PDA

View Full Version : I think I screwed up my airport...

atacinus
Apr 30, 2004, 05:33 PM
okay, I use my school's WIFI connection, and i.ve never really set anything up...i just open up my laptop and it connects and i go. But today, the signal bugged out on me, and i wasn't sure why...so i tried to set up a network...and created one that doesn't work [because i don't know how to set one up]...and now it is stuck on that one [because i don't know how to delete it] and it won't go back to just automatically finding the school's connection anymore...so I need to know how to delete the network i "made". All I did was click on my airport menu on the toolbar and click 'create new network' - how do i delte that?

Thanks,
Christien.

Mal
Apr 30, 2004, 06:29 PM
I would think that simply turning off and then back on your airport card would handle that. If not, a restart should be sufficient.

JW

atacinus
Apr 30, 2004, 06:46 PM
i tried both of those...but it still [when i click on the airport icon] is stuck on my stupid network that doesn't work...?? I tried to find a delte option...but[???]

Christien.

thecombatwombat
Apr 30, 2004, 06:57 PM
Go to system preferences -> network -> airport and make sure that:

1) "By Default Join" is set to "automatic."

2) Maybe try unsetting "allow this computer to create networks."

Hope this helps.

atacinus
Apr 30, 2004, 07:14 PM
just did that [turning off the option to create networks]...that got rid of the dumb network i created...but will that prevent me from getting a signal from my school? because now it won't find the signal anymore...

Christien.

thecombatwombat
Apr 30, 2004, 07:24 PM
just did that [turning off the option to create networks]...that got rid of the dumb network i created...but will that prevent me from getting a signal from my school? because now it won't find the signal anymore...

Christien.

Hmmm, so long as it's still set to jump onto the first available network, it should be fine. Maybe reboot just to be sure.

100% sure the school network isn't still having problems?

atacinus
Apr 30, 2004, 08:45 PM
thanks everyone...after re-boot my machine is connected to my WIFI!!!

Christien.