Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I may be in the market for a MBA, as a second machine but I'm not sure what a good price is. I've seen them as low as 800 bucks and as high as 1700. While ebay isn't a good indicator (the 1.6Ghz 80gig for 1700 is over priced) I'm not sure what is a good price.

Also revision As seem to have a reputation of overheating, is it worth spending 800 (or more) for one, especially given its anemic GPU or should I just save up for a Rev B?

Thoughts, opinions and suggestions on the MBA would be greatly appreciated.

I currently own a MBP, that typically sits on my desk, plugged in to my monitor, ext drive, keyboard, printer etc. So its a little bit of a hassle to unplug everything when I just want to use it for some light work on my lap say in the living room. Plus having a second smaller mac for when I do travel could be a plus.

I'm also interested in perhaps using ubuntu on this either as via bootcamp/VMware. Not sure of that complicates matters at all.

NYU02

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2007
Ok, I hope this helps.

I just bought a Rev. B HD version and I love it. (Just bought it yesterday). I also did extensive research on a referb. Rev. A before as well. For the money and as my main comp. the rev. B was well worth it. If you have the money the upgraded performance is well worth it BUT be careful. There are a few screen models that are plagued with bad screens. They have lines running through them.

As far as the Rev. A goes. If you purchase a refurb from apple, most of the problems have been corrected as far as I was told. I used my friend referb A and for simple tasks (safari,mail, etc.) it was great. If you do go with an A buy from apple.

The Rev. A will handle every SIMPLE task you throw at it with no problems but if you want to heavy work over from your MBP go with a rev. B

Hope that helps.

NYU02

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
The only problem where the Rev.A might present is when doing anything graphically intensive. This even includes watching HD video. Asides from that, just install an app called CoolBook and your MBA will run perfectly.

AppleBot

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2009
Your best bet for a used, maybe even new, macbook air would be Amazon for a reasonable discount and a secure purchase.

You do not need coolbook for rev. A's anymore. Just keep it on a desk or on a wooden lap desk and you can use safari, mail, word, video editing, anything.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I watched Craig's List after my rev B SSD 1.86 was stolen. I saw 1.86 SSD for $1920. Saw 1.6 HDD for $1400. Both were new reseller. Refurbished from Apple $2149 and $1549. If you calculate no tax, Amazon isn't much more than refurbished.

mrrippey

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2009
if you want eBay, new Rev B HDD's can be had for $1300 or less an SSD versions for about $1800-$1900. I got my HDD REv B for $1200 and getting a 3-year Applecare for $75 so it works. If I Have lines, I will return to an Apple store until I get one that is cool with me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.