PDA

View Full Version : Bug in OS X?

latergator116
Apr 29, 2004, 06:32 PM
Hi. While browsing the Macrumors forum, I must have clicked on something to get a little pop-up box that I now can't get rid of. There is no way to click on it and it always apperas in front of a window (makes it even more annoying). I tried quitting Safari and sleeping the computer, but neither have worked. I know I could probably fix this by restarting, but I wanted to know if anyone has had this problem before and if it is indeed a bug. Thanks.

I am attaching an image below.

Edit: hmmm... after about 15 minutes, it just seemed to dissapear. I guess it must have been some sort of bug...

Sparky's
Apr 29, 2004, 06:44 PM
You must have a different viewer than mine, I'm using Safari and I have never seen a window that even comes close to that in MacRumors. You might want to PM Arn and see if maybe it's a Forum Bug.

latergator116
Apr 29, 2004, 06:51 PM
I somehow think this is a type of bug in os x. I can't really describe the window, but it has an os x feel to it. BTW, this is the first time I have ever seen.

I am trying to figure out what key or button I pressed to make the window appear.

nesbitt_a
Apr 29, 2004, 06:51 PM
That looks to me like an expose bug.

javabear90
Apr 29, 2004, 06:53 PM
This has happend to me several times. It is very annoying. The only I can get rid of it is rebooting/ logging off. I think it's a bug with expose.
:mad:

latergator116
Apr 29, 2004, 06:55 PM
That looks to me like an expose bug.

ahhhh... I think you are right. I guess I had my mouse over a MR window in expose and it didn't take away the label when I pressed f10 again. Thanks. I will report this bug to apple.

Edit: where do you submit bug reports to apple?

ingenious
Apr 29, 2004, 08:51 PM
it happens to me whenever Dreamweaver 6.0 freezes (i cant upgrade to MX 2004 or 6.1; first cuz of money, second cuz it messed up dw even more... :() except i have the box that comes up w/e u roll over a button....

on a side note.... does anyone know how to stop my dock, cmd-tab, and expose from freezing? or how to restart them after they freeze? the other day, expose froze along with the dock and cmd tab and i had mini window that i couldnt get bigger cuz of the dock being frozen.... :confused:

abhishekit
Apr 29, 2004, 09:07 PM
yah..i have seen it too...

haiggy
Apr 29, 2004, 10:32 PM
Yes, this is an Exposť bug... all you have to do is press an Exposť key or use a mouse corner and it will go away.

PlaceofDis
Apr 29, 2004, 10:48 PM
Yes, this is an Exposť bug... all you have to do is press an Exposť key or use a mouse corner and it will go away.

exact same thing works for me anytime it happens

HexMonkey
Apr 29, 2004, 10:50 PM
on a side note.... does anyone know how to stop my dock, cmd-tab, and expose from freezing? or how to restart them after they freeze? the other day, expose froze along with the dock and cmd tab and i had mini window that i couldnt get bigger cuz of the dock being frozen.... :confused:

These functions are all controlled by the Dock process. There are several ways of relaunching it. You could open /Applications/Utilites/Activity Monitor, select Dock, click the "Quit Process" button, and then "Force Quit". Alternatively you can open /Applications/Utilites/Terminal and type in "killall Dock".

mms
Apr 29, 2004, 11:11 PM
Yeah, happens once in a while. But I've never had to relaunch or anything to fix it. Any of the Expose buttons did the trick.

latergator116
Apr 30, 2004, 06:38 AM

Thanks. I don't remember if I pressed the expose keys, but if it happens again, I will try that.

ingenious
Apr 30, 2004, 09:06 AM

that never works for me.

ingenious
Apr 30, 2004, 09:08 AM
These functions are all controlled by the Dock process. There are several ways of relaunching it. You could open /Applications/Utilites/Activity Monitor, select Dock, click the "Quit Process" button, and then "Force Quit". Alternatively you can open /Applications/Utilites/Terminal and type in "killall Dock".

ive actually tried those and it never restarts... terminal says it cannot find the process and activity monitor freezes when i try to force quit the dock. and no i did not try the terminal thing after the activity monitor or vice versa.... maybe i am doing this wrong? :confused: