08:37 AM
I waited for this app for 2 years now. Finally its here and No Howard UNBELIEVABLE!!!! The only reason I have Sirius is because of HS. I can't believe Howard has anything to do with this, I do not think he would screw his fans I believe it is all SIRIUS screw them..........

cbdudek
Jun 18, 2009, 08:48 AM
CBS Radio = No Dopey and Antnee
92.3 Free FM = No Dopey and Antnee

Howard let it slip that only around 200,000 people on average are listening to those two dopes on SiriusXM. Way to bring in subscribers!

Seriously these two are going to be podcasting shortly...

I am no fanboy of either of these people, and its obvious you are speaking from ignorance and bias. Both of these personalities have been on the air for a long time for a reason. They are entertaining to some people. To say one side or the other sucks or will be podcasting soon is a statement made from ignorance or bias. Nothing more.

Be.Jammmin
Jun 18, 2009, 08:49 AM
i email and call them this is what i got..
Some select programming, including MLB® Play-by-Play, NFL Play-by-Play, SIRIUS NASCAR® Radio, and Howard Stern, will not be available on the iPhone and iPod touch. Listeners will continue to be able to access that programming through the platforms they are currently offered on.

That logic from the customer service rep makes no sense, because while I can't listen to those sports broadcasts via Sirius's Website, I can still listen to Howard. It sounds like a bunch of excuses.

Oh well, at least I still have orb.

B

iphone529
Jun 18, 2009, 09:05 AM
i just looked over the content again, and they have O&A available but no HOWARD, WTF does that mean???? very strange

sblasl
Jun 18, 2009, 09:09 AM
Where the heck is the artwork?

Anyone familiar with the nicemac app? Is this their app that Sirius/XM pulled out from underneath them? This app seems to be very basic in comparison to what the folks at nicemac were putting together.

bbotte
Jun 18, 2009, 10:34 AM
LOL Oprah is on it. Not Howard.

The only hope is that Howard is going to have an app he charges for his content to make him the money.

wlmowery
Jun 18, 2009, 11:47 AM
I love all these people who think Sirius/XM purposefully left off their favorite channels (Howard, NFL/MLB Audio broadcasts). You don't think Sirius wants to include them to increase their listener base?

The answer is very simple, and has been pointed out numerous times. Sirius/XM does not have the LEGAL right to offer these channels under the terms of their contracts with Howard or the NFL or MLB. Music/performance rights, like most copyright use agreements, are highly specific on the MEDIUM through which you may use the rights you are licensing. It appears that when Sirius signed up Howard, Howard did not authorize Sirius to provide his content on mobile phones. The Starplayr and Pocket Radio examples are different as both were essentially simple extensions of the web streaming by THIRD parties. NOT BY SIRIUS.

So get a grip. If you want Howard on the iPhone app, push Howard to license those performance rights to Sirius. You'll never get MLB or NFL to license live play-by-play as both will have their own apps to do so (MLB already does).

(And yes, I have professional experience in this setting....)

wlmowery
Jun 18, 2009, 11:48 AM
I waited for this app for 2 years now. Finally its here and No Howard UNBELIEVABLE!!!! The only reason I have Sirius is because of HS. I can't believe Howard has anything to do with this, I do not think he would screw his fans I believe it is all SIRIUS screw them..........

See above. It most definately is a result of the terms of the contract between Howard and Sirius. (Same reason for NFL and MLB play-by-play rights).

djrobsd
Jun 19, 2009, 02:33 PM
SiriusXM sucks. Anyone with half an eardrum would notice how tinny, dull, flat, and horrible the audio quality is. To add to that, they dropped a lot of their great stations during the merger. I know some of you will laugh, but let's see, disco. Tell me WHERE on the radio you can find a station playing disco? NOPE! So XM and Sirius BOTH had their own disco channels before the merger, and then after, they dropped BOTH disco stations. One of the reasons people pay a premium for sat radio is because they can get music there that's not found on the radio. Way to go idiots...

Anyway, between Pandora, Nullriver Tuner, Last.FM, and some of the other apps on my iPhone, I will NEVER PAY for a subscription to SiriusXM ever again.

janstett
Jun 19, 2009, 03:23 PM
I am no fanboy of either of these people, and its obvious you are speaking from ignorance and bias. Both of these personalities have been on the air for a long time for a reason. They are entertaining to some people. To say one side or the other sucks or will be podcasting soon is a statement made from ignorance or bias. Nothing more.

Quite the contrary. My opinion is educated and I cite as evidence that O&A are a sinking ship:

- In one of the biggest boneheaded moves ever, O&A sign up with XM pre-merger (presumably to be to XM what HS was to Sirius, but more because they were radioactive after getting fired by WNEW), then proceed to sign a deal with CBS radio air part of the show censored and for free. So why exactly would I buy XM to listen to what I can get for free?

- Even when they were available for free on CBS radio (Free FM), O&A had such abysmal ratings in some markets (such as Las Vegas and Chicago where they registered a 0.0) as to be laughably horrid and were rapidly being dropped by individual stations.

- When CBS abandoned their Free FM format, O&A went out with the bathwater. If they were such ratings juggernauts CBS would have retained them for some or all of their stations.

- In New York City 92.3 Free FM (WXRK) O&A actually racked up worse ratings than the ill-fated David Lee Roth morning show that preceded it.

- Sirius knows exactly how many people are listening to each channel. There is no Arbitron mystery like there is with terrestrial radio, they know exactly what everybody is listening to. Granted HS is a biased source, but in one rant complaining about Sirius and XM overpaying for talent (not just O&A, but Oprah, Martha Stewart, Jamie Foxx, Eminem, etc.) he spit out that O&A average 200,000 subscribers tuning in per week.

So, I've given you facts, mostly objective. O&A are losers, CBS hung their hats on them and failed. XM hung their hats on them and they're bringing in 200,000 subscribers. What have you given other than FUD and your own ignorance? O&A's slope is heading downwards quickly. If SiriusXM gets rid of them, then what? They've worn out their welcome in the broadcast and satellite worlds, that's why I said, only half-jokingly, that they'll be podcasting next. Some radio talent (including Howard) is actually considering bypassing terrestrial and satellite altogether and just going for internet-based broadcasting. That may also be why Howard vetoed his stations from the iPhone app.

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/2361/k37udu.jpg

I'm not a big fan of theirs (I did listen a bit back in the WNEW days but preferred Don & Mike), I listen to them a bit now. I know all about the history of both shows, being as I've listened to both for years and being in their home broadcast markets. I know O&A broadcasted from Howard's old studio at K-Rock, I know Anthony was on Howard's show doing Jackie impressions in the early 90s in a listener contest.

jasincity
Jun 19, 2009, 03:35 PM
Tell me WHERE on the radio you can find a station playing disco? NOPE! So XM and Sirius BOTH had their own disco channels before the merger, and then after, they dropped BOTH disco stations. One of the reasons people pay a premium for sat radio is because they can get music there that's not found on the radio. Way to go idiots...

Anyway, between Pandora, Nullriver Tuner, Last.FM, and some of the other apps on my iPhone, I will NEVER PAY for a subscription to SiriusXM ever again.

Actually disco is still on Sirius/XM--they brought it back several months ago--channel 81 for Sirius tuners.

Gakusei
Jun 22, 2009, 05:21 PM
Granted HS is a biased source, but in one rant complaining about Sirius and XM overpaying for talent (not just O&A, but Oprah, Martha Stewart, Jamie Foxx, Eminem, etc.) he spit out that O&A average 200,000 subscribers tuning in per week.
I'm willing to bet that XM paid less per subscriber for O&A than Sirius did for Howard :p. Seriously, though, SXM has no idea how many people are listening at any one time. The technology is for reception only, same as DirecTV/DISH.