PDA

View Full Version : Its been a while, so lets "grade" Genius!

Winter Charm
May 17, 2009, 07:48 AM
Its been a while since genius was announced, and now im wondering if it has improved or not, so answer the poll and tell me if your Genius playlists were spot on, okay, so-so, or crappy. I just re-started genius and i can say that it has worked well (i started it on the first day, but it really sucked back then)...
But now, i am changing my opinion, and it seems that :apple: and Jobs were right, and that it would get smarter :)

i am now going to use this more than Pandora. i really want to know if everyone else feels the same way :D

northy124
May 17, 2009, 07:57 AM
It is crap, I get songs either unrelated to the song I chose or I get songs that I already have from the same artist (for buying).

paulsalter
May 17, 2009, 08:04 AM
The novelty wore after after about 2 weeks, I have just tried it now and it says Genius is unavailable for this song.

I am not a fan of the whole genius thing

Genius just for you is very poor in the iTunes store and the genius side panel is no good on the right hand side of a MacBook screen, takes up to much space, lets have an option for it at the bottom so we can choose and also stop asking me to buy songs i already own.

Overall I give Genius 2/10, good idea but doesn't work very well (for me anyway)

iSaint
May 17, 2009, 08:23 AM
I like it. It's fun to create different playlist because I have a fairly diverse collection.

I hate that the feature can't be added to my iPod Classic. I still don't understand why?!

Winter Charm
May 17, 2009, 09:03 AM
most of the time i keep the sidebar closed. the only annoying thing is that it works with music encoded in iTunes only (or bought from the iTunes store)

but as long as those two things work out, i havent had any problems with it.

JCastro
May 17, 2009, 10:07 AM
I have to say that it is just okay. Sometimes it is spot on and other times it seems to pull something out of left field. It is still not too bad though.

TuffLuffJimmy
May 17, 2009, 10:10 AM
most of the time i keep the sidebar closed. the only annoying thing is that it works with music encoded in iTunes only (or bought from the iTunes store)
As far as I can tell your music just has to be properly tagged, it doesn't matter where it was encoded.

Heath
May 17, 2009, 11:35 AM
I find it doesn't add anything to the listening experience for me, so it's turned off here.

instaxgirl
May 17, 2009, 11:55 AM
I hated the whole sending information to iTunes or whatever it did. Took ages and was a pain, so I don't bother.

JDee
May 17, 2009, 12:01 PM
Turned off for me - so annoying and useless!

iEvolution
May 17, 2009, 12:40 PM
So-So, about 50% of the time it won't work on my collection on my 120gb classic.

Winter Charm
May 17, 2009, 01:09 PM
So-So, about 50% of the time it won't work on my collection on my 120gb classic.

i see what you mean. My taste in music is quite different, and i am starting to realize that it is not able to find matches for all of my songs ... this is quite disappointing. I was really hoping for a good way to find more music easily.

bozz2006
May 17, 2009, 05:47 PM
i like it quite a bit. I have about 30 gb's of music, and it helps me rediscover some of my music, and creates playlists for me. when I listen to Elvis Costello - "Radio, Radio", and get in the mood for similar stuff, it does a pretty good job of finding that stuff for me.

NoSmokingBandit
May 17, 2009, 06:03 PM
I find it to be completely useless. It doesnt make any kind of rational choices when making my playlists. It put Fleet Foxes and Def Leppard on the same playlist.

JNB
May 17, 2009, 06:04 PM
For god's sake, just let me turn the damn thing off.

Winter Charm
May 17, 2009, 08:46 PM
i like it quite a bit. I have about 30 gb's of music, and it helps me rediscover some of my music, and creates playlists for me. when I listen to Elvis Costello - "Radio, Radio", and get in the mood for similar stuff, it does a pretty good job of finding that stuff for me.

30 GB! :eek: Nice! lol. :cool:

bozz2006
May 17, 2009, 08:51 PM
compared to many people on this forum, 30GB is a drop in the bucket. of course, many of them encode their music at a pretty high rate. mine is all 128kbps AAC, right up until all the music in the itunes store went to 256 and default CD rips went to 256 as well.

TuffLuffJimmy
May 17, 2009, 08:53 PM
30 GB! :eek: Nice! lol. :cool:

Have you not been in the "how big is your iTunes library" threads? Some people have libraries terabytes in size.

Willis
May 17, 2009, 09:17 PM
It's a feature I like and use quite alot. More than I could say about the Mini-store :rolleyes:

For one, I don't use the sidebar. I simply find a track and make playlists.

Sometimes I never know what to listen to, so will just go with a random track and do a list off that. End up listening to some weird selections, but it's nice to have something different. Then of course there's the good playlists for favourite songs and the like

Thats me anyway

Insulin Junkie
May 18, 2009, 12:58 AM
Me personally... hate it. Gave it a chance, didn't like it, turned it back on after a few months and gave it a second chance, hated it again, turned it off for good.

bozz2006
May 18, 2009, 07:09 AM
I can see where someone may not like it, but how can you hate it? lol

Insulin Junkie
May 18, 2009, 07:18 AM

As someone who listens predominantly to European underground stuff I really do hate it as it's never even only once given me anything truly similar to what I listen to. (Or if you prefer this; really, really, really don't like it):o I'm better off checking the similar bands list on last.fm.

bozz2006
May 18, 2009, 07:24 AM
Gotcha. i suppose if you don't listen to music that itunes is "familiar" with, it won't do you a bit of good.

NoSmokingBandit
May 18, 2009, 07:34 AM

I can put my whole library on Shuffle and get more coherent playlists than Genius, so i hate it because they spent their time working on this piece of junk instead of making iTunes better and faster.

Insulin Junkie
May 18, 2009, 07:50 AM
Gotcha. i suppose if you don't listen to music that itunes is "familiar" with, it won't do you a bit of good.

Why? I said I hated it, not that it's a bad piece of software.
On a side note, I hate the iTunes store too, for that exact same reason.

Willis
May 18, 2009, 07:53 AM
I can put my whole library on Shuffle and get more coherent playlists than Genius, so i hate it because they spent their time working on this piece of junk instead of making iTunes better and faster.

I find Shuffle just plays an album with a few other tracks throw in then may go between two albums and move to a thirds and fifth before finishing off the first ones. Meh at least Genius gives me a more random feel. For me it works.

I never realised iTunes was slow to start with :rolleyes:

yorkshire
May 18, 2009, 11:01 AM
So so. Can't always create playlists from some of my songs.

CPD_1
May 18, 2009, 02:20 PM
It doesn't have a problem with the Beatles anymore which is the biggest improvement I've seen.

Also, you can turn it off under the store menu.

Clincher
May 18, 2009, 04:22 PM
It's okay... sometimes it will give decent results and other times ridiculous results.

mkrishnan
May 18, 2009, 04:25 PM
I'm generally pretty happy with it (use it predominantly on my iPhone). The only problem is that, sometimes, songs get oversampled into the playlists... I have a couple of songs that are just constantly getting picked for every playlist. Sometimes it's even to the point where that song will not only show up, say, as playlist item #2, but will keep showing up there even when I keep refreshing the playlist repeatedly. The only solution really is to uncheck them and stop them from syncing onto the iPhone.... I would like to see a thumbs up/down interface like Pandora that could suppress songs from being selected without having to keep them off the device altogether.

bohbot16
May 19, 2009, 02:09 PM
I'm generally pretty happy with it (use it predominantly on my iPhone). The only problem is that, sometimes, songs get oversampled into the playlists... I have a couple of songs that are just constantly getting picked for every playlist. Sometimes it's even to the point where that song will not only show up, say, as playlist item #2, but will keep showing up there even when I keep refreshing the playlist repeatedly. The only solution really is to uncheck them and stop them from syncing onto the iPhone.... I would like to see a thumbs up/down interface like Pandora that could suppress songs from being selected without having to keep them off the device altogether.

Have you tried rating your songs? I was under the impression that this helped Genius pick songs.

mkrishnan
May 19, 2009, 02:15 PM
Have you tried rating your songs? I was under the impression that this helped Genius pick songs.

Can anyone confirm that? The problem is, right now, none of my some 6000+ songs are rated. I guess I could certainly block rate them all and give everything except this handful of songs I don't want in lists a 4-5 star rating and then give the block songs a 1-star rating....